Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2008 10:50:26 AM EDT
Is there any real disadvantage to downloading one for $15?
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 11:00:55 AM EDT
Depends on what you own and how complicated you want to get.  

I bought Quicken Willmaker and it was just fine.  Very informative and it took me step by step through the process.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 11:03:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/18/2008 11:03:56 AM EDT by BushBoar]
See a lawyer.

I'm not just saying this because I'm a lawyer.

Seriously.

I've seen so many things messed up with do it yourself kits for wills, contracts, divorces, etc.

Spend a couple hundred dollars on the peace of mind.

I will say though - some big firms around here will charge $1500 for a will and give you a 50 page, very impressive looking document...  that does exactly the same thing that a 2 page, $200 will from a small firm will do.  They do it to justify their high fees.  Don't get caught in that trap.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 11:05:48 AM EDT
Originally Posted By BushBoar:
See a lawyer.

I'm not just saying this because I'm a lawyer.

Seriously.

I've seen so many things messed up with do it yourself kits for wills, contracts, divorces, etc.

Spend a couple hundred dollars on the peace of mind.

I will say though - some big firms around here will charge $1500 for a will and give you a 50 page, very impressive looking document...  that does exactly the same thing that a 2 page, $200 will from a small firm will do.  They do it to justify their high fees.  Don't get caught in that trap.

+1

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 11:13:57 AM EDT
Unless the SW has improved greatly, see a lawyer.

There are MANY small things that very state by state.

Just as an example, at least one executor of a Virginia residents will MUST also be a Virginia resident.

You can have as many executors as you want but one must be a Va resident.

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 12:19:33 PM EDT
Hire an attorney.  Laws vary by state.

You wouldn't believe how many people have dug themselves a very big hole attempting to do legal tasks themselves.  People wind up spending much more time and money hiring an attorney after the fact to clean up than it would have cost if they hired an attorney in the first place.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 6:00:57 PM EDT
It depends on what which state you are currently living in. I am a student with a minor in Pre-Law, so I would reccommend that you hire an attorney. It will not cost a lot, but you can be certain that everything will be in order. Having a professional write the document will give convey upon you peace of mind; knowing that everything is with in the boundaries of the law, and that it is legal.

Get an attorney. If you want to do it yourself, you can download them, or go to Staples––they sell a kit for around $12.95. However, I would suggest a Lawyer.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:58:11 PM EDT
See an attorney.  My mom did the DIY Will, she passed away a few years later, and her Will didn't stand up to state laws so she died intestate.  It was a mess.  The few hundred she "saved" by not hiring an attorney cost the family thousands later.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:21:24 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Dreban:
I bought Quicken Willmaker and it was just fine.  

Actually you can't possibly ever know that.  Your will won't be tested until you die.

Just because you printed out a document doesn't mean it is a valid will that accomplishes your intended testamentary disposition.

You need a lawyer to perform that analysis.  Otherwise you are rolling the dice with the disposition of your property.
Top Top