Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2005 11:02:28 AM EDT
Hey guys ... I am a policeman and a sniper ... not a computer guru.

However, I do give presentations from time to time and am on the go a lot.

Need a laptop that will do Powerpoint, Excel spreadsheets, word processing and internet.

Need lots of space I guess for pics and such but am not into video games. No time.

May want to play a DVD on a plane though.

Which laptop ?

BK
AmericanSnipers.org

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:07:14 AM EDT
[#1]
This one is easy: Buy something of recent manufacture, and don't spend to much. Seriously. Brand "A" vs "B" discussions are full of shit. Take it from an I.T. guy!

DO NOT over analyze this purchase. Get something with a big hard drive, and a DVD drive. Buy a nice cheap one. Don't over think this. You're requirements are about as minimal as they come, and reliability arguments heard here are purely subjective and anectodal.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:09:48 AM EDT
[#2]
what kind of conditions is it gonna see if you have any potential for any kind of abuse oin it i recommend panasonic toughbooks they really can take some abuse.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:19:43 AM EDT
[#3]
IBM (period)
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:20:32 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
This one is easy: Buy something of recent manufacture, and don't spend to much. Seriously. Brand "A" vs "B" discussions are full of shit. Take it from an I.T. guy!

DO NOT over analyze this purchase. Get something with a big hard drive, and a DVD drive. Buy a nice cheap one. Don't over think this. You're requirements are about as minimal as they come, and reliability arguments heard here are purely subjective and anectodal.

Agreed.

However, I would stick with a name you recognize (ie: Dell, HP, Sony) and not just some locally cobbled together box.  Anybody can put together a PC, not everybody can make a laptop you'll be happy with.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:21:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks fellas.

BK
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:21:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Step mom just got a Compaq for about $650 (+ tax) at Fry's.

It's a decent machine.  Does all she wants (basically what you're looking for) and has a nice monitor.

I don't care for Toshiba (got burned by their bad HDDs and then missed out on the settlement )

Dells are nice, Panasonic, yadda yadda.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:23:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Give me a price range so I can look one up.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:31:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Another +1 for IBM.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:42:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Depends on what else you may want to do with it.  For general purpose, I'd say a Dell with all the memory & hard drive you care to spend $$$ for.  They've got good service and support.  If you want to run games on it also, Widow PC.  If you get something besides Dell, DON'T get one with the pencil eraser mouse (if anyone still makes this).  It'll drive you nuts.  I'd also recommend a Pelican hard case to carry it in.  They make ones just for computers.  I would definately NOT recommend either HP or Toshiba.  Compaq ain't bad even though HP bought them a while back.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:49:48 AM EDT
[#10]
I picked up a Toshiba Satellite M35X-S111 Notebook  from Best Buy a while back.  It was going for $500 after all the rebates.   I've had it for almost a year and it's working out great for me.  I just needed something basic because I travel from time to time. I bought a wireless card for hooking up to the net in hotels.  It runs even better after I finally got around to ordering 1 gig of ram from New Egg a few weeks ago.  

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:56:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Check out TIGERDIRECT.Com for refurbished laptops.  They buy a lot of off-lease laptops and sell them at a pretty good price.  Lots to choose from.  My wife deals a lot with computers and she has had the best luck with IBM's.

If you get one IM me and let me know what it is.  I have some extra laptop memory hanging around I can give you.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:59:26 AM EDT
[#12]
1600 ish
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:00:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
1600 ish

You can buy alot of laptop for that.  If you just want one to do what you origionally said you should be able to walk away paying less than four figures.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:02:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I just purchased a new gateway and it is quite a machine....

This is what I bought:

www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7262516&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat39100050016&id=1118839115082

I upped my memory from the standard 512 to 1GB but this is a fast machine and the monitor is great...  I looked at the Dell 6000 Inspiron but the gateway seemed to have a better monitor and was faster then the dell... and the gateway was less money.

The only downside with the gateway from the reviews I had read is that the battery life sucks...  that is fine for me as I use my laptop more as a portable computer and keep it plugged in most of the time.

This model is available at lots of stores...  and t's just one of many but it had good power and features for what i felt was a good price...  and I love the computer after having i for a few weeks now!
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:04:05 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
1600 ish

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834146088

$1250

This will run everything you want to nice a snappy.

Its IBM Thinkpad R52.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:06:10 PM EDT
[#16]
any computer over $600 will do ya.

The only thing to worry about after that is the weight.

If you are gonna be carrying it alot, lighter is better.  IF you are not gonna carry it alot, then the dell, hp, compaq cheapo will do you just fine.

There is a great site you should visit.

www.techbargains.com

Best prices are found there.

It will show you the best laptop deals, and give you coupon codes on how to get them at discounts.

Good luck
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:07:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:25:16 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
1600 ish

from what you describe needing it to do don't spend more than $1000
can probably get away with spending $800 or so
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:27:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks man.

BK
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:34:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Forget IBM.

The IBM of yesterday was an IBM, and they were the best.

The IBM of today is, er, not an IBM as you know it.  (Third party)

I agree that brand loyalty in laptops is foolish, as they all use more or less the same stuff.

However, I always buy Dell Inspiron notebooks with the two or three year Next Business Day on Site Warranty.

Those particlular warranties ROCK.  They come to YOU, next day, and fix it, PERIOD!

I am not loyal to Dell computers so much as I am loyal to their customer service.

Be advised:  Their low priced, Return to Depot warranties are run of the mill, and you might as well get a generic.

My recs:  Get a Pentium M chip, end of story.  Pay for a larger hard drive, but do not pay for extra memory.  256mb is fine for most, and an extra 256 is cheap and easy to install yourself.

Get at least a DVD/CDRW combo drive (pretty standard these days).

Without either of those features, you'll be lost.

Just my .02
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:38:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Brian, I'd look at Dell computers.  Used to be a fan of IBM, but not since they sold out to the Chinese.  Whatever you get, make sure it comes with a wireless card.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top