Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/27/2006 12:55:53 PM EDT
North Carolina Officer Fired After Shooting Investigation
Story by wral.com

A Raleigh police officer has been fired from her job after an internal investigation into the shooting death of a man as he tried to steal her personal vehicle.

Michelle Peele, who had been employed with the Raleigh Police Department since 1998, had been on administrative duties since she fatally shot Nyles Arrington as he allegedly attempted to steal her vehicle outside a Raleigh restaurant in August. A grand jury declined to indict her on charges related to the shooting on Tuesday.

The termination of Peele’s employment marked the end of the departmental investigation. No more details of the investigation are being released, citing state privacy laws
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:57:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag.  Hoping for more information.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:57:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Sure sounds like bullshit...should have been given a medal for ridding the world of one scumbag....
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:08:48 PM EDT
[#3]
This was a follow up to a previous thread regarding this incident.  IIRC she was working as a Security Guard at a restaurant or club and the shoot was a wobbler.  IIRC the shoot was marginal for an Oficer on duty, which she wasn't, and probably a bad shoot for a civilian (yes I know but she was a civilian at the time).  They probably fired her for the way she was working where she was working in violation of the rules.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:13:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:33:40 PM EDT
[#5]
A perfect example of how useful a tro' gun is, IMO.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:36:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Good example of how a lawfull shooting can still get you fired as a PD may impose more restrictive standards than state law.  What's the defining case law on that one again?  Long Beach vs. Long Beach POA or something?

unfortunatly that case law also says an officer may be held civilly liable for lawfull actions which violate a more restrictive than law department policy.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:39:31 PM EDT
[#7]
It may or may not have been fully legally justified; the grand jury refused to indict.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:40:58 PM EDT
[#8]
tag
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:41:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Garner vs TN

Really sucked
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:43:25 PM EDT
[#10]
The grand jury refused to indict.  That should have been the end of it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:52:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:55:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Tag for details.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:09:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The grand jury refused to indict.  That should have been the end of it.

The Grand Jury failing to indict is just the first step.

Any police shooting is going to be put thru the wringer at least 5-7 times at the the local, state, federal and civil levels.

We have one here where the "victims" family is now suing officers that dealt with the subject in the days BEFORE the shooting.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:10:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Man that sucks.  Shoot a dirtbag and get fired.

Max
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:19:03 PM EDT
[#15]
NC, and most Southern States do not allow deadly force to be used in the protection of personal property unless you fear for your life situation and are still subject to the 4 rule test.  That's most likely why they fired her.  More and more juries are getting tired of criminals getting off because of a crap law and are declining to convict folks for protecting their property.  South Carolina's AG did the best thing by telling his DAs to not even arrest a home owner for shooting a home invader - go South Carolina.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:30:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Let me guess...she used to date the dead guy?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:34:14 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
We have one here where the "victims" family is now suing officers that dealt with the subject in the days BEFORE the shooting.

Families will and do sue for anything.

A Long Beach Patrol officer was sued in the 1970's when he shot and killed an armed suspect with his approved duty weapon, a .45 long colt revolver.  the cdeceased family sued, claiming the officer was civily liable becasue their son might have survived if he had been shot with the more common .38 Spec and that the officers choise of a .45 colt revolver showed malice.  I dont remember if the city settle or the plantiffs lost, but the officer was not held liable in court.  unfortunately the officer was haunted by the shooting/investigation(s)/suits, became an alcoholic and eventually took his own life.  I've been to a couple training classes and went target shooting with his son.

I was sued for excessive force when I shot a man who had called his girlfriend, told her he was coming to kill her then showed up armed with a rifle.  He survived, paralyzed from a 230Gn Gold Dot core fragment lodged in his spine.   I was sued for killing a bank robber that shot at me with a illegal slam fire conversion mac-11 type pistol. I was sued for false arrest for arresting a drunk lawyer at a wedding.  I was sued for excessive force for arresting another drunk lawyer at another wedding. I was sued for false arrest for arresting an LA cop who was assaulting his girlfriend. There are others pending that i cannot comment on.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:18:55 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Families will and do sue for anything.

A Long Beach Patrol officer was sued in the 1970's when he shot and killed an armed suspect with his approved duty weapon, a .45 long colt revolver.  the cdeceased family sued, claiming the officer was civily liable becasue their son might have survived if he had been shot with the more common .38 Spec and that the officers choise of a .45 colt revolver showed malice.  I dont remember if the city settle or the plantiffs lost, but the officer was not held liable in court.  unfortunately the officer was haunted by the shooting/investigation(s)/suits, became an alcoholic and eventually took his own life.  I've been to a couple training classes and went target shooting with his son.

I was sued for excessive force when I shot a man who had called his girlfriend, told her he was coming to kill her then showed up armed with a rifle.  He survived, paralyzed from a 230Gn Gold Dot core fragment lodged in his spine.   I was sued for killing a bank robber that shot at me with a illegal slam fire conversion mac-11 type pistol. I was sued for false arrest for arresting a drunk lawyer at a wedding.  I was sued for excessive force for arresting another drunk lawyer at another wedding. I was sued for false arrest for arresting an LA cop who was assaulting his girlfriend. There are others pending that i cannot comment on.

Damn AR15fan, I hope you won those cases.  The above case sounds like a good shoot and if I was on the jury, I would not indict her either. Damn crooks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top