Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2005 2:49:40 AM EDT
Why?  Why not?  Explain.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:23:13 AM EDT
[#1]
wasn't this discussed in another thread just a couple days ago? both pro & con...
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:21:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Well dayumn, since I missed the other thread...why the hell not...

Very limited uses:

a) When you don't know how to use the sights (because if you do sights are much faster).

b) When you can't use the sights (disadvantaged position, or wearing gear that prevents their use like NVGs or MOPP gear.

c) As a (questionable) force option (bad guy sees laser and wets his pants).

Your average, run of the mill gun owner might actually benefit under (a) above since he fires zero rounds per year, assuming the dust bunnies in his weapon don't cause a malfunction or he hasn't shot himself with hit yet.

Your average, run of the mill Arfcom reader probably won't benefit at all since he probably won't be shooting with NVG or MOPP gear. Of course there are a few... (not me!)

For defensive, civilian use (c) just seems like a bad idea because so few civilians train for escalation of force scenarios. E.g. how many of us ALWAYS carry OC in addition to a pistol? If you've got to draw your weapon you back is probably already up against the proverbial wall, anyway!

aa
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:25:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Limited use; I have one pistol with a laser.

Very cool though.

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:32:45 AM EDT
[#4]
They're fun on a pellet rifle.  Worthless otherwise.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:17:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Im gonna get one for my P22, but I have no intention of getting one for my carry pistol.

Limited usefulness
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:20:17 AM EDT
[#6]
My two lasers I have for my HK USP .40 and FN FiveSeven are very handy and effective. Point and shoot without thinking about it.

It also helped a couple people I taught to shoot, by showing them that they were jerking the gun (anticipating the recoil) shortly before pulling the trigger. The laser dot would go down on the target or hit the floor. When I told them to focus only on the laser and pulling the trigger consciously, they got used to not jerking the gun.

Lasers are great. So are flashlights.

- rem
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:37:11 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
wasn't this discussed in another thread just a couple days ago? both pro & con...

The Dupe is strong with this one.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:44:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I prefer to mount all my lasers on sharks.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:00:54 AM EDT
[#9]
I have retna damage in my right eye and have a very difficult time using iron sights. A laser might be the way to go. Anybody?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:02:42 AM EDT
[#10]
teh ghey
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:57:08 AM EDT
[#11]
I say limited uses. They might be good for educating shooters as remedy described. I understand they're also useful for some people with various vision problems that make it hard for them to use iron sights. Other then that, I don't really see the point.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:16:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Not very useful.

That being said, I still want an OTAL.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:20:06 AM EDT
[#13]
they are very good for seeing what you are doing wrong when shooting ....and quick target re-aquisition during rapid fire .......but no substitute for good gun control..
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:25:51 AM EDT
[#14]
The point is that when you depress he button and the laser illuminates where the bullet goes when you pull the triger(if you don't jerk)
I can imagine siuations when that might be useful.
I just ordered one for a glock and need to justify the expense.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top