Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2016 2:02:34 PM EDT
I was listening to the lyrics at the gym the other day and thought damn, that shits intense. Wonder what the meaning behind it is.

Google did not disappoint:

"Torches" was inspired by a Czech student named Jan Palach. In 1968 the Warsaw Pact invaded Czechoslovakia in an attempt to keep the Czech people under communist rule. Since the Nazis had already destroyed and brutalized Czechoslovakia during World War II, this student went to Wenceslas Square to the stairs of the National Museum during a busy time of the day and set himself on fire. He walked down the steps in protest and then died a few days later. He became a symbol of dissidence for the Czechs up until the end of the communist area. Blythe says he learned of the topic while awaiting his trial and had a lot of respect for him. It also made Blythe think about "what kind of mentality does a person have to be in to be so upset that you burn yourself alive? That's got to be an unpleasant way to go." The song was inspired by visiting Palach's grave. The song also features guest vocals by Greg Puciato of Dillinger Escape Plan.[14]
View Quote

Apparently we haven't sorted out embedded videos yet.

LINK

Link Posted: 12/15/2016 2:18:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Love me some lamb of god.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 2:19:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Well the song sucks but the stories cool. LoG has some good songs, this definitely isn't one of them.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 2:22:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I just learned not long ago that 512 was written about his time in the Czech prison (512 was cell number). And they just released a new EP called The Duke written about a good friend and fan of the bands that recently passed away from Leukemia.

Edited to add videos

Lamb of God - 512 (Official Video)

Lamb of God - The Duke (Official Audio)
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 2:32:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Glad I'm not the only one struggling with the Youtube embed.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 2:33:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well the song sucks but the stories cool. LoG has some good songs, this definitely isn't one of them.
View Quote

Cracka, you cray! Song is tits.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 2:40:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Cracka, you cray! Song is tits.
View Quote

Yeah, old octogenarian in a nursing home tits.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 12:02:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yeah, old octogenarian in a nursing home tits.
View Quote

Had to Google that and I respectfully disagree.

Good day to you, SIR!
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 4:40:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I was listening to the lyrics at the gym the other day and thought damn, that shits intense. Wonder what the meaning behind it is.

Google did not disappoint:

"Torches" was inspired by a Czech student named Jan Palach. In 1968 the Warsaw Pact invaded Czechoslovakia in an attempt to keep the Czech people under communist rule. Since the Nazis had already destroyed and brutalized Czechoslovakia during World War II, this student went to Wenceslas Square to the stairs of the National Museum during a busy time of the day and set himself on fire. He walked down the steps in protest and then died a few days later. He became a symbol of dissidence for the Czechs up until the end of the communist area. Blythe says he learned of the topic while awaiting his trial and had a lot of respect for him. It also made Blythe think about "what kind of mentality does a person have to be in to be so upset that you burn yourself alive? That's got to be an unpleasant way to go." The song was inspired by visiting Palach's grave. The song also features guest vocals by Greg Puciato of Dillinger Escape Plan.[14]
View Quote

Apparently we haven't sorted out embedded videos yet.

LINK
View Quote

There is short series about it by HBO called Burning Bush - pretty intense (also helpful if you want to learn swearing in Czech)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top