Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2005 7:38:45 AM EDT
My wife and I went to the local range (Dietz) to sight in her Ruger M77 MK II, with a new Weaver Grand Slam scope from SWFA. Mind you I'm no gunsmith and installed the scope myself, not a difficult thing to do but it was a first for me. We get to the range and set up, put the target up at 100 yds.

I set up the spotting scope at the table next to her, and the R.S.O. walks up while I’m telling my her to take her time to try to get the best zero possible and not to get frustrated if we're not on paper the first few rounds.

Asshat R.S.O. tells her in a mocking and degrading manner, "ya'll might want to shoot at the 50 meter target first, you're not gonna hit crap". I make the googlie eyes at her and she laughs at me.

He mumbles under his breath, "fucking amateurs", and walks off shaking his head.

She gets a sight picture and fires off the 1st round, not even on paper. I tell her that's o.k. shoot another one off with the same sight picture and aiming point. I can see where the round impacts the backing of the target. She puts the rifle on safe and I start cranking the dials to put the scope on paper. Now I'm no expert on scopes and how they work so I used the same principle as I do with my AR. Bullet hits here, move the dial 1 click for every 1/4 inch the impact is off.

After a minute or so of that, she sights in and fires another one off. Dead center. Bang-keyhole, bang-perfect 3 shot group all holes touch each other. Six more rounds within the next 30 minutes and her target looks like something you'd see at a competition. Man she is one hell of a shot.

So this R.S.O. is staring intently and smiles in a condescending half smirk, as we’re leaving  I said "Yes we are amateurs, but we're Godamn we're good at it".

Luck or Skill?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:46:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Good job! But when I read stuff like this, I'm glad I'm a member of a private shooting range- we are ALL ROs there, looking out for each other.

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:46:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, F the range monkeys. I'd say some luck clicking it in on paper so well, but skill on her part banging the shots it there.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:52:08 AM EDT
[#3]

Luck or Skill?

A little of both.

Don't take that as a jab. Luck can be your best friend.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:35:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I think you applied common sense.

I tend to sight in at closer ranges and walk it out.

You did a good job and I can't criticize you for it.

Plus, I think you picked up some bonus points with the Mrs.!!!
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:47:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Luck.  The RO was correct in that it is easier to sight in closer.

Groups are 5 rounds, not 3, but I'm glad your wife enjoyed shooting.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:47:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I find a good boresighting works wonders.  I usually sight in alone so I can't always see where the bullet impacts if I miss the paper completely.  I typically start at 50, zero it there, and then see where I hit at 100.  MJD
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:53:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Whiskey for my men and beer for my horses. Good job and tell your wife not to take any crap from so called "know it alls".
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:57:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Good job

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:58:40 AM EDT
[#9]
It's Dietz's.  What do you expect, somebody that actually likes his customers?

edit punctuation
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top