Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 12/17/2012 3:57:50 AM EDT
Just a reminder, the Supreme Court ruled (2005?) that law enforcement has no duty to protect individuals.

This is the first instance I've seen of it.  And it is down right disgusting.

LINK

Car runs off the road and into the Mississippi River.

Police and bystanders were on the scene almost instantly.

A master diver (who is also a certified rescue diver) who lives across the street from the incident was on the scene.

The car was still floating in the water, but sinking.

The officer called for other responders, but had zero interest in a rescue attempt.
The master diver wanted to attempt a rescue, but the officer refused to allow it.

A police rescue boat arrived on the scene.  I've seen this thing.  It is equipped with everything you can imagine.

No rescue was attempted.  Nobody was trained.

They watched the car sink.  

5 hours later they retrieved the dead 28 year old female driver's body from the car.    

Official response from the police:  "It’s pretty much a self-rescue situation"

All I'm getting from this story is that we can't count on the police to attempt a rescue.
In fact, we should count on them preventing real heros from helping.

I'm a little jaded as I lived in Moline for 11 years and thought their police force was awesome.

Hell, where I live now, you would be lucky to get a police response at all.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 4:01:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 4:02:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Ban the Mississippi River
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 4:12:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Castle Rock v. Gonzales
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 4:14:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I am also a Master SCUBA diver who is also a certified and trained rescue diver and to be honest I'd probably have let the car sink as well. That's a pretty dangerous situation to be in because the car is sinking and there's no telling what it will do or where is will go as it sinks. It'd really suck to have the car roll over on you and pin you on the bottom while you watch your pressure gauge run to zero.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 4:15:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The Mississippi river has claimed many lives of those who went for a swim. I lived on that river for years. Going out in that water is about stupid.

so, why have police rescue boats, then?
fishing?
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 4:15:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The Mississippi river has claimed many lives of those who went for a swim. I lived on that river for years. Going out in that water is about stupid.

When my son lived in Baton Rouge we toyed with the idea of taking one of our boats out. After looking closely at the currents we decided not to do it. Stupid idea.

Link Posted: 12/17/2012 4:17:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
All I'm getting from this story is that we can't count on the police to attempt a rescue.
In fact, we should count on them preventing real heros from helping.

People who wanted to rescue them could have rushed the cop - some would have got past him.  I doubt the cop would have used deadly force to stop them.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 4:19:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 4:20:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 4:20:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 4:21:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I agree with this. If it were a lake I would go in myself and attempt a rescue. You cannot simply jump into the Mississippi River, you WILL be swept away and likely die.

Link Posted: 12/17/2012 4:22:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If it had been a marked patrol car in the river that rescue diver would have been told "Fuck it, go for i!!"

staff trolling staff

yeah!
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 4:22:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Don't drive into rivers.

If you are going to be stupid, you should also be tough.

Then again, I think if you have a FD in a town with a river in it, they should have people trained to do river rescues. But that's just me.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 4:23:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If it had been a marked patrol car in the river that rescue diver would have been told "Fuck it, go for i!!"

Agreed

Link Posted: 12/17/2012 4:24:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 4:26:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Don't drive into rivers.

Then again, I think if you have a FD in a town with a river in it, they should have people trained to do river rescues. But that's just me.

Too busy writing citations? Yeah, I can see the logic here.

Oh, and what if the car had a mechanical failure that led it to dump into the river.  I bet if that was your wife or life partner you may feel otherwise.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 4:26:32 AM EDT
[#17]
If the diver really wanted he could have gone in. A dangerous situation but the cop can't do shit.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 4:26:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That river was in my backyard for the first 22 years of my life.  It is just water. There are unsafe places on the river to swim for sure, same goes for ponds, oceans, rivers, and creeks everywhere, but a blanket statement like that is just wrong.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 4:28:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Illinois already has a river ban I think...

Link Posted: 12/17/2012 4:29:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

BAN IT ALL TO HELL
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 4:29:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Ban the Mississippi River women drivers

Link Posted: 12/17/2012 4:30:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't drive into rivers.

Too busy writing citations? Yeah, I can see the logic here.

Oh, and what if the car had a mechanical failure that led it to dump into the river.  I bet if that was your wife or life partner you may feel otherwise.

Yeah, and what if aliens took control of the car and caused it to crash.

Unlikely that a vehicle would uncontrolably veer to the river, with a loss of brakes, steering, all at once.

What if my wife or life partner was hit by that idiotic mechanically unsound car, that was on it''s way to the river? What then?

Emotional argument trumped.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 4:30:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

fishing?

They answered that in the article. To pull people out of the water who are on the surface

Quoted:
Around here the boat guys are often the least fit and able to do any kind of strenuous rescue. It's a "treat" assignment for old cops to get on seniority so they can put around on the river. But then we have a hugely obese bike cop around here too. Maybe it's not that bad in other states.

We don't have a "rescue boat".
We have a lake patrol thats on the water to enforce navigation laws.
Occasionally theres a service call for stranded boaters, but we don't portray our boat as a "rescue boat"...and with funding cut backs these last few years, its only on the water for major holidays anymore.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 4:31:35 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm glad that there are people like Gordon and Shughart in the world, willing to literally walk/jump into death itself to save others.  

Sometimes, even though they have badges, police just need to get the hell out of the way.  Now, we won't know if that diver or anyone else could have made a difference.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 4:32:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Just a reminder, the Supreme Court ruled (2005?) that law enforcement has no duty to protect individuals.
LINK
A master diver (who is also a certified rescue diver) who lives across the street from the incident was on the scene.
The officer called for other responders, but had zero interest in a rescue attempt.

