Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2002 10:02:53 AM EDT
[img]http://www.letour.com/2002/FINISH11.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.letour.com/2002/photos/11/ph17.jpg[/img]

There are still a number of crucial mountain stages to go, so the next week is still very important.  But if Armstrong holds on through early next week, he should be well positioned to take his 4th consecutive Tour de France.

Go Lance!

EDIT -- hey, that guy in the green jersey isn't Lance!  Either the address to that headshot got changed or I clicked and pasted the wrong one.  Corrected with this edit.  Anyone catch this?  (I haven't read the recent posts.)
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 10:11:32 AM EDT
[#1]
i btt'd my 11am post on the same topic...being ignored on page 2! heheheh!

c'mon folks....at least show some support for lance's efforts.

20 years ago, in the pre-lemond years, the euro's were LAUGHING at american cyclists! well, guess which nation is now considered a cycling powerhouse?

THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 10:15:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 10:21:20 AM EDT
[#3]
This is tomorrow's stage.

EDITED to add that here's why this stage is significant to Lance Armstrong:

Beyond his normal motivation, today's stage takes in the Col de Portet d'Aspet, where in 1995 Armstrong's Motorola teammate Fabio Casartelli died in a tragic crash. In 1995 he won the stage into Limoges two days later and said, "Today I rode with the strength of two men."
View Quote

Lance wants to dominate this stage in honor of his fallen teammate.

[img]http://www.letour.com/TDFMedia?service=MediaService&MEDIA_ID=3768&MEDIA_KEY=23706[/img]

Oh, and I'd like to clarify my previous post.  Next Wendesday will be a difficult stage.  Thursday is tough as well, but there is a downhill to the finish to try to pull things together.  Lance needs to be in good shape, physically and in the GC, going into Wednesday.  If he's playing catch up at that point, it'll be tough.  He needs to have things locked up by Wednesday.  Then he can let some others win the stage in the points battle as long as they don't threaten the GC standing.

Campy:

Yeah, but does your post have pictures?  [:D]  EDIT -- Doh!  I see it does.  See you on p. 4!!

EDIT noted in text.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 10:28:04 AM EDT
[#4]
as bob roll once said, "bang, bang...maxwell's silver hammer comes done HARD on l'alpe!
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 10:29:20 AM EDT
[#5]
as bob roll once said, "bang, bang...maxwell's silver hammer comes down HARD on l'alpe!
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 10:31:48 AM EDT
[#6]
This guy is incredible! I am a Canadian and I think this guy might be the greatest athlete ever.  I think Lance does not get the respect he deserves in the United States, in Europe they hate him because they are jealous.  But this guy is a better athlete and a better person then guy's like: Ali, Jordan or any other American athlete I can think of right now.

GO LANCE GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 11:14:22 AM EDT
[#7]
This will be four tours in a row for Dura Ace, sorry CampyBob. I've never owned a Campy bike, all three of my current road bikes are DA but it is stomach turning to even see the Colnagos with Shimano components on them.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 11:50:01 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't know crap about cycling, but from what I have read, this cat is like the Tiger Woods of his sport.
The local sportscaster here said if he doesn't win, he will jump in the river.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 11:57:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
This will be four tours in a row for Dura Ace, sorry CampyBob. I've never owned a Campy bike, all three of my current road bikes are DA but it is stomach turning to even see the Colnagos with Shimano components on them.
View Quote

Hell,, and I was going to ras CB about the Shimano gear as well.

You can ras me about my Ultegra gear: DA is just to damm expensive!!!!

Hey Campy, if I can make it to next years' Bulletfest, are you up for a 50-100 miler (casual ride with an occational stop sign sprint)?

You pick the course.

Jay
[img]http://www.commspeed.net/jmurray/images/iroc-cop.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 3:45:47 PM EDT
[#10]
az...as a law abiding road rider, i NEVER would dream of sprinting to a STOP sign!!!!

now...corporation limit signs are another thing altogether! heheh!

if i took you on an ohio cruise you would never go back to azirona! we have it green and beautiful with tons more secondary and tirtiary roads for cycling on!

i still remember climbing out of cottonwood...up thru jerome...up to, what? 7700' to the top of mt. mingus? and what a descent! we outran two harleys to the valley floor!

ah...oak creek canyon...hutch's pool...all my old haunts!

hell yeah, i'll go out and stretch the legs with ya. btw, a bike lane runs rigt in front of the bulletfest campground.

dugster...right on, brother man! in terms of raw athletic talent, lance may, indeed, be the finest alive. americans, as a mcdonald's eating-tv watching-couch potato nation have absofuckinglutely NO CLUE!

