Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2005 4:51:44 PM EDT
I'm shopping laptops for a class I am goint to be teaching. A lot of them come loaded with Windows XP Media Edition. Is there any reason I would want this ofer XP Professional? I will be running Powerpoint slide shows, but have no problem with that here at home on my XP Pro machine.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:00:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:00:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I prefer XP Pro purely for security.

Media would be good for movie editing and sounds.  PP slides?  No need.

This isn;t a laptop question BTW. Its an OS question.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:05:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Good point on the OS thing. Just have this laptop thing on my mind, so that's what came out. Probably should have titled it "Which version of Windoze"
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:12:15 PM EDT
[#4]
i would get someting with xp pro. i would get something i could watch movies (DVDs) on (highly recommended).

i tend to go for thicker as opposed to thiner (i mean ultra thin) laptops. i also am kinda turned off by the ultra wides. 15+inch width is enough.

i currently have 3. all dell inspirons of various ages. although i don't care much for dell in general, i recommend their laptops.

i build all my own desktops and would build my own laptops if i could get the innerds and cases that i want.

for something a little different and ultra tough.. you might look at itronix gobooks. expensive but milspec, tough and have some interesting features.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:29:03 PM EDT
[#5]
if its mainly used for ppt  presentations xp home will be fine.  no need to spend the extra $$ unless you have it to spend
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top