Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/18/2004 7:57:33 PM EST
I am near the end of the hiring process to be a Police Officer for the Las Vegas Metro Police Department right now (Academy in January).I was just wondering what opinions Officers from other departments have of the LVMPD.

Semper Fi,
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:27:12 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/19/2004 12:31:01 AM EST by sherm8404]
Good luck, my friend just tanked the PFT. Said the test was outdoors, too hot and he dehydrated and couldn't do the sit ups. He's waiting for the next cycle.

He told me the LVPD people told him LVPD is considered 5th in overall excellence in the US. FWIW
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:18:06 AM EST
I was lucky.My PT was indoors back in June.LVMPD is ranked 5th in the nation in pay by
www.policpay.net.As a side note, the nearby North Las Vegas Police Department is ranked 1st in pay in the nation,but it's a much smaller department than Metro.

Semper Fi,
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:57:57 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/19/2004 4:05:41 PM EST by UrbanTactical]
Based on what I've read about LVMPD it seems simple to work there.

Ohio now is a pain in the butt to get your cert . You have to pass the state PT test just to take the written test to earn your cert. If you don't pass the PTs in 2 tries you have to redo the 6months of training. Thie is what the state wants before you can take the state written test

1.5 Mile Run- 11mins 58secs -about 8min mile full speed -60% failure rate
Pushups- 33 in 1min
Situps- 40 in 1min

If you can't make those standards, you don't take the state test.
After you pass the PT, you can take the written test for you cert.
After you pass the written test you can work for a dept.
Dept PT tests are simple compared to what the state wants.

When I tolk my test it was 98 out and the run was on a path not a track

I'm testing for the City Of Columbus, OH on Oct 12.
Their PTs is
13min ??sec 1.5mile run
23 pushups in any time
33situps in a min
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:29:33 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/21/2004 10:37:59 AM EST by sherm8404]

Originally Posted By SGT_GRUNT_USMC:
I was lucky.My PT was indoors back in June.LVMPD is ranked 5th in the nation in pay by
www.policpay.net.As a side note, the nearby North Las Vegas Police Department is ranked 1st in pay in the nation,but it's a much smaller department than Metro.

Semper Fi,

I think my department where I work as a medic has to be close to #1 or #2. Cops top out at $92,000 after 7 years. That's without shift diff and OT, hazard pay, longevity and unit allowances. The dept to the east tops at 97,000. There are sopme villagfe department where I work that top patrol officers at around $100,000. These are small village departments with a force of <20 in VERY affluent communities.

edited to add...

Just looked at the website. I love when entities tout what they believe to be true based on one group's stats. The policepaysite only rates cities, nothing else. A five year Pittsburgh cop tops at $53,000. I do a little better than that without the extras too and I'm still not at top pay.

I wish they'd pay cops what they deserve.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:47:09 AM EST
I think you'll have a blast working for LV Metro. It gets hot but you already know that. I'd take a pay cut to go work the night bike team there on The Strip.
Top Top