Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 10/28/2013 8:58:40 PM EST
A couple months ago I won a Savage Hog Hunter in .308 and I'm just now getting around to putting a scope on it. I bought this base from EGW and this scope. Now, my question is, should I spend the money on a LaRue mount now so I have it when I upgrade optics or just use a cheap pair of rings until I can afford a very nice scope? I've been looking at the LT120 mount and using 30mm to 1in adapters. I'm going to be using the rifle for hunting and target shooting at sub 400yard ranges, but as I get more experience I'll extend that range. Any other scope ring or one piece mount recommendations?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:00:52 PM EST
Buy once cry once, save until you can afford the glass you want with the correct mount
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:02:18 PM EST
Mount now, cheap Redfield or Bushnell too. Good glass later
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:06:59 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Amped:
Buy once cry once, save until you can afford the glass you want with the correct mount
View Quote

I have no intention of turning this rifle into a long range precision machine. Based on the reviews the vortex would be good for hunting and putting holes in stuff at medium range. I was thinking that if I buy the LaRue (or other quality) mount now I would have it for when I build a higher end gun.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:09:57 PM EST
Originally Posted By BladedRonin:
View Quote

Ok. Any recommendations for mounts or do you think the LaRue lt120 is good to go?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:11:19 PM EST
I love Larue. If it is the right height, and your base is good, pull the trigger man
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:11:33 PM EST
I always get Leupold mounts

I prefer QD
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:16:44 PM EST
Originally Posted By aircaptain9:

I have no intention of turning this rifle into a long range precision machine. Based on the reviews the vortex would be good for hunting and putting holes in stuff at medium range. I was thinking that if I buy the LaRue (or other quality) mount now I would have it for when I build a higher end gun.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Amped:

Understandable....I did the same thing.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:18:01 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/28/2013 9:21:53 PM EST by amos1909]

Ok. Any recommendations for mounts or do you think the LaRue lt120 is good to go?
View All Quotes

Bobro or Larue are the best, IMHO. I have both and I think I like the Larue best.

I believe that you will like the Vortex. Had a freind that bought one and he had problems with the first one (would not hold zero) but they sent him a replacement and he loves it!!!
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:18:40 PM EST
I love Larue. If it is the right height, and your base is good, pull the trigger man
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:34:26 PM EST
Originally Posted By amos1909:

Bobro or Larue are the best, IMHO. I have both and I think I like the Larue best.

I believe that you will like the Vortex. Had a freind that bought one and he had problems with the first one (would not hold zero) but they sent him a replacement and he loves it!!!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By amos1909:

Bobro looks good too... I think I'll go with LaRue though. I have a friend with a vortex scope too. He said he likes it better than the Leupold that he spent over $500 on. For the money I don't think they can be beat. I did read about the occasional scope that wouldn't zero or had crosshairs that got out of wack, but those reviews also stated that Vortex either repaired or replaced them quickly and at no charge.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:24:03 PM EST
I have a vortex viper on my duty AR and it sits on a larue qd mount Cant ever remember which one...." />
Sorry, kinda hard to see in this lighting.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:26:04 PM EST
It also has repeat zero for when i take it off for something else.
To quote Ferris Bueller- If you have the money, it is choice..
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:32:20 PM EST
A high dollar optic in a cheap mount that won't hold zero is worthless.

A cheaper optic in a good mount is still useful.

I've had cheap mounts. I've spent hours at the range chasing zero wondering what the fuck was wrong with me. Fuck cheap mounts. Get the larue, and it will last you a lifetime. Yeah, it's expensive. I've never regretted a dollar I've spent at larue.com, and I'm not rich.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:33:16 PM EST
LaRue are the ONLY mounts I'll buy. I have 5 and love them all. GTG!
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:37:58 PM EST
I have a vortex in a la rue mount.

Originally the scope was to be a place holder but im liking it
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:49:16 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/28/2013 10:50:19 PM EST by SirSqueeboo]
I'm going to bypass the koolaid and ask the outlandish question of do you need a QD mount? How about don't blow $270 on his mount, save a ton of money with quality rings, and save the remainder towards funding a new scope.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 11:02:24 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/28/2013 11:04:43 PM EST by aircaptain9]
Originally Posted By SirSqueeboo:
I'm going to bypass the koolaid and ask the outlandish question of do you need a QD mount? How about don't blow $270 on his mount, save a ton of money with quality rings, and save the remainder towards funding a new scope.
View Quote

I forgot to put that rather important bit in the OP. I do plan on switching the scope between two rifles. A QD mount would make this much easier.

Edit: It doesn't necessarily have to be a LaRue mount, it's just that the reviews are overwhelmingly positive for them. I'm open to other suggestions.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 12:21:04 AM EST

I forgot to put that rather important bit in the OP. I do plan on switching the scope between two rifles. A QD mount would make this much easier.

Edit: It doesn't necessarily have to be a LaRue mount, it's just that the reviews are overwhelmingly positive for them. I'm open to other suggestions.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SirSqueeboo:

OK, well then I too recommend the LT mount.
Top Top