Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2011 3:27:20 PM EDT
just saw her interview on 60 minutes.

That girl is one tough woman.

She appears to be rising above it and moving forward with her life what a compelling story.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:31:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:31:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Pretty awful story. Can't even begin to fathom how horrifying and nightmarish that was for her.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:32:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

She was reporting in Egypt and was basically sexually attacked and almost torn limb from limb by the mob.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:36:21 PM EDT
[#4]
How badly was she injured?

You gotta love mob mentality!!!
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:37:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice how they placed blame on the regime or just an unruly mob withing the crowd.  I guess the protesters were only wanting democracy after all.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:40:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Pulled, possible torn, muscles, strained, twisted joints, scalp injuries (they grabbed huge handfuls of hair and were jerking her head every whichaway), multiple penetrations both fore and aft from fingers resulting in tears, she was repeatedly beaten with poles, and of course mental trauma.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:47:33 PM EDT
[#7]
She spent 25 minutes away from her crew, drivers, security before being pushed into the lap of a muslim woman dressed head to toe in black. Other women surrounded her and pushed the mob back. A group of soldiers beat their way through the crowd with clubs and took her to safety. An adult doesn't really need the details to know it was really bad. It started with people yelling she was a jew and a spy.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:49:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

She spent 25 minutes away from her crew, drivers, security before being pushed into the lap of a muslim woman dressed head to toe in black. Other women surrounded her and pushed the mob back. A group of soldiers beat their way through the crowd with clubs and took her to safety. An adult doesn't really need the details to know it was really bad. It started with people yelling she was a jew and a spy.

She's South African and hot as hell

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:06:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

She's South African  Stupid and hot as hell

Anyone that thinks standing in a crowd of anti-government rioters is a good idea is a moron.  Mobs are unpredictable.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:22:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anyone that thinks standing in a crowd of anti-government rioters is a good idea is a moron.  Mobs are unpredictable.

She has worked in evey hotspot around the world for years. I would guess she understood the risk.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:37:10 PM EDT
[#12]
She shouldn't have ever been there.  She must have thought they would have treated her with respect and dignity.  Gotta be a liberal with that kind of thinking.  Dumb bitch.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:39:22 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

She's South African Stupid and hot as hell

Anyone that thinks standing in a crowd of anti-government rioters is a good idea is a moron. Mobs are unpredictable.

She has worked in evey hotspot around the world for years. I would guess she understood the risk.

Very few think it will actually happen to them.
Sorry, but she is at least half at fault.

Going to a place where their is little controlling authority in the immediate area, being a western, non muslim blonde woman, in the middle of a crowd of muslim 3rd world men in riot mode.

What could go wrong?

The above is miles different than being embedded with an organized .mil unit in a combat zone.  One is stupid and the other is brave.

While I feel sorry for her, I don't feel for sorry for her. If you know what I mean.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:41:15 PM EDT
[#14]
The point that I was trying to make is that she is a survivor.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:42:20 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

The point that I was trying to make is that she is a survivor.

She is.

I'm curious if she repeats the mistake in the future.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:42:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

She has worked in evey hotspot around the world for years. I would guess she thought she understood the risk.

FIFY.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:49:08 PM EDT
[#17]
That's just all kinds of fucked up.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:50:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anyone that thinks standing in a crowd of anti-government rioters is a good idea is a moron. Mobs are unpredictable.

Going to a place where their is little controlling authority in the immediate area, being a western, non muslim blonde woman, in the middle of a crowd of muslim 3rd world men in riot mode.

What could go wrong?

The above is miles different than being embedded with an organized .mil unit in a combat zone.  One is stupid and the other is brave.

While I feel sorry for her, I don't feel for sorry for her. If you know what I mean.

I agree. She is a positve role model for attractive young women. Hopefully her experience helps them weigh the risks of living on the edge.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:51:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

She has worked in evey hotspot around the world for years. I would guess she thought she understood the risk.

FIFY.

That may very well be true.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:58:02 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

FIFY.

what about every other war correspondent thats been hurt/killed?

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:00:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

FIFY.

