Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2004 4:29:12 PM EDT
Oh please Laura!!!!!!!! This is taking "being gracious" too fucking far!  

www.sacbee.com/state_wire/story/10994252p-11911454c.html

Laura Bush and Teresa Heinz Kerry, new friends?

By MICHAEL R. BLOOD, Associated Press Writer
Last Updated 6:58 pm PDT Wednesday, October 6, 2004

BURBANK, Calif. (AP) - Laura Bush and Teresa Heinz Kerry have more in common than you might think.

At least according to the first lady.

The ever-poised Mrs. Bush met Heinz Kerry, the outspoken wife of Democratic candidate John Kerry, for the first time at last week's presidential debate. Their encounter might have been brief, but the first lady said she felt a campaign trail kinship with her counterpart.

"I could tell we had a lot in common. We even chose the same color suits to wear for that night," Mrs. Bush told Jay Leno on "The Tonight Show" Wednesday.

"I really do feel we are members of a club," Bush said. "We are the only ones who know right now what it's like for your husband to run for president in 2004. I'm sure we'd have a lot to talk about."

And she had a little friendly advice for her new friend, apparently intended to avoid a fashion faux pas this week.

"I just want to announce today ... I will be wearing a blue suit on Friday night," she said with a wry smile, referring to the date of the next debate.

The first lady, a former school teacher, is known for her neighbor-next-door demeanor, but Heinz Kerry doesn't play by the typical political script. She once told a reporter to "shove it" and has talked about subjects others might avoid, like her prenuptial agreement with Kerry.

Visiting "The Tonight Show" for the third time since husband George W. Bush was elected, Mrs. Bush stayed away from sticky topics like Iraq. Instead, she and Leno prattled about her two daughters, her hairstyle and pontificating pundits.

How does she deal with loudmouths on TV talk shows?

"I turn them off," she said matter-of-factly.

When it came to playful political points, Leno wasn't quite so charitable.

After the first lady said she didn't notice her husband scowling at times in the first debate, Leno jumped in, "I guess when you don't have Botox, you can actually move your face," an apparent roundabout jab at Kerry, whose wife has talked openly about using the anti-wrinkle drug.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:34:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:38:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll bet the tune would be different if JFK hadn't restrained Teresa from going over to the Bushs' as they were preparing to LEAVE the stage without so much as a handshake!
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:49:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:55:04 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'll bet the tune would be different if JFK hadn't restrained Teresa from going over to the Bushs' as they were preparing to LEAVE the stage without so much as a handshake!

Trying to make heads or tails of this... who was trying to leave without a handshake?

W had the family corralled and was starting to exit the stage, Teresa started to go after them when JFK grabbed her and pulled her back, at that point, I think Laura stopped W and made the family walk over to speak to the sKerrys!
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:25:06 PM EDT
[#5]
She rocks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top