BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/20/2014 6:29:00 AM EDT

Any knowledge on the subject?
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:30:19 AM EDT
[#1]
My only knowledge is I wouldn't want to be downstream of "the largest dam in the world" built by China.

EDIT: That elevator/lift for passenger boats is huge!

Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:31:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Damn big dam.

Also, FPNI
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:34:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My only knowledge is I wouldn't want to be downstream of "the largest dam in the world" built by China.
View Quote

It's breaking the earth apart underneath it. If it gives, the resulting flood will be biblical.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:34:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:34:49 AM EDT
[#5]
(in my best Beavis voice)

heh heh... I'll be damed...
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:35:09 AM EDT
[#6]
3 Gorges Damn...

Biggest in the world about 1 mile wide....

Damn. Lots of Hydro power.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:36:36 AM EDT
[#7]
History or Discovery channel had a great documentary on it. A lot of historical sites were covered by the lake. Archeologists tried to save as much as possible but there wasn't time. I also believe the dam is built on or near a fault line that concerned some experts. The Chinese of course didn't care about the history lost or the fault line.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:37:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Damn engineers....
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:38:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Is this a God dam?

Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:38:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

No kidding. I'd be living upstream of that damn dam.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:38:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
History or Discovery channel had a great documentary on it. A lot of historical sites were covered by the lake. Archeologists tried to save as much as possible but there wasn't time. I also believe the dam is built on or near a fault line that concerned some experts. The Chinese of course didn't care about the history lost or the fault line.
View Quote

Can they do anything right or is their sole positive characteristic having cheap idiotic laborers willing to do anything?
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:38:56 AM EDT
[#12]
its not curved so it is just a matter of time before is shears away and "floods" CA
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:39:24 AM EDT
[#13]
That thing WILL break at some point.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:39:55 AM EDT
[#14]
What did the fish say when it hit a wall?

Dam.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:40:12 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote
I had read the very same thing. Apparently there were a lot of very old towns that were destroyed and China just told the residents, "too bad, get out or we will remove you." Kind of reminds me of some things that have started happening is this country more recently.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:40:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Upstream, also has some problems.  

Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:41:01 AM EDT
[#17]
That's where all the concrete is going!
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:41:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

China's Mega Dam   2006 Discovery Channel Documentary
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:43:46 AM EDT
[#19]
TAG for l8ter
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:43:51 AM EDT
[#20]

Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:44:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Can they do anything right or is their sole positive characteristic having cheap idiotic laborers willing forced to do anything?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can they do anything right or is their sole positive characteristic having cheap idiotic laborers willing forced to do anything?

FIFY
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:45:24 AM EDT
[#22]
that'll be a great target for a handful of JDAMs if we ever have to fight them.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:46:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

It was just on yesterday. I've seen it before, but I watched it again. Amazing what humans can do if they put their mind to something. Not sure on structural issues, but I wouldn't want to live down stream from the thing.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:47:04 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
FIFY
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

FIFY

If I recall correctly the project was a lot like our Hoover damn project. People willingly flocked to the sight because they could get good paying jobs and new housing in a town being built by the dam.

Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:47:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

I can laugh at that!
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:47:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

My first thought, even if it was designed by foreign agencies, built by foreign agencies, or supervised by foreign agencies it will be maintained by the Chinese. I can not imagine that will be good.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:48:48 AM EDT
[#27]
That's one damn tour I would never take!
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:49:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

If I recall correctly the project was a lot like our Hoover damn project. People willingly flocked to the sight because they could get good paying jobs and new housing in a town being built by the dam.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FIFY

That was the story, anyway. I don't believe anything coming out of a communist country.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:51:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
That's where all the concrete is going!
View Quote

It already fent.  The damn has been operating for a few years now.

The sediment loading in the reservoir must be tremendous.

Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:51:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Sits on two major fault lines.

What could possibly go wrong?  

Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:52:26 AM EDT
[#31]
it is just holds back one big ass cesspool of garbage and hazardous waste.........that is until it breaks at which time untold millions of Chinese will drown.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:55:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It was just on yesterday. I've seen it before, but I watched it again. Amazing what humans can do if they put their mind to something. Not sure on structural issues, but I wouldn't want to live down stream from the thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the upstream video is even more fascinating.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:58:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:59:13 AM EDT
[#34]
It's pretty impressive up close, but I only saw it from the ground.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:59:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Is this a God dam?

Stupid humor usually isn't my thing, but that movie is awesome
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 7:02:48 AM EDT
[#36]

Link Posted: 6/20/2014 7:09:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Can they do anything right or is their sole positive characteristic having cheap idiotic laborers willing to do anything?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is fairly accurate .  It's better to not have too many idle hands and minds - that tends to lead to people getting ideas that lead to making trouble.  Keep them busy and when work needs to be done, don't give them any more heavy equipment than needed.  That is why you see little construction equipment on job sites in china and lots of people with shovels and wheelbarrows.  It's not the first time in history this has been used to keep any possible political opposition at bay.

As soon and the marxists here no longer need votes to stay in power, the parasites here will be in for a shock when they are forced to report to labor camps.  For now the unemployable are of use to them in that they are targeting or making life difficult for the lefts political enemies.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 7:10:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Is this a God dam?

View Quote

There is no God in China...
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 7:17:29 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Some estimates place the loss of life at 100 million if that puppy pops.

That's not something a president would order casually.

China has also made it clear that any attack on the damn will warrant a nuclear response.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 7:23:04 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I would go fishing there at least once. Where do you get some dam bait?
View Quote
You wanna catch the goonch?

Link Posted: 6/20/2014 7:24:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

China has also made it clear that any attack on the damn will warrant a nuclear response.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If we ever hit that dam, we'd be all in anyways.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 7:27:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Where can I get some dam bait?
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 7:29:31 AM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

LOL

I came here to post this.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 7:32:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, who are they going to nuke when the fault line its build on starts to roll and it fails? Themselves?
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 7:36:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, that's wonderful!

So when the fucking thing fails ... they push the button?
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 7:36:42 AM EDT
[#46]
Wow, they said in the video the mass of the water behind the dam actually slowed down the earth's rotation by a fraction of a second.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 7:47:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Wow, they said in the video the mass of the water behind the dam actually slowed down the earth's rotation by a fraction of a second.
View Quote

Well that's the cause of this fucked up weather in the US, the butterfly affect is real, China builds a dam america gets hit by killer weather.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 7:53:38 AM EDT
[#48]
I don't think any engineer could say when it will fail.  But I think nearly every engineer agrees- given our observations of design choices, construction choices, construction quality, etc- that it will certainly fail. And THAT is going to be one major disaster for China.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 7:54:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I don't think any engineer could say when it will fail.  But I think nearly every engineer agrees- given our observations of design choices, construction choices, construction quality, etc- that it will certainly fail. And THAT is going to be one major disaster for China.
View Quote

Their government would probably welcome it. 100 million less mouths to feed.

ETA Not the failure of the dam, but the human loss of life.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 7:55:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My driver in China says, "Life is cheap in China"
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top