Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/22/2006 1:29:30 PM EDT
I have friend in MA, that wants to buy my Ruger Vaquero Single action 45LC. He just told me that his dealer or any dealer will not take guns that were not originally registered in MA! Something about a change in the law.

He also told me that dealers there cannot sell new GLOCKS to civs only LE. Why only Glocks?
Can anyone enlighten me here...hinking.gif
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:29:37 AM EDT
[#1]
All handguns sold by MA Dealers (FFLs) in MA must have passed a number of tests (similar to CA), approved by EOPS and put on their list of approved handguns (only published 2-4x/year) AND certified to meet other requirements by the AG's regulations.

Bottom line is that NO "old" handguns will ever be on the EOPS List! Mfr has to submit 5 samples for destructive testing to one of five approved test labs.

ONLY exceptions are:

- private transactions between MA Residents with LTCs (interstate transfer of handguns by BATFE Regs can NOT happen except at FFL in buyer's state),

- inheritance,

- handgun must have been in legal possession of a MA LTC/Dealer's license on 10/21/98. This is the "grandfather clause".

So this is why your gun probably can't be sold in MA by any FFL.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:01:22 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
All handguns sold by MA Dealers (FFLs) in MA must have passed a number of tests (similar to CA), approved by EOPS and put on their list of approved handguns (only published 2-4x/year) AND certified to meet other requirements by the AG's regulations.

Does that mean that if my 6 shooter is on that list of approved guns then I can sell it to a MA dealer? Or does the list only pertains to guns already existing in MA? I am confused...
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:02:35 PM EDT
[#3]
And I thought CT was bad...
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:56:15 PM EDT
[#4]
IFF the 6-shooter is on the official EOPS List AND is AG-compliant, yes you can sell to a dealer. BTW, the dealer can buy anything . . . they just can't sell non-approved handguns to MA Residents. So most MA dealers won't touch it by choice.

The list is very specific. When S&W changed their model number from 1911Sc (approved) to 1911PD, they couldn't sell the PD model in MA until the next list came out. If a S&W 64-7 is listed, then a 64-3 may or may not be legally salable by the dealer (only if that particular model number is on the List). If the SS model is listed but the blued model isn't, you can't sell the blue model.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:36:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Where can I find the list....

Actually found the list http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eopssubtopic&L=4&L0=Home&L1=Firearms+Registration+%26+Laws&L2=Firearms+Support+Services&L3=Approved+Weapons+Rosters&sid=Eeops and my 6 shooter is on the list.

Now, if this is correct then can I do a person to person transfer?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:55:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Please re-read my earlier post here.

Private transfers across state lines earns you (or anyone) a 10 year vacation at the Gray Bar Hotel, compliments of the Feds!
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:52:46 AM EDT
[#7]
DUH...  Thanks. Hopefully this will go through fine with his dealer and he can get the ruger. Is MASS gun laws worst then CA?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:41:18 PM EDT
[#8]
ghost,

Private transfers across state lines are Prohibited by FED LAW. Nothing to do with MA or CA! States may make transfers more difficult but can't allow you to violate Fed Law!

Yes, MA is worse than CA regarding what guns can be sold, by whom, etc. As for CCW and licenses, MA is a hell of a lot better than most of CA.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:46:12 AM EDT
[#9]
LenS,

Thanks for the info. I knew about person to person transfer law and as it pertains to state to state. I just had a brain fart because it was to a friend but forgot that he was across the border. Thanks for straightening me out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top