btw, i used to import the "gardin" bikes out of mississaugua and have met several of canada's finest cyclists. matter of fact, after racing a few months on an overweight schwinn...i purchased my first "real" racing machine in peterborough, ontario while ttending a can-am race (mosport) in 1972.

god bless canada!

i.b., lance could win on huret alvit derailleurs! yeah...it sucks for shitmano  to be seen winning...but after all, it's only fuglying up a bunch of treks!
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 6:08:46 PM EDT
[#11]
but after all, it's only fuglying up a bunch of treks!
View Quote

Hey, now watch it!  That's our "home team" around here!  [:D]

That being said, I ride a Reynolds 853 LeMond Zurich.  Shimano Ultegra front to rear.  I don't shoot plastic guns and I don't ride plastic bikes.  [;)]

Er, plastic [i]furniture[/i] doesn't count, does it?  [:\]
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 6:15:21 PM EDT
[#12]
None of the teams riding Colnago are using Campy. It's a disgrace to see Dura-Ace hung on the piece of art that is the Colnago frame. [>(]
I used to argue with a guy that I worked with about the athletic ability of pro cyclists exceeding that of pro football players.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 7:05:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I don't know crap about cycling, but from what I have read, this cat is like the Tiger Woods of his sport.
The local sportscaster here said if he doesn't win, he will jump in the river.
View Quote

Nothing against Tiger, but Lance beat what was thought to be terminal cancer just prior to taking his first Tour win.  I read his book "It's Not About the Bike," and it's incredible what that man went through.

Tiger woods might be a super human, but Lance Armstrong is super-human.  Lance's power and body functions have been studied and his heart is bigger, lungs have a greater capacity, his muscles have a higher lactic acid capacity, a higher power output, etc.  Someone fill us in on the details as it's been a while since I've had the numbers at my fingertips, but his body truly [i]works[/i] better than that of the top cyclists in the world.  And the Tour de France has been called the toughest athletic event in the world.

I just watched the stage, and it was cool (and by cool, I mean totally sweet [;)]) the way that Lance forced Beloki into 2nd place between him and Harras just prior to the finish.  Kind'a like, "okay, make your move brother," but we're watching you.

I don't think that Lance really exerted himself that much today.  I think that they rode it tactically and conservatively.  Harras is probably blown, but Lance should go into tomorrow relatively fresh.  I expect Lance to make his extraordinary solo effort tomorrow.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 7:11:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Campy,

I was born, raised, rode and worked in Ohio (Medina County), and I will only go back for very good reasons (shooting guns certainly does qualify).  

Mingus Mountain:
You climbed up the east face of Mingus:
Now that is a bear of a climb.

Clarkdale to Jerome is about 8 percent, if not more.  

I live 15 miles west of Mingus, so my climb isn't so bad (14 miles-2100 feet).

Jay

Link Posted: 7/19/2002 3:48:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Lance Armstrong = Superman on bicycle.

He has done what no other human can ever do.

Go Lance!
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 6:08:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Mingus is a Cat 1 climb from either side. With the old team Arizona Velo that I raced for we would climb it 3-4 times each summer. We would start at the Texaco in Prescott Valley go over the top through Jerome to the park in Cottonwood and back. They used to run a TT hill climb from the park to the top. I think the record was around 28 minutes. I love seeing the expression on the Harley riders as you zing past them on the way into Jerome. The only ones that could hang would be the Bulle pilots. I was once on top of Mingus in June and it started to snow. Turned to hail on the decent. What a bitch! Almost as scary as the time we were heading down the Prescott Valley side at about 40+ only to encounter three cows as we came around a blind corner.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 6:21:40 AM EDT
[#17]
I remember an interview last year.  The interviewer was asking about hints of "performance enhancing drugs".  

Armstrong, a little pissed, says something like, "Am I on something?  You bet I'm on something.  I'm on my BIKE, like 5 hours a day.  Every day."

Cool as hell.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 6:30:03 AM EDT
[#18]
In a few weeks, I'll do my happy birthday ride up and down Mingus to Clarkdale, and then, turn around and do it all over, except the ride back is harder.

Should make for good time.

Jay
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 6:37:14 AM EDT
[#19]
jay and i.b., ah! fellow mingus veterans!

"Mingus Mountain:
You climbed up the east face of Mingus:
Now that is a bear of a climb."

agreed! iirc, the steep pitches up into jerome were the worst of it (east approach). the lack of guardrail and 400' drops make cornering on glued tubulars very, very exacting!!!

"Clarkdale to Jerome is about 8 percent, if not more."

one pitch, just east of jerome has GOT to be 12%!!! heheheh! the one with the hard left at the bottom! hell, it's so steep they even put a wire type guard rail there! lol!

