Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2006 4:22:37 PM EDT
Philadelphia 76ers announce Gun buy-back program

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- The Philadelphia 76ers and police officials Tuesday announced a program aimed at curbing gun violence by exchanging tickets for guns.

The one-week program opens Wednesday. Anyone can bring a working gun into a city police station and exchange it for a voucher good for a pair of tickets to an upcoming 76ers game, no questions asked.

"If we get one (gun), it's a successful program," said Billy King, the team's president. "If we get one, if we get a thousand, whatever we get that's going to be good enough."

Sitting at a table with 15 guns ranging from semiautomatic rifles to tiny, easily concealed handguns, Police Commissioner Sylvester Johnson said the program wasn't only for illegal guns. He would be happy if law-abiding citizens turned in their firearms, too.

"Any gun that can kill needs to be taken off the streets," Johnson said.

The city's murder rate spiked last year and is on a similar pace in 2006. There were 380 homicides in the city in 2005 -- the highest total in five years. There were 44 homicides in the city from Jan. 1 through Monday, just slightly off last year's pace.

The program is similar to one the 76ers ran in 1999. "Guns for Gear" brought in close to 900 guns in just three days.

The 76ers aren't the first NBA team to run such a program. The Denver Nuggets traded tickets for guns for several years as part of the "Operation Cease Fire" program in the mid to late '90s.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:24:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll bet the starting five have already turned in enough guns to cover their Homeez' tickets!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:25:04 PM EDT
[#2]

Never going to watch a 76'ers game again.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:25:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I will offer $50 over their price
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:26:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Dupage &
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:27:19 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'll bet the starting five have already turned in enough guns to cover their Homeez' tickets!

I'll bet the starting 5 can buy tickets with their salaries.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:28:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I wonder how many Glocks and shit Allen Iverson packs

On another note, sounds like a good use for a nice Lorcin.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:28:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Yup, I'm sure that when they get all the guns off the street crime will go down
(crime is almost nonexistent in areas with the most gun restrictions, right?)
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:32:19 PM EDT
[#8]
the majority of these murders are against people who have heavy criminal records. THINNING THE HERD OF CRIMINAL SCUM.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:32:48 PM EDT
[#9]
With programs like this it is not too difficult to figure out the reason for many people's inherent distrust of police officers.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:35:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Johnson said the program wasn't only for illegal guns. He would be happy if law-abiding citizens turned in their firearms, too.

And, and, and if all law abiding men cut their dicks off there would never ever be another rape victim...
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:36:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
the majority of these murders are against people who have heavy criminal records. THINNING THE HERD OF CRIMINAL SCUM.

And the poor innocent souls who get caught up in the collateral damage????? Tough shit?????
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:38:58 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Johnson said the program wasn't only for illegal guns. He would be happy if law-abiding citizens turned in their firearms, too.

And, and, and if all law abiding men cut their dicks off there would never ever be another rape victim...

I'll be forwarding your idea to the National Organization of Women.
I bet they'll think it is fantastic.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:28:05 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Dupage &
img.photobucket.com/albums/v732/pcsutton/med2.gif

+1

Give me a break sixers tickets are worth 10 bucks a piece..

How does this seem fair for my 9...ha ha ha..

What a joke they dont even offer a fair price..
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:47:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:48:51 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
img160.imageshack.us/img160/289/sylvester3cp.jpg

Chief Compass..... is that you?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:50:20 PM EDT
[#16]
This is why everyone should have a couple dozen Lorcins or equivelant.  They are total pos's, but I am hoping some do gooder of a representative will offer a buy back and I can give them this crap.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:52:05 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
img160.imageshack.us/img160/289/sylvester3cp.jpg

This here medal was cause I was a stupid shit. Its a gold plated turd just like me.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:53:53 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
This is why everyone should have a couple dozen Lorcins or equivelant.  They are total pos's, but I am hoping some do gooder of a representative will offer a buy back and I can give them this crap.

Screw that! I'm not going to help them with their cause just because they offer some cash for my guns.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:04:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Sometimes they actually offer 50-100 dollars during these programs.  I would get 4-5 rusted/shot out barrel rifles and turn those in.  Then I would use the money to buy something really evil.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:06:34 PM EDT
[#20]

Law abiding citizens should TURN IN THEIR GUNS!

I need to take a shit on the chest of who ever had that idea.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:48:33 PM EDT
[#21]
So, if I was a criminal, I'd go steal someone else's gun (because that's what criminals do) and turn it in, keeping my own guns for myself.

But at least one more "killer gun" would be off the streets, so I guess the Philly PD is okay with that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top