Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2015 3:48:33 AM EST
How does this paragraph affect you?

An artist can look at a pretty girl and see the old woman she will become. A better artist can look at an old woman and see the pretty girl she used to be. But a great artist--a master--and that is what Auguste Rodin was--can look at an old woman, portray her exactly as she is...and force the viewer to see the pretty girl she used to be...more than that, he can make anyone with the sensitivity of an armadillo see that this lovely young girl is still alive, not old and ugly at all, but simply prisoned inside her ruined body. He can make you feel the quiet, endless tragedy that there was never a girl born who ever grew older than eighteen in her heart...no matter what the merciless hours have done to her. Look at her. Growing old doesn't matter to you and me; we were never meant to be admired--but it does to them. Look at her!
View Quote

Attrib link
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:55:05 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/1/2015 4:23:30 AM EST by glorifiedG]
Sorry. Reminds me of the old man in the hospital story.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:05:51 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By glorifiedG:
Sorry. Reminds me of the old man in the hospital story.
View Quote

The one about the "lunger's ward?"
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:18:34 AM EST
What can the skilled artist portray about tub girl?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:01:48 AM EST
A great master can make them look anyway he wants
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:03:53 AM EST
It's a damn statue. I hate when people try to make art into something more than it is.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:13:55 AM EST
It mostly just bugs me. The pervasive notion that youth and beauty are a woman's defining worth. Like it said, everyone grows old. Why is it only *tragic* when it's a beautiful woman?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:18:50 AM EST
If it can invoke an emotion inside you, then it is successful in its goal.

For me, the HELGA paintings by Andrew Wyeth do it. The wrinkled lined face exudes a sexuality that reveals her past looks.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:23:16 AM EST
Originally Posted By OnlineAllTheTime:
It mostly just bugs me. The pervasive notion that youth and beauty are a woman's defining worth. Like it said, everyone grows old. Why is it only *tragic* when it's a beautiful woman?
View Quote

This. Life is a journey, not a moment in time. The only tragedy is to never have lived it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:36:44 AM EST
View Quote

Pretty much this. Annoying drivel.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:43:08 AM EST
View Quote

Unfortunately a large part of your Gender relies on it's looks to make up for work, talent, intelligence....(things that don't disappear with age)

Since they only bring that to the table, the stark differences become that much more pronounced.

It's up to your Gender to correct this not men.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:43:16 AM EST
“Old age ain't no place for sissies.” —Bette Davis

Also we live longer on average and don't grow hair in our ear canals.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:44:41 AM EST
Originally Posted By parthy:
“Old age ain't no place for sissies.” —Bette Davis

Also we live longer on average and don't grow hair in our ear canals.
View Quote

I don't think that was a very nice thing to say!!

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:50:25 AM EST
Originally Posted By Baldmonk:

Unfortunately a large part of your Gender relies on it's looks to make up for work, talent, intelligence....(things that don't disappear with age)

Since they only bring that to the table, the stark differences become that much more pronounced.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

It's not up to an entire gender to correct anything. Just as it is not up to the male gender to correct the men that never move past their high school jock days.

Such things are done on an individual level. You either become a person of substance, or you do not. You cannot live your life making up for the shortcomings of others.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:51:51 AM EST

View All Quotes

Oh, please. Since the beginning of time womens' worth has been tied up in her beauty. Imagine if Helen of Troy was coveted for her intelligence and work ethic.

Look at the guilty/not guilty threads here. Regardless of what a woman does or who she is, it all comes down to how hot she is.

Like the argument here for why it's ok to be assholes-----chicks dig assholes-----many women try to capitalize on their looks because that's what the people around them value.

The blame isn't totally on women for that.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:52:25 AM EST
Annoying and stupid. Author needs to fuck off.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:53:30 AM EST
Originally Posted By Naamah:

It's not up to an entire gender to correct anything. Just as it is not up to the male gender to correct the men that never move past their high school jock days.

Such things are done on an individual level. You either become a person of substance, or you do not. You cannot live your life making up for the shortcomings of others.
View All Quotes

This.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:53:37 AM EST

Oh, please. Since the beginning of time womens' worth has been tied up in her beauty. Imagine if Helen of Troy was coveted for her intelligence and work ethic.