"I live 15 miles west of Mingus, so my climb isn't so bad (14 miles-2100 feet)."

still, a pretty climb from the prescott side...beautiful scenary!

i.b., i think i climbed mingus in june, also. above jerome there was still an inch or so of snow on the ground. temp was in the 40's, if memory serves.

i remember flying back down to that stop sign (cottonwood side)and wondering if i had brake pads left. my neck was sore from staying in a tuck for so long (and being tense from all those "long drop" corners!).

not to worry guys, i really miss azirona just about december 1st!
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 6:38:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I remember an interview last year.  The interviewer was asking about hints of "performance enhancing drugs".  

Armstrong, a little pissed, says something like, "Am I on something?  You bet I'm on something.  I'm on my BIKE, like 5 hours a day.  Every day."

Cool as hell.
View Quote

[img]http://www.puresportsart.com/warehouse/armstrong00nike-1.jpg[/img]

"This is my body,and I can do whatever I want to it.
I can push it, Study it, Tweak it, Listen to it.
Everybody wants to know what I'm on:
What am I on?
I'm on my bike busting my ass six hours a day.
What are you on?"

Lance Armstrong

Jay
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 7:12:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Lance just won the next stage by over 1 minute.  Whoohoo.  Go LANCE!
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 8:05:07 AM EDT
[#22]
[img]http://www.letour.com/2002/FINISH12.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.letour.com/2002/photos/12/ph7.jpg[/img]

Look at this gap -- Lance, putting the hurt on Beloki.
[img]http://www.letour.com/2002/photos/12/ph5.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 8:13:58 AM EDT
[#23]
AZCOP,

Have you ever riden with the guys from the Prescott chaingang? I did a couple of mt. bike rides with them years ago. I love Prescott and hope to move up there from Scottsdale someday. I attended Yavapai College's gunsmithing program for a couple of semesters. Have you ever shot in Bob Shimazu's IDPA matches at Granite Dells...fun stuff. Been to Gunsite? I took a 250 class from Cooper two years ago. I have an E-Ticket (expert cert.) signed by him.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 9:05:27 AM EDT
[#24]
hey...i climbed mingus in a 42x21...not nearly low enough! what gears do the locals use to climb in?
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 9:54:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Colnago here, with it's original Campy friction shifters.  Did a couple of centuries on it, one in Mammoth at altitudes from 7-9000 feet, half a dozen decent grades and descents with the halfway point Mono Lake.  Also MB'd the Harding Truck Trail here in Orange County.  [url]www.trails.com/explore/x/supergo/tcatalog_trail.asp?TrailID=BGS095-034[/url]

It averages about 6% for 10-11 miles ending in a great 360 degree view that was spectacular on a clear day.  

No racing but I have broken one helmet and gotten some good road rash.

Bike racing is one eurosport I've grown to like.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 1:38:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
hey...i climbed mingus in a 42x21...not nearly low enough! what gears do the locals use to climb in?
View Quote

Well, I did my birthday ride today instead, and I was in my 39/23 the last 2/3's of the ride coming back up the east side.

I my calves started cramping, so I couldn't push real hard.

On a good day, I think I could have gone up in 39/19, which is my usual hill gear.

I_B:

I haven't rode with any of the Prescott chain gang people.

The truth is, I haven't rode with anyone since I moved to this area:
Just a bunch of bad timing to try to get riding with anyone.

Jay
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 2:15:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Armstrong looks very strong. He looked like he was trying to give the stage win to Heras today, but Heras couldn't quite bridge up. Gotta keep the egos on the team fed and cared for.

I still don't think Armstrong has really extended himself, and he's got one or two big stages left in him. He's got 2.5 minutes on Beloki, which is significant but not iron-clad.

Question of the day: who is the greater cyclist, Armstrong or Lemond? I still have some reactionary liking for Lemond, who tended to have a lot of drama in his wins. Bitchslap (or get bitchslapped by) Hinault! Win on the last day of a 200 mile race by six seconds! His competition at the top level was maybe a little stiffer. Armstrong has Ulrich, who, while fantastically talented, is a manifest head case.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 5:58:37 PM EDT
[#28]
I hope he takes it all the way. I know he usually waits till the end to go for broke. Hill climbing always kills my legs, he must have really good circulation in his legs. The combination of strength and extreme endurance are usually polar opposites when it comes to muscle mass.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 6:04:01 PM EDT
[#29]
I agree that Lance hasn't been riding to his potential.  And, by saying that, I mean that I think he's been very conservative and is saving his legs for the coming stages.  That he could put 2.5 minutes on Beloki without going into "tear their legs off" mode says a lot about his strength.

Remember "the look"?  I think he's saving that kind of riding for next week.  Lance hasn't dropped the hammer yet.  And this Tour route was probably designed specifically to defeat him, or at least give the others a fighting chance.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top