Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2011 2:33:33 PM EDT
Today I stood up, raised my right hand, swore an oath, and became a police officer...tomorrow night I start field training on morning watch.  The responsibility is a little daunting, and at the same time, I can't wait to get out there and start learning the job.  Prayers, encouragement and advice appreciated, and thanks for being such an awesome community of guys (and gals!)  I don't post much, but I read a great deal, and y'all never fail to inform and/or bring a smile to my face.  Thanks and take care of yourselves out there!

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 3:20:38 PM EDT
[#1]
bring an apple, find a nice coffee cup...do whats right, talk when its time to talk....act when its time to act...and realize you will make mistakes
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:33:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Congratulations!!!

I give the same advice to every new person at my department.

Keep your eyes open and mouth shut. You think you have an idea of police work, you have no idea even close. Loose all your expectations and generalizations of what LE work is. Just soak up what you are really doing/being taught like a sponge.  

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:30:50 PM EDT
[#3]
congratulation !!!!!!!!!!!! be safe
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 1:28:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 1:30:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Congratulations and Good Luck! Your FO time has come!
Keep your eyes open and be safe.

10 more weeks here.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 3:38:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Today I stood up, raised my right hand, swore an oath, and became a police officer...

My condolences sir.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 5:57:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Look up the catchphrase from this movie, then live by it.

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 6:05:18 AM EDT
[#8]
grats!  
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 9:37:23 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

http://www.liketotally80s.com/images/rbwc-james-dalton.jpg

They actually showed a particular clip from that movie during week 2 of my academy...
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 9:42:06 AM EDT
[#10]

Originally Posted By ––bullseye––:
Quoted:

http://www.liketotally80s.com/images/rbwc-james-dalton.jpg

They actually showed a particular clip from that movie during week 2 of my academy...

Eerily enough, mine too.  Patrick Swayze was the LAST guy I thought I was gonna see on TV in Defensive Tactics class...

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 9:57:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Learn the "Warrior Code" also known as "The Way of the Warrior" and live by it! Good luck with your new career. Listen to your FTO, learn learn learn...

THE WAY

CODES OF CONDUCT

HONESTY AND JUSTICE

Be acutely honest throughout your dealings with all people. Believe in justice, not from other people, but from yourself. To the true Exemplar, there are no shades of gray in the question of honesty and justice. There is only right and wrong.

POLITE COURTESY

A Warrior has no reason to be cruel. They do not need to prove their strength. An Exemplar is courteous even to his enemies. Without this outward show of respect, we are nothing more than animals.

HEROIC COURAGE

Rise up above the masses of people who are afraid to act. Hiding like a turtle in a shell is not living at all. A Fighter must have heroic courage. It is absolutely risky, It is dangerous. It is living life completely, fully, wonderfully. Heroic courage is not blind, it is intelligent and strong.

HONOR

A true person of honor has only one judge of honor, and this is him/herself. Decisions you make and how these decisions are carried out are a refection of whom you truly are. You cannot hide from yourself.

COMPASSION

Through intense training the Fighter becomes quick and strong. He is not as other men. He develops a power that must be used for the good of all. He has compassion. He helps his fellow man at every opportunity. If an opportunity does not arise, he goes out of his way to find one.

COMPLETE SINCERITY

When a Warrior has said he will perform an action, it is as good as done. Nothing will stop him from completing what he has said he will do. He does not have to "give his word." He does not have to "promise."

DUTY AND LOYALTY

For the Warrior, having done some "thing" or said some "thing," he knows he owns that "thing." He is responsible for it, and all the consequences that follow. A Warrior is immensely loyal to those in his care, to those he is responsible for, he remains fiercely true.

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 10:35:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 10:40:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Pens... lots of pens.

Congrats BTW.

Segregate them into "me pens" and "everyone else pens".
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 10:55:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pens... lots of pens.

Congrats BTW.

No waiting until he deals with the lady who was speeding to the hospital because she has MRSA and she just held his pad and pen to sign her ticket?

(happened to a friend of mine)
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 1:52:37 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pens... lots of pens.
Congrats BTW.

No waiting until he deals with the lady who was speeding to the hospital because she has MRSA and she just held his pad and pen to sign her ticket?

(happened to a friend of mine)

Another reason why I'm glad we don't have to have them sign tickets.

Link Posted: 8/14/2011 9:11:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks guys!  First night went well, somehow got incredibly luck and had Friday and Saturday nights back off, going in again tonight, can't wait!  Take care of yourselves out there!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top