Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/8/2011 5:07:46 PM EDT
I was reading another thread and became curious. So, how did you deal with them?
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 5:09:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I heard you just give 24 hour notice of construction every day and go inside and start pulling walls.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 5:13:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Haven't had to deal with them yet, but what thread brought them up?

Kharn

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 5:19:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Haven't had to deal with them yet, but what thread brought them up?

Kharn

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

This thread in team
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 5:30:15 PM EDT
[#4]
eviction process
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 6:44:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Can't you have the Sheriff drag them out and throw all their shit out in the road?
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 6:47:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been a landlord for a bit over a decade and never had to deal with anything near that. If I had to I would just go to court and evict them.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 6:49:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I heard you just give 24 hour notice of construction every day and go inside and start pulling walls.

It sucks to be a landlord in Ohio.  3 day notice, 30 evictions plus court costs.  They are trashing the place while you are going through the channels.  I sold my last rental about 10 years ago and I am glad.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 6:51:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Bed bug infestation, need to shut down the house for a week to get it cleaned out with toxic chemicals.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 6:52:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It sucks to be a landlord in Ohio.  3 day notice, 30 evictions plus court costs.  They are trashing the place while you are going through the channels.  I sold my last rental about 10 years ago and I am glad.

Buddy of mine buys near military bases.

He always gets his rent and always gets his place returned in good condition.

If he doesn't, it is a quick few phone calls to get the wage garnishment process going.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 6:53:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Go through the process and get them evicted.  Then, sue them.  When you do your initial credit/background check you would ideally want to find someone that actually has something to lose if they fuck you over.  Another hedge, if you can swing it,  is first months plus last months rent + security deposit.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 7:04:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Save yurself the time,money and trouble. Take $500 in cash and tell them they can have it if they are out in 36 hours and the house is left intact. It works every time
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 7:12:24 PM EDT
[#12]
They are trespassers. If they're using any of your moveable property, they're burglars. Use the appropriate degree of force and put them  out, on foot or feet first.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 7:17:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Never had a squatter...not even sure what you mean by that.

Link Posted: 8/8/2011 7:24:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Bucket of rattlesnakes let loose in the crawl space....
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 7:31:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Save yurself the time,money and trouble. Take $500 in cash and tell them they can have it if they are out in 36 hours and the house is left intact. It works every time

This sounds like the best idea i have heard in this thread so far.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 7:31:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Look up the Bandidos and see if they're interested in buying the property for a clubhouse.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 7:36:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This.

A friend of mine rented a house trailer to a couple and they let another couple move in with them. The second couple had fires at two of three previous rentals, the original renters moved out and the second couple become squatters.
The cops and court were no help at all so after about 2 1/2 months of no help from the system and no rent payments, my friend took action. One day when the couple left the house my friend went over and removed about one fourth of the exterior walls with a chain saw. the squatters called the cops on him and when they asked him what he thought he was doing he flat out told them remodeling. The cops told the squatters that it was his house and he could remodel it if he wanted so they moved out that day.
Within two weeks the trailer was gone completely and he said he would never rent anything out again.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 7:37:03 PM EDT
[#18]
In my younger days, I thought I had a squatter (I suspected that a homeless person had moved into a shed behind a vacant rental house).  In a nutshell, someone kept tearing down my "For Rent" sign.  Finally, I pulled up to the house and took one of these out of the trunk:

I checked out the shed, did a quick walkthrough of the house, then did a lap around the yard.  Never found out exactly what was going on, but the vandalism stopped.  I like to think that the vandal saw that I was serious and thought better about hanging around in my yard after that.  

Link Posted: 8/8/2011 7:41:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
In my younger days, I thought I had a squatter (I suspected that a homeless person had moved into a shed behind a vacant rental house).  In a nutshell, someone kept tearing down my "For Rent" sign.  Finally, I pulled up to the house and took one of these out of the trunk:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/dc/Shotgun_Mossberg_590.jpg

I checked out the shed, did a quick walkthrough of the house, then did a lap around the yard.  Never found out exactly what was going on, but the vandalism stopped.  I like to think that the vandal saw that I was serious and thought better about hanging around in my yard after that.  

This^

I thought it would involve the 3 S's.

Trespassers will be shot, survivors will be...well there are no survivors.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 7:44:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Bug bombs are the poor mans CS grenade, just lob a handful in and watch the bugs run out...
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 7:45:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 7:49:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a condo I rent, but I only advertise it to med students.  They seem to be a little better market than the average citizen.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 7:53:14 PM EDT
[#23]

Interesting.  How does it relate to the issue at hand?  I think it's worth a discussion all its own, but don't see how it relates to the topic on hand except in a very general sense.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 8:48:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a condo I rent, but I only advertise it to med students.  They seem to be a little better market than the average citizen.

Can you completely screw defaulters/vandals with the medical board like you could law students with the Florida Bar?
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 8:53:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Go take the front door off the house.

