Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2004 3:33:45 AM EDT
I have no idea what to get my mother for her birthday.

Could you give me some ideas since I am drawing a complete blank?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I already have a card I just need a gift to go with it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:14:44 AM EDT
[#1]
What kind of things does your mother like? That would be the first place to start. If there isn't anything you can think of that she likes or needs, try a gift certificate for dinner out, hair and nails done, something she would enjoy other then a "present".  
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:45:19 AM EDT
[#2]
It depends.  How old is your mother?  How often do you see her?  What are her interest?
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:49:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:21:04 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
What kind of things does your mother like? That would be the first place to start. If there isn't anything you can think of that she likes or needs, try a gift certificate for dinner out, hair and nails done, something she would enjoy other then a "present".  

+1. Gift certificate for something she normally wouldn't get for herself. This is quick and easy...

Or....

take the time to make her something special just from you...are you good at woodwork? drawing? have some photos you can put into a photo album?

Or....

A home made "coupon" for a day out with her. She would probably enjoy just spending some time with you!
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 7:17:06 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

+1. Gift certificate for something she normally wouldn't get for herself. This is quick and easy...
Or....

Easier said than done there really isn't that much to get that she doesn't get for her self.  Plus my father is pretty good on taking care of that before I or my brothers can get to it.

take the time to make her something special just from you...are you good at woodwork? drawing? have some photos you can put into a photo album?
Or....

For X-mas and her birthday last year I did a framed photo colage of the family from old photos I found in a shoe box of the clan.  So know thier house looks like a photo galary.

A home made "coupon" for a day out with her. She would probably enjoy just spending some time with you!

Although I love her dearly we drive each other completely nuts.  I see her about 3-4 times a week when I pick up my nephew to spoil.  So time is spent.

Ogre_4070
It depends. How old is your mother?

She will be 54 this month.

How often do you see her?

I see her about 3 - 4 times a week.

What are her interest?

It varies from year to year.  and for the last 4 it has been my brothers kid.
Here is a link to the little Pimp

I just may end up with gift certificates.  But I think they are just over done these days.

I am just stumped.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 7:21:13 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Although I love her dearly we drive each other completely nuts.  I see her about 3-4 times a week when I pick up my nephew to spoil.  So time is spent.

this is not time with just her--this is time when you are there to perform a function

arrange time to do something with ONLY her, doing what SHE wants, with NO COMPLAINING

Link Posted: 8/18/2004 7:37:42 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
]
this is not time with just her--this is time when you are there to perform a function

arrange time to do something with ONLY her, doing what SHE wants, with NO COMPLAINING

This me and my brothers have tried before (individualy and as a group) and it didn't work very well.  I do not know why it didnot work  but it didn't.  No camplaining from me or my brothers at all.

But now since she has two daughters-in-law to do the girly things thats who she does it with.

My mother is difficult to shop for by the way.  And this is being helpful.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:04:51 AM EDT
[#8]
I hate shopping for people like this...they seem to have everything.  I don't know what your budget is but maybe flowers (make certain they are her favorite if she has a favorite) and dinner or flowers and the gift certificate.  Jewelery or a mini vacation are other suggestions.  Maybe a season pass to somewhere she could take your nephew - something that shows her you know what is important to her.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:21:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Sounds like a tough one.  Does she like gardening at all?  Potted plants make a nice gift.  Get one of those big strawberry pots (with holes in the side) and put flowers in it.  They turn out really pretty.  Of course, it won't work if she kills houseplants on sight the way I do.  

The best thing you can give her will be something that is well thought out and has a little bit of you in it.  Like putting the flowers in the pot or making a nice jewelery box.  You may make her crazy, but I'm willing to bet that she still loves you dearly and cherishes the things you give her.  Heck, my boys make me crazy, but..... where was I going with that?

PS.  You could always cross stitch or crotchet something for her.  I'm sre she would be highly impressed.    I'm only half kidding.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:22:45 AM EDT
[#10]
I have the perfect solution! Here it is...[HOTD]

For the woman who has everything
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:24:46 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I have the perfect solution! Here it is...

Jesus, some people are reading this in public, wheres the warning!
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:32:47 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm not trying to be negative, but homemade gifts are nice when your kids are little.  But unless you have a special talent or skill homemade gifts from grown children are usually just something to make you think "what the hell were you thinking?" or "where am I going to put this?"
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:40:30 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

My father and brothers will kill me for my own good if I ever do that.   And I pray that they would, for my own well being.

cat_aclysm

PS. You could always cross stitch or crotchet something for her. I'm sre she would be highly impressed.  I'm only half kidding.

My frandmother taught me how to do this when I was younger.   The rest of the famliy thinks I am strange because of it.  Well not just the cross stitch and crotchet its the blending of that and my gun collection that puts them off.  

Both of my parents work.  Any plant will die a slow death.

My moms is not really into that type of stuff for decor or wall hangings but it is giving me an idea I think .
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:48:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Arrange for a family portrait, either the whole family including in laws and grandkids, or just her and her kids (you and brother?).  Find out what she used to like to do as a kid, we all had hobbies right? Did she ride horses? Take her riding, or to an exhibition. Tennis? take her to a tennis game? Plants, arrange a picnic lunch at the botanical gardens. If both parents work, maybe arrange for a nice picnic for the two of them. Try to find something that is uniquely her. Ask your dad what she used to be interested in. Neil Diamond? Tom Jones - concert? A collection of their albums?
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:49:57 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jesus, some people are reading this in public, wheres the warning!

Whaaaaa....
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:06:47 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

WOOOHOOOOO! Cept I have the top one, a little heavier, a little older, but still a Marine!!
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:48:10 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
]

This me and my brothers have tried before (individualy and as a group) and it didn't work very well.  I do not know why it didnot work  but it didn't.  No camplaining from me or my brothers at all.

But now since she has two daughters-in-law to do the girly things thats who she does it with.

My mother is difficult to shop for by the way.  And this is being helpful.

Why don't you fund a "girl's day out".  A trip to whatever girly thing she does with the company of her favorite girly partner in crime?  Call up the girls and pick a day, and have it all set up.  Brunch someplace nice, nails done, hair did, bus trip to atlantic city... whatever.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 2:15:06 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

typical sigziggy idea of what we all need  

i like persephone's idea of funding a ladies day..
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:24:06 PM EDT
[#19]
I vote for a pedicure!  Until you have had one you don't know what you are missing!  Pedicure and Manicure is my vote!  What pampering!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:41:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Any update from this? What did you get for her?

AND...

How did she like it?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top