Neither would I.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 4:33:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Tag for later.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 4:34:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 4:34:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

fishing?

They answered that in the article. To pull people out of the water who are on the surface

I'm voting yes on prop 87 to fund police submarines to rescue folks below the surface.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 4:35:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Warren v DC

It was from 1981.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 4:35:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 4:39:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That river was in my backyard for the first 22 years of my life.  It is just water. There are unsafe places on the river to swim for sure, same goes for ponds, oceans, rivers, and creeks everywhere, but a blanket statement like that is just wrong.

Yes, because most ponds and creeks are just like the Mississippi river. If you spent that much time near that river you know it is stupid to go in the water. To say otherwise is just stirring the pot.

OK, to be serious, Bama is right.  I cannot attest to the upper Mississippi but at times the hydraulics of that river are downright scary.  I have seen some crazy things in the 20 yrs I spent on or around that river.

Link Posted: 12/17/2012 4:40:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm glad that there are people like Gordon and Shughart in the world, willing to literally walk/jump into death itself to save others.  

Sometimes, even though they have badges, police just need to get the hell out of the way.  Now, we won't know if that diver or anyone else could have made a difference.

That's true.

Of course we also don't know, if the master diver had his diving gear. Nor do we know what the river conditions were, how fast it was moving, water temp, depth, how far the car was from shore, etc.

It could also be that although a water rescue sounds like a good solution, the conditions at the time made it unlikley/impossible with a high degree of risk.

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2012-11-27/news/35393482_1_rescue-dog-facebook-page-surges

Dog gets pulled into surf, teenager goes after dog, parents go after teenager, 3 people drown, dog gets to shore on it's own.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 4:42:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

so, why have police rescue recovery boats, then?
fishing?

Fixed ti for ya....
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 4:45:14 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

staff trolling staff

yeah!

Pit time? Battle of the Demi-gods!

Link Posted: 12/17/2012 4:45:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, because most ponds and creeks are just like the Mississippi river. If you spent that much time near that river you know it is stupid to go in the water. To say otherwise is just stirring the pot.

I'd venture to say I spent more time on and in that river than I've spent doing any singular thing outside of school during those years. Yes I'm a born and raised river rat.

FWIW, I'm not faulting the cops/rescue squad.  IMO car pilots are ultimately responsible for where they wind up, and expecting someone else to save you from ANY situation is stupid.

I'm just adressing the general comment on "the water", 90% of it is perfectly safe.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 4:47:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

fishing?

Dog and pony show for burning up their Homeland Security grants.  Lots of waste and abuse, all over the US.

Locally, we didn't raise sales tax by one penny to fund the police bureaucracy.  They sing and parrot that they can't respond to calls because of it while obviously sandbagging, and continuing to waste funds on fancy equipment. The sheep never notice the politics, only the rhetoric.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 4:48:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 4:49:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
LINK

Neither would I.

Did you and Runcible move to Boca Raton yet?

Wait until you see the canals we have down here. They're not full of water. They're full of black hole. When somebody goes in one, it may be twenty years before the water level drops enough that part of the car sticks out and they say, "That's what happened to that guy!"
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 4:49:35 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 4:50:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

fishing?

Dog and pony show for burning up their Homeland Security grants.  Lots of waste and abuse, all over the US.

Locally, we didn't raise sales tax by one penny to fund the police bureaucracy.  They sing and parrot that they can't respond to calls because of it while obviously sandbagging, and continuing to waste funds on fancy equipment. The sheep never notice the politics, only the rhetoric.

Can those grants be used to obtain vast stores of ammo?
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 4:50:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

No Homeland security funding for boat patrols here.
What "fancy equipment" are your local LEAs wasting money on in your opinion?
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 4:51:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
LINK

Neither would I.

Wait until you see the canals we have down here. They're not full of water. They're full of black hole. When somebody goes in one, it may be twenty years before the water level drops enough that part of the car sticks out and they say, "That's what happened to that guy!"

No training in any kind of water rescue stuff so there's no way I'm going in.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 4:53:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 4:56:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I swear to you I saw a Border Patrol agent on an official Border Patrol bike with the whole bike cop outfit on pedalling along the Oswego Canal this fall  

Ok, is it unusual to see BP guys in your area?
Or is it the bike patrol aspect of it?
Maybe they've found that bikes have some utility in their patrol work.

On another note, are you recovered yet?
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 4:57:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 4:58:27 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 4:59:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 4:59:48 AM EDT
[#48]
During a radio interview of the diver's wife, someone mentioned a similar situation that happened here a few years ago.

Car in the water.

Driver was rescued.

Turns out the driver had an seisure of some kind, or ministroke, I can't remember what.

Regardless, it wasn't negligence, or intentional.  And the driver was rescued and is fine.

But would have drown if not pulled from the vehicle.

There are reasons a car can go into the water that aren't evil.

Maybe the lady was drunk, stoned, suicidal, or already dead.  Who knows.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 5:01:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
LINK

Neither would I.

No training in any kind of water rescue stuff so there's no way I'm going in.

That always mystified me about NYC. The place is surrounded by water, much of which can easily drown an adult who can swim. Yet water rescue training is negligible.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 5:01:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The day after the accident, Deputy Fire Chief Ike Sederstrom was asked that question.

“It’s pretty much a self-rescue situation,” he said. “Even if the fire station is a block away, the chances of getting down there, getting to a person in the vehicle, in 40-degree water, in those conditions, is pretty slim.”

He described conditions on the river early Monday as cold, windy, choppy and dangerous.

Even the firefighters are in on it.

So it was dark and adverse weather conditions.

At least the fire fighters didnt stop a master diver from helping when they wouldnt
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top