It is not legal, but it is effective......
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 8:55:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Interesting.  How does it relate to the issue at hand?  I think it's worth a discussion all its own, but don't see how it relates to the topic on hand except in a very general sense.

Well you can have them served by teh Sheriff and evict them or you can go in with your security squad and burn their hooverville down.  Up to you ...
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 11:16:09 PM EDT
[#27]
I moved out.  As far as I know the squatter still lives in my FL house, and rents out rooms.  Bank doesn't care, though the house is foreclosed; sheriff doesn't care because I'm not paying money to get squatters out of my/the bank's property.

Protip:  If you rent, tell your renter to get a PO box.  Don't allow them to get mail delivered to the house they're renting; that means they live there and you need to jump through hoops to get them evicted (at least in FL).
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 11:38:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you completely screw defaulters/vandals with the medical board like you could law students with the Florida Bar?

I have no idea.  But you just gave me an idea to go research.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 1:35:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Considering a recent squatter just cost me $2500 dollars in lost rent, legal action, and repairs, this would have been a much better option.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 2:01:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I've done this before.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 2:37:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Considering a recent squatter just cost me $2500 dollars in lost rent, legal action, and repairs, this would have been a much better option.

I understand why this tactic makes financial sense for the immediate situation, but aren't you rewarding the squatter for breaking the law and stealing (at least in the sense of time) your property?  Someone who succeeds at extortion is likely to do it again and again.  From a longer term perspective, it may be more expensive.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 3:35:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Back when I rented my old home out there was a "service" landlords could avail themselves of where basically a crew of hired hands would go in and take their shit to the curb. No court, no drama. I never had to use it but many of my peers did. I'd rather my $$$$ be spent making a point than paying a squatter $500.00 for fucking me out of rent.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 4:12:19 AM EDT
[#33]
A guy I know sold his land with an old house on it to an industrial park. He had renters. He gave them 60 days to get out.

On day 61 he unloaded a track-hoe and began by knocking off the front porch.

Tenants began scurrying about like rats. They got the message and left.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 4:25:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have no idea.  But you just gave me an idea to go research.  

The answer would be yes, especially if you have taken legal action.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 4:33:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Took me 9 months to get some non paying pieces of shit out. Then my lawyer got a judge to garnished their wages to get the money out of them. The pieces of shit knew they were getting kicked out and waiting untill the DAY BEFORE the sheriff was comming to start moving out.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 4:40:24 AM EDT
[#36]
I had a good friend who would always pull this out of the socket...

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 4:41:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Be firm on your timelines, always stick to the rules, and do a good job picking your tenants.

Another thing that has saved our asses is whenever you have any contact with the person (Receiving a check, a phone call, maintenance, etc..), jot it down in a little notebook stating the date/time and what was discussed. When it comes to "he said, She said".. if you took records down your cause will be greatly helped.

If you budge, they'll fuck you. So don't budge, ever. Know the laws or pay someone that does.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 4:45:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand why this tactic makes financial sense for the immediate situation, but aren't you rewarding the squatter for breaking the law and stealing (at least in the sense of time) your property?  Someone who succeeds at extortion is likely to do it again and again.  From a longer term perspective, it may be more expensive.

Our society wants people to be able to hold landlords hostage.  There is no way for you to fight society in that position.  All you can do is get on with your life as cheaply and as quickly as possible.

I would far rather do something else... let Rottweilers loose in the house, toss in bug bombs, drag all of their crap out to the curb and change the locks, etc.  But society would want to lock me up and take my money for doing that.  So, I can't feel too bad about sending a grifter down the road rather than go to jail.

Sorry.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 4:58:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Buddy had a squatter many years ago. Dude moved his family in and just quit paying rent. The courts were useless (as has been mentioned about Ohio) and wouldn't even schedule a hearing for three months (they claimed they were busy). After that hearing another hearing was scheduled two months out. The whole time my buddy is losing rent and the house of being destroyed. My buddy's lawyer even said this was how it worked and don't expect them out anytime before 8 months.

So one evening, my buddy asked several of us to help him do a "safety" inspection of the house to make sure the happy little squaters were still safe. Inspection was to be done around 10 PM. Buddy did the paper work and proper notifications as required by law prior to us showing up. Long story short: Buddy, Buddy's brother, and Buddy's Dad beat on the front door until the squatter's wife answered, she refused to open it so they kicked it in (locks had been changed in violation of the lease agreement). The three of them went in while the rest of us stood outside around the property. They had a "come to Jesus" talk that I wasn't privy to.

Squatters moved out the next day.

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 5:00:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I would far rather do something else... let Rottweilers loose in the house, toss in bug bombs, drag all of their crap out to the curb and change the locks, etc.  But society would want to lock me up and take my money for doing that.  So, I can't feel too bad about sending a grifter down the road rather than go to jail.

Sorry.

Society has changed too, it didn't use to be like this. Hell, even 20 years ago I remember how big of a deal it was to be evicted. It was shameful, not something you wanted your kids to go through. Now the squatters think it is a game and tempt the landlord to make one mistake, knowing that they can sue the guy with the money and win.

