Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2005 8:16:00 PM EDT
Hey guys, Im looking at buying some land in SW Tx, and its not too expensive but I would like to live on it one day, and at the moment I dont have a way to work from home and I sure cant retire yet. So, I am trying to figure out some ways to have the land help pay itself off.
So Im asking for Ideas on how to do that, here is what I have so far.
Hunting leases, Livestock(goats, cattle, things that can go a week or 2 w/o too much attention)
Ive heard selling the trees but I dont want to strip it like that, anyother Ideas would be great.
And if anyone know how much of a discount on taxes you get for having livestock I would like to know, or where to find out(dept of agricultrue Im guessing) and also if there are different breaks per type of animal or count?
Thanx in advance for the help.

Edit: Im looking at 100 Ac if that helps.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:18:47 PM EDT
[#1]
A Cindy Sheehan compound?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:19:22 PM EDT
[#2]
leaving stock on land without supervision  for weeks at a time sounds like a bad plan to me, they'll need care.

You could cut firewood.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:29:38 PM EDT
[#3]
SCREW Cindy Sheehan!

I didnt know if leaving cattle or goats for a week or two would be a bad idea. I figrued that if they had food and were in a well fenced in area that would be ok, but I guess I'd need to watch for wolves or coyotes and the such.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:46:52 PM EDT
[#4]
All kinds of things happen to stock, and it's a big financial blow if you lose one, not to mention the fact there's no money in it. It'd take decades to pay off the fencing if you're only raising a few head, they need feed, veterinarians, etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top