Look at the guilty/not guilty threads here. Regardless of what a woman does or who she is, it all comes down to how hot she is.

Like the argument here for why it's ok to be assholes-----chicks dig assholes-----many women try to capitalize on their looks because that's what the people around them value.

View All Quotes

That too.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:03:00 AM EST
View Quote

Age affects both of us. Women are known for their beauty, it fades with age. Men want to be strong and feared, that fades with age. It's just the way it is.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:04:54 AM EST
Originally Posted By dan_in_co:

Age affects both of us. Women are known for their beauty, it fades with age. Men want to be strong and feared, that fades with age. It's just the way it is.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dan_in_co:

Plenty of women are known for their strongness, goodness and skills. It's not "just the way it is".
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:05:48 AM EST

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:46:16 PM EST
Is OP coming back?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:48:14 PM EST
View Quote

I kind of felt the same thing.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:48:45 PM EST

View All Quotes

What
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:50:38 PM EST
I think he left it out in the sun, it's melting.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:54:46 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:06:19 PM EST

View All Quotes

If men only bring shallowness based on looks for qualification then don't be surprised if many women see that as their only value.

Cause and effect, goes both ways.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:08:27 PM EST
Originally Posted By Mystified:

If men only bring shallowness based on looks for qualification then don't be surprised if many women see that as their only value.

View All Quotes

Haven't seen you in an age, sugar! How've you been?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:09:54 PM EST

View All Quotes

I just thought the same thing.

A presence that has been missed.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:10:33 PM EST
View Quote

because old hairy butts are not my thing..
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:12:26 PM EST
I love my wrinkled wife
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:14:29 PM EST
My great grandma is 97 and she doesn't want you to look at her thinking about what she looked like, she wants you to look at her and think "God damn that broad could make some fucking cookies." If you look at an old lady and see her as ugly and ruined, choke yourself. Old ladies are cute as fuck. Except the mean old bats, but no one liked them when they were young and fresh either.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:15:21 PM EST
Originally Posted By XCRmonger:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By XCRmonger:

Been around, just under your noses
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:47:08 PM EST
Then another question that is a slight tangent for the original. If your face was horribly disfigured in some sort of attack or incident. Would you wear your scars proud or wear a mask? I noticed lots of people just go out with a jacked up melon and I feel like it's an opportunity lost. Why not wear a Deadpool mask or power ranger helmet 24/7?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:54:58 PM EST

Been around, just under your noses
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:59:02 PM EST

Timeless beauty
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:08:04 PM EST
Originally Posted By AmmoHoarder:
My great grandma is 97 and she doesn't want you to look at her thinking about what she looked like, she wants you to look at her and think "God damn that broad could make some fucking cookies." If you look at an old lady and see her as ugly and ruined, choke yourself. Old ladies are cute as fuck. Except the mean old bats, but no one liked them when they were young and fresh either.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:09:36 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/1/2015 4:10:55 PM EST by Renata]
Interesting.

I recall several discussions with some of the GD population, where they bitch about women. They talk about how what she brings to the table is her looks. They select her as a mate, based on her looks. She'd better be pretty and appropriately thin, dammit. Because that's where her value lies!

Then these same guys proceed to bitch about her when they discover that she's also a shrew, crazy, evil.

I recall asking these guys, how come they didn't factor in her character as well, not just her looks, when they were picking her out?

Crickets. Crickets is what I got back.

And you guys want to claim that women are the ones who need to fix this?

I was always raised to cultivate my skills and other qualities. Sure, look as good as you can, but looks don't last. If someone else only sees my looks, and nothing else, that's not my problem.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:09:34 PM EST
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BigeasySnow:
Originally Posted By AmmoHoarder:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/55/eb/ac/55ebaccd614021eac2e1ce4f79bf84e7.jpg

The cutest old gal alive holding the second cutest gal alive (my daughter, her great-great granddaughter). Together they're cuter than a basket full of kittens.

Top Top