Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/18/2003 4:20:32 AM EDT
Anybody here have a laser boresighter??  If so what brand and model.  I am looking at getting one and wondering which ones are the best and which ones to stay away from.

I have seen 3 different types:

1.  The ones that look like a casing that you put into your chamber.  The only thing I don't like about these is you have to have a different one for each caliber.

2.  The ones that insert into the end of the barrel.

3.  The ones that you put in the chamber and are suppose to fill the whole barrel with the laser.

Anybody have any experiences or recommendations.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 4:42:40 AM EDT
[#1]
As scope sight-in is mostly a "one-time function" for hunting applications, we save our money for mags and ammo and use the "eye-ball down the bore" method.

It's cheaper.
Mike
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 4:49:54 AM EDT
[#2]
i bought the setup that walmart sells a few years ago. Don't remember the brand but it has the chamber inserts.

Works well for boltguns.

Damn near useless for semi autos.

I picked it up on a clearance sale for like 10.00 so i don't think it was a total waste. At best they will get you on paper. You will still end up zeroing with ammo.

mike
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 5:03:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 5:11:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I got the one from Cabelas that fits into the end of the barrel. It has adapters for each caliber. My laser was pretty straight but you can make it better. Chuck it up in a drill press or a lathe, aim it at a white piece of cardboard and slowly turn it. Draw a dot on the center of the circle it moves in. Adjust the little set screws to center it.  Mine was close but my dad's was a bit off.  The closer you get it, the better it will zero you in. It's good to have when you mount a new scope.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 5:54:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Eyeball down the bore at my neighbor's hubcaps seems to get the round on paper for me.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 9:09:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Just wondering how much ajustment does your average scope have at 100 yards?
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 3:22:48 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Just wondering how much ajustment does your average scope have at 100 yards?

While this is a pretty vague question, how are we to know what YOU consider "average", less'n you tell us, and it's best to KNOW which brand and model your asking or wondering about, but here's my stab.....

Cheap to Medium priced scopes = 30-40 minutes

Tactical/Precision High-End scopes = 50-65 minutes

Hope this is some help

Mike
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:26:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks wilson yeah the questions was pretty vague.

One minute at 100 yards is one inch right?
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 8:26:42 AM EDT
[#9]
1 MOA @ 100 yards = 1"
"     @ 200 yards = 2"
"     @ 300 yards = 3"
etc
etc
etc
1 MOA @ 700 yards = 7"
etc
etc
1 MOA @ 1000 yards = 10"

Actually to be technical: 1 MOA @ 100 yards = 1.073 (IIRC), but it's close enough for government work to assume 1".

Mike  
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 3:37:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top