Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2006 2:59:26 PM EDT
For the Sheriff's Office I work for we have to use our own sidearms. Since I started I am using my only handgun that I own which is a Springfield 1911 Mil-Spec that was modified with a skeleton hammer and trigger, I new S&A beavertail grip safety and new flat MSH topped off with hogue grips. It is pretty new yet and a very nice gun. Problem lies is that I do not have night sights which I desperatly need. I would also like a light rail for the option of a flashlight. So the problem is do I put night sights on for $250 which would mean milling of the slide and refinishing or do I start over and just buy a brand new Kimber or Springfield with all the options already on it.

So does anyone know if Springfield or Kimber offers LE discounts on thier 1911s and how do I have to go about it to get it???

I could buy a brand new Kimber with all the goods and a rail for $850.00 from the local gun dealor which was the best deal he could give me. But the price is still a little high for me since I just started the Deputy job.

Need some opinions on what would be better, I am ultimately leaning towards a new gun becuase I think it would be more reliable in the end coming from the factory all done rather than my 1911 which I had worked on. But I don't know.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:49:13 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
For the Sheriff's Office I work for we have to use our own sidearms. Since I started I am using my only handgun that I own which is a Springfield 1911 Mil-Spec that was modified with a skeleton hammer and trigger, I new S&A beavertail grip safety and new flat MSH topped off with hogue grips. It is pretty new yet and a very nice gun. Problem lies is that I do not have night sights which I desperatly need. I would also like a light rail for the option of a flashlight. So the problem is do I put night sights on for $250 which would mean milling of the slide and refinishing or do I start over and just buy a brand new Kimber or Springfield with all the options already on it.

So does anyone know if Springfield or Kimber offers LE discounts on thier 1911s and how do I have to go about it to get it???

I could buy a brand new Kimber with all the goods and a rail for $850.00 from the local gun dealor which was the best deal he could give me. But the price is still a little high for me since I just started the Deputy job.

Need some opinions on what would be better, I am ultimately leaning towards a new gun becuase I think it would be more reliable in the end coming from the factory all done rather than my 1911 which I had worked on. But I don't know.

You do not need to mill your slide to put night sights on. If you have a post mounted front sight, you can get sights that will work to replace them. Any competent gunsmith ought to be able to replace them for you, and will likely need to silver solder the front sight post. The rail on a handgun, for duty use, is overrated, IMO.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:39:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Shouldn't need to re-mill for night sights.
Kimber Meprolights are not that expensive either. For my HK they were $80 and they came on my Kimber. Looks like the 1911 sights run about $100. Having a gunsmith put them on shouldn't be that expensive.

What department are you at? That policy sounds very similar to the one I'm reserving for (You can IM it if you want). If you're at my department there are a couple people there that know more than enough about 1911s to help steer you in the right direction.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:47:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Contact Arizona Gun Runners, they might be able to help.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top