Many of them think they're bulletproof. Some find out they're wrong.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:01:03 PM EDT
[#22]
she is very lucky she survived this attack

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:02:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What could go wrong?

I agree. She is a positve role model for attractive young women. Hopefully her experience helps them weigh the risks of living on the edge.

Perhaps I'm just biased, but it seems that women tend to be more prone to a cavalier attitude about involved risks compared to men.  At least, that's been my observation anyway.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:07:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
she is very lucky she survived this attack

She said herself she thought she was going to die. PTSD is a bitch.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:08:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:10:56 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

FIFY.

Look at my comparative example above.

Embedded with a combat unit in a war zone != putting yourself in the middle of a 3rd world revolution with a camera crew and a couple of indigenous bodyguards.

One is brave, one is stupid.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:12:27 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What could go wrong?

Perhaps I'm just biased, but it seems that women tend to be more prone to a cavalier attitude about involved risks compared to men.  At least, that's been my observation anyway.

And why is that? I have noticed that too... many WESTERN women think they are invincible or they are oblivious to their surroundings.

Added something for you... women who grow up in prosperous societies in the west have learned that most men will not lay hands on them, especially in public... chivalry and all that... while in other, less civilized parts of the world*, a woman by herself is seen as an easy target...

* to include some "disadvantaged" areas right here in the US...

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:12:48 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What could go wrong?

The above is miles different than being embedded with an organized .mil unit in a combat zone. One is stupid and the other is brave.

Perhaps I'm just biased, but it seems that women tend to be more prone to a cavalier attitude about involved risks compared to men. At least, that's been my observation anyway.

Not risks en totale.  But risks INVOLVING men.  Absolutely.

I see it quite often.  

Women, outside of the stranger in a dark alley, think men will never hurt them.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:14:07 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And why is that? I have noticed that too... many WESTERN women think they are invincible or they are oblivious to their surroundings.

Added something for you... women who grow up in prosperous societies in the west have learned that most men will not lay hands on them, especially in public... chivalry and all that... while in other, less civilized parts of the world*, a woman by herself is seen as an easy target...

* to include some "disadvantaged" areas right here in the US...

Very good point.  It is a Western cultural thing.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:16:09 PM EDT
[#30]
its one thing to be brave in A-Stan surrounded by US soldiers.

its another thing to be in egypt when not surrouned by US soldiers.

feel bad for the girl, but her crew sucked and she was stupid.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:23:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
its another thing to be in Egypt when not surrounded by US soldiers.

Yep. Should have sent Helen Thomas or Christiane Amanpour. Blond says Dummy Foreigner.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:31:39 PM EDT
[#32]
If I had been killed in Iraq as a contractor, the news would only have mentioned it if it fit some broader narrative about how badly the war was going and how we have to use contractors because the Bush administration wouldn't send enough soldiers to do the job right.

When a member of the press gets roughed up in Cairo, they hang a halo around her and try to make her a hero for doing what she's extremely well paid to do ––certainly more than most contractors. The press goes to fucked up places because businesses are willing to buy commercials or place newspapers ads when the stories are compelling.

Never let a member of the press convince you that they're not selling something.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:35:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
If I had been killed in Iraq as a contractor, the news would only have mentioned it if it fit some broader narrative about how badly the war was going and how we have to use contractors because the Bush administration wouldn't send enough soldiers to do the job right.

When a member of the press gets roughed up in Cairo, they hang a halo around her and try to make her a hero for doing what she's extremely well paid to do ––certainly more than most contractors. The press goes to fucked up places because businesses are willing to buy commercials or place newspapers ads when the stories are compelling.

Never let a member of the press convince you that they're not selling something.

That is a very good point.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:37:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Funny thing is, for $1,000 per person per day she can get guys that would have enjoyed fighting their way into that crowd with a club.

I wonder why she didn't have them.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:08:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Funny thing is, for $1,000 per person per day she can get guys that would have enjoyed fighting their way into that crowd with a club.

Fuck, I think that most of ARFcom would have done it for free.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:09:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck, I think that most of ARFcom would have done it for free.

When it comes to personal security, you get what you pay for.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top