Times are different, and not for the better.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 5:06:25 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
They are trespassers. If they're using any of your moveable property, they're burglars. Use the appropriate degree of force and put them out, on foot or feet first.

Do that here and you're getting arrested for Illegal Eviction. I feel so sorry for landlords sometimes when I'm at work. The deck is so stacked against them it's sad. Knew a landlord on Long Island who was trying to get a tenant out of a storefront where she ran a beauty salon. It took him years to get her out. All the while she was paying $0 in rent.

Quoted:
I had a good friend who would always pull this out of the socket...
http://www.naturecabins.com/solar/images_600x400/20090214_electric_meter_solar_day1.jpg

That would get the landlord arrested here as well.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 5:18:36 AM EDT
[#42]
In another of these thread the landlord showed up at the rental with a gas can and started pouring it all over the front door.    The people left fast.      Ha    This was in England.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 5:21:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Took me 9 months to get some non paying pieces of shit out. Then my lawyer got a judge to garnished their wages to get the money out of them. The pieces of shit knew they were getting kicked out and waiting untill the DAY BEFORE the sheriff was comming to start moving out.

i'm not surprised.

on one of my other message boards one of the members wrote about her piece of shit neighbors who were being evicted.

in revenge the neighbors were trashing the place, which also meant she couldn't sleep through the noise.  can't remember if the police were able to help her much.

But yeah, I think that's why so many regular apartments do credit checks before they let you rent.  First to see (as suggested above) if you have anything worth garnishing for... but also to see how good you are about paying your bills.

The best time to kick people out really is before you even let them rent from you.  Because, after they start renting they get legal rights that protect them from being evicted easily.

Although I've noticed the process IS faster with regular apartment complexes.  I suppose that's because they have a legal department and they're familiar with the process.  

Back when I lived in Virginia my next door neighbors received a court summons for unpaid rent. I know because the maintenance man put it on MY door by accident and it freaked me the fuck out since I was reporting to the ship that night to get ready for deployment...  Then when I saw their names and address on it, I stuck it to their door.  When I got back about 3 months later, they were gone, and what appeared to be their old computer hutch was sitting in front of my patio. So I took it. ;)
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 5:30:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Can't you have the Sheriff drag them out and throw all their shit out in the road?

You can, but it involves a lengthy legal process, as in the above.

I've only had to forcibly evict one family so far.

Constables can do it too, since all they do is sit around, drink coffee, and bailiff the J.P. court...
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:03:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your alternative is to stop by your local biker gang and offer tham $500 to arrange to have the house evacuated.

Of course, you would want to pay in cash for plausible deniability just in case LEOs are brought in to question the individuals later at the hospital.

*Note*  This post is made in jest and in no way actually recommends that you do this.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:18:31 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
They are trespassers. If they're using any of your moveable property, they're burglars. Use the appropriate degree of force and put them out, on foot or feet first.

Do that here and you're getting arrested for Illegal Eviction. I feel so sorry for landlords sometimes when I'm at work. The deck is so stacked against them it's sad. Knew a landlord on Long Island who was trying to get a tenant out of a storefront where she ran a beauty salon. It took him years to get her out. All the while she was paying $0 in rent.

When I wrote that, I was not interpreting "squatters" as defaulting renters, but as actual squatters.

Florida eviction law is similarly horrible. However, all Chief LEOs who have jurisdiction over that sort of thing are elected, which makes it (rightly) very easy for landlords to "negotiate" with overstaying tenants.

The statutes (which I assume are much the same everywhere) are unfathomable to me. Reading them, one would think that the payment of rent was an idea conceived by Satan himself, that all landlords were Nazi saboteurs, and that the Constitution guarantees the right of Americans to live any house they take a fancy to, regardless of who owns it and whether the tenants are wanted there. It astonishes me, since my personal inclination (if I were cursed with being a residential landlord) would be to ensure that the dwellings I rented out were cheap enough to make it economically feasible to burn them down with the deadbeats inside and build new ones.

I hate thieves.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:45:09 AM EDT
[#47]
 I need to subscribe to your newsletter.

Originally posted by UXB in a completely unrelated thread:
Just throw a Malatov cocktail in the window and rake the place with machinegun fire.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 12:11:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I wrote that, I was not interpreting "squatters" as defaulting renters, but as actual squatters.

If the "actual squatters" have been there more than 30 days they're just as hard to get out as a tenant here.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 12:47:43 PM EDT
[#49]
I can't kick 'em out in the winter here in Idaho.  But i CAN move in with them.  Low income rentals are kinda property loss in these parts, they will destroy stuff.  Higher dollar rentals are usually less than 2 yrs,for me, and I've never had that problem. I've had OTHER problems but never with rental monies.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 1:01:12 PM EDT
[#50]
It seems like the land owner should be able to pursue this as crimanal theft of services.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top