Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/19/2016 3:29:49 PM EDT
I work in the IT department at a home healthcare company.  We just had two, count em' TWO, nurses who had to bring their company laptops back to us because they visited a patient with a hard core infestation of bedbugs.  They gave their laptops to the patient to collect a signature and that's when they noticed the patient had bugs crawling all over her like it was a freaking every day occurrence to her..  In such cases we can't risk nurses bringing their laptops to other patients and spreading bedbug infestations so we had to issue them replacements.

In the meantime, right now the two contaminated laptops are inside a garbage bag, which is inside another garbage bag, which is inside a box, which is on the floor in the corner.  There goes close to $3000 worth of top of the line computer equipment that might as well be a dead raccoon picked up off the road..

Anyone have a sure fire recipe for killing bedbugs that won't destroy electronic equipment?  How long do those damned things live, anyway?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:31:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd put one of these in the sealed garbage bag with them, for a few days.

No-Pest Strips
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:33:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Heat them up to 120 degrees for a few hours.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:33:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Homes are treated with heat. 160 degrees iirc. Idk if thatll fuckup the machines or not
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:34:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Anyone have a sure fire recipe for killing bedbugs that won't destroy electronic equipment?  How long do those damned things live, anyway?
View Quote

First couple of Google hits...

http://www.wired.com/2014/06/what-do-you-do-about-bed-bugs-in-your-laptop/
http://www.bedbugsupply.com/blog/treatments/treat-bed-bugs-electronics/
http://bell-environmental.com/help-my-laptop-has-bed-bugs/
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:34:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Heat up the trashbag.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:35:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow, this is an unlikely but strong case for a fully ruggedized Toughbook or similar that could be submerged in some kind of solution.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:35:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I work in the IT department at a home healthcare company.  We just had two, count em' TWO, nurses who had to bring their company laptops back to us because they visited a patient with a hard core infestation of bedbugs.  They gave their laptops to the patient to collect a signature and that's when they noticed the patient had bugs crawling all over her like it was a freaking every day occurrence to her..  In such cases we can't risk nurses bringing their laptops to other patients and spreading bedbug infestations so we had to issue them replacements.

In the meantime, right now the two contaminated laptops are inside a garbage bag, which is inside another garbage bag, which is inside a box, which is on the floor in the corner.  There goes close to $3000 worth of top of the line computer equipment that might as well be a dead raccoon picked up off the road..

View Quote

Either:

a) Freezer.

or

b) Sealed in an airtight bag for 2 weeks.

Freezer kills them dead. Airtight bag will kill them through starvation. Bedbugs require a host to live.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:36:46 PM EDT
[#8]
We had one come into the corporate IT office infested.  the team lead freaked, had multiple traps put out for them but i don't think we ever saw more than a couple.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:37:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Put them in the freezer.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:37:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Either:

a) Freezer.

or

Freezer kills them dead. Airtight bag will kill them through starvation. Bedbugs require a host to live.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Either:

a) Freezer.

or

Bedbugs can live for months without a host.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:39:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Vote for Freezer, or, if you have a Co2 extinguisher handy, snow the fuck out of them...
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:39:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Freezer seems to be the best option.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:40:06 PM EDT
[#13]
In black trash bag seal in a hot car for a day, freeze it in a sealed bag, or disassemble outside with canned air.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:42:03 PM EDT
[#14]
This thread made my skin itch.

ETA: I always heard heat was the go-to for these infestations. Even tenting and heating whole apartment buildings.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:44:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Fill the bags with carbon monoxide?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:45:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Oven or freezer, your pick.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:46:46 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote
Here is your answer.  I would go several hours.  But this will do it.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:49:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Subject the infested laptops to a loop of Hilliary speeches. That cackling should do the trick.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:50:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, standard treatment for bedbugs is to heat their environment to high temps for a short time.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:51:02 PM EDT
[#20]
heat, 120+F for an extended time
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:53:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:06:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Chlorine dioxide.

No residuals.  Kills everything.

Make a disinfecting box and either make your own (it's easy) or buy it (have no idea where).
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:10:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Just throw the damned things away. Save yourself the time and grief.

No one is going to want to use them, people will find out their issued laptop was one of the bedbug laptops, bitch out the boss/HR, you end up shelving the thing for the next five years, and end up tossing it anyway when it's out-of-date.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:16:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Chlorine dioxide.

No residuals.  Kills everything.

