Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/13/2006 5:55:34 PM EDT
Hey guys I need some help (very little computer knowledge) with getting internet access in my bedroom. I have a cable modem downstairs (center of home) on the only computer in the home at this time. My question is, to start using my laptop up stairs on the same cable line can I just go out and buy a new modem and Ethernet card for the laptop, load my internet provider info., just as I did on the downstairs computer, and start surfing the web? This sounds way too easy!

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks
Iso
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:57:11 PM EDT
get a wireless router and a pcmcia(pmcia, whatever the hell that little slot on the side is called!) wireless card for the laptop, should be pretty much plug and play with windows.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:57:12 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:58:15 PM EDT
no.

You need a router.

And does your laptop have wireless? or a lan cable input?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:05:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/13/2006 6:06:02 PM EDT by Isomerase]
No wireless on the laptop. would the router work through the flooring (downstairs to upstairs) or would I have to run cable?

thanks
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:08:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Isomerase:
No wireless on the laptop. would the router work through the flooring (downstairs to upstairs) or would I have to run cable?

thanks

wireless 802.11g will work though your walls....and your neighbors walls too. Dont forget to secure your wlan once you get it up
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:14:23 PM EDT
Nearest neighbor is more than 100 yards away, but I would still need a good firewall and security, correct?

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:27:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By gaspain:

Originally Posted By Isomerase:

thanks

wireless 802.11g will work though your walls....and your neighbors walls too. Dont forget to secure your wlan once you get it up

good post

i use linksys WRT54G wireless routes. and as posted above you will need a pcmcia(credit card) wireless network card for the laptop. after you get that i would suggest calling someone to have it setup for you. unsecure wireless network is not recomended
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:39:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/13/2006 7:43:16 PM EDT by twr6444]
get this www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail~dpno~473201.asp

\or something similar
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:52:18 PM EDT
Run an ethernet cable from the output of your modem downstairs into the wireless router. And and plug your downstairs computer into the wireless router.

You can often get a good deal on "starter sets", which have the router AND wireless card for nearly the same price as the card alone.

Here's a nice deal:

www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1022156&Sku=D700-5152

Yes, get a friend who knows how to configure all of this to come over and do it for you.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:56:16 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:11:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/13/2006 9:15:23 PM EDT by PaDanby]
Although Wireless is almost up to speed, there are security issues. Adding a router between your computer and the cable modem adds a significant firewall capability. Then just a cat5 or 6 cable from the router to a network port on the laptop, or wireless router and wireless network cards to both. If you can run the cable it is significantly cheaper and much more secure.

All you need is to load the networking s/w, provider information (mail server , newsgroup server addresses, etc) and browsers on both of the computers and not use the the computer to modem software once you have the router (wired or wireless) between the computer and the modem.

Read through the instructions through a few times, before getting started, most are designed for the home newbie.

I just added a new computer to our home network, it had an internal network card and all I had to do was use Internet explorer long enough to down load firefow to it and then add the mail and newsgroup server addresses. Took about 10 minutes.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:07:30 AM EDT
thanks for the help guys will let you know.

Iso
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:17:05 AM EDT
Get wireless. It is cheap and reliable.

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:32:48 AM EDT
I had to disable the firewall in my DSL modem so it wouldn't fight with the firewall in my WRT54G router.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:30:28 AM EDT
Got it going as I type now. went with wireless as suggested. Got the 35% booster version. Had to re-firewall and security is up althought I live in a very rural area. Right at $110 for all but well worth the freedom and security. My wife even said that it was well worth the $$$. Now how do I get her to say that about a new gun/month??? Thanks again to all for the help and direction. Also, installation was right a 1.5 hours and that was 50% my fault.

Iso
Top Top