Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2021 1:36:17 PM EDT
I was reading an article this morning about it. Does anyone have or use one? It looked interesting and has me thinking about it. Or is this one of those things I would regret getting after. Thanks
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 5:00:10 PM EDT
[#1]
What would you want to do with it?

If you buy a cheap Chinese crap unit, do you have 'mad electronics and software and fabrication skillz' so that you can upgrade it to fix the built-in flaws, or repair it when it breaks? Or else be prepared to pay a lot for a decent one.

I bought a $300-ish K40-ish cheap Chinese crap unit. I do have 'mad electronics and software and fabrication skillz'. I am planning to upgrade mine, and I am also prepared to repair it if and when something breaks.

My goal is to do "maker movement" stuff such as prototyping for some product development ideas that I am pursuing. It should do pretty much exactly what I want it to do, which is mainly marking and/or cutting of 3mm thick baltic birch plywood and various other thin materials.

If you happen to have a nearby "makerspace" community workshop, you might want to check to see if they have a laser engraver/cutter that their members can use, or whether they may teach classes, in order to help you decide whether or not it is something for you.

Link Posted: 1/9/2021 7:26:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks thats what I needed.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 10:58:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I just sold my K40 style a few weeks ago. after having a lot of fun with it the power going to the tube arced off the case and messed a ton of stuff up. i installed new controller, PW supply and a few other things. never got it to work right again.
Growing up my parents ran a small engraving company mostly engraving ID#s on small hand tools and parts for defense contractors and a couple of the major commercial airlines. They used an Epilog for laser etching and Xenetech for rotary. If i was to start tinkering again i would go rotary or if i had the funds, i would get a small fiber laser. I don't really care that much for CO2 lasers.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 2:44:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If i was to start tinkering again i would go rotary or if i had the funds, i would get a small fiber laser. I don't really care that much for CO2 lasers.
View Quote
The desktop fiber lasers are not becoming more and more affordable than they once were.  I'm tempted to get one.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:28:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:37:26 AM EDT
[#6]
I don’t have teh l33t ski11z but I have heard this one is great. Guy on local forum has 2 of them.  I have been looking into buying one for engraving since our local trophy shop is Antigun and the next closest  is 45 to 2 hours away.

https://flux3dp.com/beambox/
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:56:10 AM EDT
[#7]
I’d like to get something like this someday.  Just for cutting balsa and lite plywood - ply up to maybe 3/16”.  Any ply above that could cut with a CNC Router.
For RC stuff, planes and maybe boats mostly, maybe something like making wooden geared wall clocks, too.
I’ve been thinking it would need to be a 40W tube laser at least.   Not sure if a fiber laser would be up to that task.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:37:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top