Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2006 4:37:44 AM EDT
I'm having trouble finding laws(or lack thereof) regarding laser sights on pistols and rifles.  I don't think there is a law prohibiting installing a laser sight on a rifle in WV, but I'm not 100% sure.  I have an old Norinco SKS that I picked up cheap, used and I want to put a laser on it but I want to make totally sure it's legal.  If someone here knows more about this, I would greatly appreciate the info.  

Dave

EDIT: changed title
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:15:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I guess I'm bumping my own thread here... but I really thought I'd get some kind of reply.  I didn't post this in the wrong forum did I?  
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:16:47 AM EDT
[#2]
there's nothing illegal about a laser to my knowledge.  though you'd be ghetto fabulous wit da EssKay wit da beamz dawg!
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:04:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Theres probably a law against using a laser sight for hunting. I think deer get attracted to the light and stare at it, like headlights.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:07:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:22:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Exactly.  I wouldn't want to put a laser on a deer rifle, just wouldn't be practical.  Just didn't know if there was a law of any kind prohibiting the use of a laser on a rifle.  The SKS I bought (only paid $75 for it) has already been malested pretty heavily.  The bluing and mechanical parts on the rifle are in perfect order, but the original stock/forearm has been replaced with an aftermarket one (I think it's an API dragunov style stock with the adjustable cheek rest), and it's had an aftermarket receiver cover installed that has a VERY unstable scope mount built in.  Not the most accurate or quality rifle, but for $75 I couldn't let it go by.  When I get home, I'll upload the pics.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:23:55 AM EDT
[#6]
if it has an actual adjustable cheek rest it is probably the Choate, far better than the POS ATI makes.  they're great little guns, too bad ammo isnt as cheap as it used to be.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:31:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Awwwww shiiit. He's gonna have the beamz yo.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:33:02 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
A laser on a hunting style rifle seems kind silly to me. You would spend more time actually looking for the dot.
Open sights have been used for what, about 300 yrs and they still get the job done. I still use open sights on my 44 mag dear rifle.

The blind can use a laser on a hunting rifle in MI, so a sighted partner can tell them where to aim.  

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:24:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:27:50 AM EDT
[#10]
It's gone this long without somebody saying something about beamz?

Edit: Dang, I didn't see that above...
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:53:19 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
It's gone this long without somebody saying something about beamz?

No

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:56:53 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
A laser on a hunting style rifle seems kind silly to me. You would spend more time actually looking for the dot.
Open sights have been used for what, about 300 yrs and they still get the job done. I still use open sights on my 44 mag dear rifle.

The blind can use a laser on a hunting rifle in MI, so a sighted partner can tell them where to aim.  

Do they mark all the trees and bushes and animals with little braille plaques, too?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 1:31:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do they mark all the trees and bushes and animals with little braille plaques, too?

No, just the drive-up ATMs.

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 3:40:09 PM EDT
[#14]
You ain't shizzle witout da beamz yo!

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 3:42:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Blowgun w/beamz.

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 3:47:36 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Blowgun w/beamz.

www.protectiondepot.com/images/bglaser.jpg

Now dat's da shizzle right dere!

Respect.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:00:47 PM EDT
[#17]

Exactly. I wouldn't want to put a laser on a deer rifle, just wouldn't be practical. Just didn't know if there was a law of any kind prohibiting the use of a laser on a rifle. The SKS I bought (only paid $75 for it) has already been malested pretty heavily. The bluing and mechanical parts on the rifle are in perfect order, but the original stock/forearm has been replaced with an aftermarket one (I think it's an API dragunov style stock with the adjustable cheek rest), and it's had an aftermarket receiver cover installed that has a VERY unstable scope mount built in. Not the most accurate or quality rifle, but for $75 I couldn't let it go by. When I get home, I'll upload the pics.

Here is the pic of it I said I would post.  I know it's nothing compared to the ARs you guys have, but it was just $75 and I think it's worth that.

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/1559/esskay5qv.jpg
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:06:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Laser sights, IMHO, are an absolute waste of money.  Iron sights and glass optics have been doing the job for centuries and much more accurately than any laser ever could.  A light beam travels in a straight line, whereas the bullet travels in an arc.  This nullifies the concept of "pinpoint" accuracy with a laser.  However, glass on a hunting rifle will allow for things like mil-dot optics which allow for adjustments based on range and windage.  These adjustments will not be available to a laser.  The same for iron sights being adjustable.  Also, using glass or iron will allow for easier movement of sights to POI based on experience with the tiny little red dot being so hard to see at range to make it totally ineffective.

Lasers are for pimps, gang bangers and dumbasses
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:07:06 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

i45.photobucket.com/albums/f93/DragonsBloodAxe/DESEREAGLEBEAMZ.jpg

Surprised you haven't blown your bandwidth allowance yet with that pic!
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:48:26 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Laser sights, IMHO, are an absolute waste of money.  Iron sights and glass optics have been doing the job for centuries and much more accurately than any laser ever could.  A light beam travels in a straight line, whereas the bullet travels in an arc.  This nullifies the concept of "pinpoint" accuracy with a laser.  However, glass on a hunting rifle will allow for things like mil-dot optics which allow for adjustments based on range and windage.  These adjustments will not be available to a laser.  The same for iron sights being adjustable.  Also, using glass or iron will allow for easier movement of sights to POI based on experience with the tiny little red dot being so hard to see at range to make it totally ineffective.

Lasers are for pimps, gang bangers and dumbasses

We'll I'm not a pimp or a gang banger so I guess I'm a dumbass :)  But I don't feel like arguing with someone who's either a having a really bad day, or is just always on some sort of power trip that they feel like anyone who doesn't see things exactly like they do is "dumb."
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:57:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:20:43 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm not trying to defend laser sights or bash people who don't like/use them in any way.  Don't miss my point here, I just wanted to post a picture of my new range gun (really doesn't serve any other purpose, it's probably the cheapest put together of all SK's and someone put a bunch of stuff on it that just made it worse) and ask (due to my ignorance) if anyone knew about any laws against them.  I know a lot of arfcommers wouldn't put a laser sight on a spit wad shooter.  The guy I bought the gun from also had the laser, I think he used it on a paint ball gun.  Anyhow, I had never used a laser sight on anything before (still haven't fired the gun, going to the range next weekend) and I wanted to see what it was about.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:23:20 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

i45.photobucket.com/albums/f93/DragonsBloodAxe/DESEREAGLEBEAMZ.jpg

Are you keeping track of how many times that pic has been used in a related thread? I bet it has became useful many times.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:33:59 PM EDT
[#24]
I never get tired of seeing some guy at the range with his laser sights shaking all over the damn targets...no groups to speak of but more of a pattern. They will usually have some uber tactical setupbut of course they cant reliably hit the target ten times given a case of ammo and free day pass. And isnt it great that the next bench over, there is some retired old gent, thick glasses on to correct his eyesight, shooting some revolver that our grandads drooled over in a pawn shop 50 years ago.....and the guy is shooting one inch groups at will

I always thought laser sight were cool, but I never got around to owning one...I can already hit the target, so for me, its a useless gadget. Anything that doesnt improve my performance is money wasted that could have been spent on ammo or put toward another gun

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top