Make a disinfecting box and either make your own (it's easy) or buy it (have no idea where).
View Quote

You have a point. Quit thinking friendly pesticides, start thinking straight up poisonous shit. Keep that shit in a garbage bag, take out the battery and squirt a little carb cleaner on a cotton rag and throw it in there for a few weeks. Hook it to the exhaust pipe of you car, etc. etc., whatever. Just don't kill yourself or the laptop in the process. Have any argon gas from a tig welding setup? Displace all the air.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:21:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Either:

a) Freezer.

or

18 months.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:24:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Wait, the first nurse that saw the bugs didn't actually call someone, or do something to help the patient?  Nor did she... I dunno... maybe alert the rest of the staff about what a nasty piece of work that particular patient was?  Or were there two separate patients?  In either case, nope.  This is why I'm not in a trade where I visit other people's homes.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:25:45 PM EDT
[#27]
How do you think the hospital gets them? Sharing is not caring
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:26:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Throw a Raid gas bomb into the bag

Edit

they are now immune to the ingredient.  You'll need DDT

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:27:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Ive had exterminators come out to treat laptops several times.
just pull the things apart and they'll treat it with a glue gun type applicator.
Seemed to work.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:34:04 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Either:

a) Freezer.

or

Up to 1 year

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:34:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Take out if bag, put in tuff box, put in 4 lbs of dry ice overnight.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:37:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Stick it in a vacuum bag and pull a vacuum on it for about a week, then put it in the oven and heat to 150 for a couple hours.might want to use a temp gauge to keep it near there, my guess is the keyboards and some fragile plastics might be damaged any higher than that.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:38:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Easy just put them in your car on a hot day

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:41:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Tech here, I like the 140' idea better
Laptops get 140 easily running
Freezing might break the LCD.
a metal trash can with incandescent bulb will give you a cheap oven to roast the critters in.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:41:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:43:28 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm just so pleased that we are getting all these bugs and diseases back. Perhaps it will toughen up the youth when they get polio from an illegal alien and bedbugs due to liberal environmental bullshit.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:43:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Recommend Co2, doesn't harm electronics and is the preferred extinguishant for Class C fires being electrical.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:44:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Easy just put them in your somebody else's car on a hot day

View Quote
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:46:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Fire
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:52:13 PM EDT
[#40]
This would be a good place to use a banned insecticide:  DDT.  Unlike the oil based chemicals, and other fumigants it shouldn't cause corrosion of the solder contacts or other parts of the electronics.  

The other sure fire way that will not affect the electronics, is to subject the laptop to a high vacuum.  Something on the order of three milli-torr would be adequate.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:53:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Recommend Co2, doesn't harm electronics and is the preferred extinguishant for Class C fires being electrical.
View Quote

This was my thought. Eliminate the O2 from the bag and let sit.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:53:22 PM EDT
[#42]
1) Leave the laptop sitting out in the open....

2) Someone will kindly come along and take the problem from you..

3) laugh to self because now it is some stealing POS's problem..

4) profit
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:55:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Get a couple of canisters of CB80, roll them in there and nerve gas the whole fucking nest.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:58:39 PM EDT
[#44]
This is now a "Bring back DDT" thread!
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:58:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If bedbugs are present they will run for the inside of the computer where the heat hasn't penetrated yet. So a few hours would probably be a good idea to let the heat soak all the way into the interior parts.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:02:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'm just so pleased that we are getting all these bugs and diseases back. Perhaps it will toughen up the youth when they get polio from an illegal alien and bedbugs due to liberal environmental bullshit.
View Quote

You forgot Zika.

WTF kind of person has bedbugs?  
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:03:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
1) Leave the laptop sitting out in the open....

2) Someone will kindly come along and take the problem from you..

3) laugh to self because now it is some stealing POS's problem..

4) profit
View Quote

a trip to a walmart parking lot is needed...
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:09:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Wait, the first nurse that saw the bugs didn't actually call someone, or do something to help the patient?  Nor did she... I dunno... maybe alert the rest of the staff about what a nasty piece of work that particular patient was?  Or were there two separate patients?  In either case, nope.  This is why I'm not in a trade where I visit other people's homes.
View Quote

The first thing the nurse did was to call us because (THANKFULLY) she wasn't an idiot and she realized she might contaminate her other patients.  We did our job in getting her back on the road.  Now it's our problem to figure out what the heck to do with it.

Affirmative on the visiting people's homes.   We sometimes leave safes at patients' houses to store the medication so the nurses won't be a travelling pharmacy. I am the token male in a company of females and as I'm the only one with any upper body strength I sometimes had to bring the safes to patients' houses.  They stopped that after one psych patient who had fears of men ran and hid in the next room screaming when I showed up.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:13:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Bedbugs, the larva,and eggs all die at 140F so i would get them into somewhere that can maintain that temp for 6-8hrs.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:14:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

100% nitrogen.

I presume bedbugs breath.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top