Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2004 5:29:51 PM EDT

Caught in Gulf of Mexico about a mile offshore (Alabama coast) One of about six I caught today.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:30:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Lemon?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:31:21 PM EDT
[#2]
so did you eat it?

BTW some one needs to photoshop stalin in to this
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:31:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:31:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice Cobia !
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:32:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't let it out into the yard without a leash, or you will be sorry.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:32:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:32:22 PM EDT
[#7]
black tip or mako?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:33:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
black tip or mako?

Nevermind...6 ling lings in a day is good.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:34:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks like your having fun.   Cool!!!

Watch your nuts when he turns around.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:34:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
black tip or mako?

Nevermind...6 ling lings in a day is good.

No wait...dorsel fin..sharks, waht were they?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:35:48 PM EDT
[#11]
let me guess you lost all of your guns in the fishing trip right???
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:37:11 PM EDT
[#12]
About 4 years ago I caught 3 off of  mexico beach, not too far down the road from where you were.  Small quiet fishing spot.  Not too many hotels, so you have to stay in a crappy motel, but it adds to the experience.  Hope you didnt keep all those in the boat at the same time if you kept them.  What is it two or three is the max.  
I hit them on the back of the head to stun them, then cut their heads off.  Really good eating.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:37:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I was expecting (hoping for) another CMP Garand pic!  

Nice catch though!  
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:37:36 PM EDT
[#14]
That's not a cobia. I was joking.

CRC
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:37:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:41:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Guys this is a SHARK and Mako is correct. I also got some Black Tips. Was waiting on a Bull, but never came along.....

Didn't bring any guns today, though I could have used it to slow these guys down some. If you look, I am holding him way out from my body, you can never be too careful when a Shark is onboard.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:42:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:42:27 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Guys this is a SHARK and Mako is correct. I also got some Black Tips. Was waiting on a Bull, but never came along.....

Didn't bring any guns today, though I could have used it to slow these guys down some. If you look, I am holding him way out from my body, you can never be too careful when a Shark is onboard.

That is a great barracuda.

I've done enough saltwater fishing to know.

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:45:31 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is a great barracuda.

I've done enough saltwater fishing to know.

ummm
barracuda
www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/Gallery/Descript/GreatBarracuda/GreatBarracuda.html
lemon shark
www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/Gallery/Descript/LemonShark/LemonShark.html
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:45:38 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Awesome!  I've had Mako caught off the coast here.  They're great eating.  Did you keep any?

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:45:41 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
About 4 years ago I caught 3 off of  mexico beach, not too far down the road from where you were.  Small quiet fishing spot.  Not too many hotels, so you have to stay in a crappy motel, but it adds to the experience.  Hope you didnt keep all those in the boat at the same time if you kept them.  What is it two or three is the max.  
I hit them on the back of the head to stun them, then cut their heads off.  Really good eating.

I only kept one, I think it was this one in the photo but maybe it was another bigger one. Not much bigger though.

I didn't know if yall were kidding or not about what it was. Most of yall are land locked ya know
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:46:21 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
so did you eat it?

BTW some one needs to photoshop stalin in to this

I don't get it
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:49:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Okay so it is a greater amberjack.

Silly me.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:50:17 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
MMMMMMM MMMMM GOOOOOOD!!

That your boat? I need a vacation and a guide

Yes but you need a REAL guide if you are gonna travel down for a trip. I can get you a number of a few good ones.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:52:37 PM EDT
[#25]

Oh, the shark, babe, has such teeth, dear
And it shows them pearly white
Just a jackknife has old MacHeath, babe
And he keeps it, ah, out of sight
Ya know when that shark bites with his teeth, babe
Scarlet billows start to spread
Fancy gloves, oh, wears old MacHeath, babe
So there’s never, never a trace of red

Now on the sidewalk, huh, huh, whoo sunny morning, un huh
Lies a body just oozin' life, eek
And someone’s sneakin' ‘round the corner
Could that someone be Mack the Knife?

There's a tugboat, huh, huh, down by the river dontcha know
Where a cement bag’s just a'drooppin' on down
Oh, that cement is just, it's there for the weight, dear
Five'll get ya ten old Macky’s back in town
Now d'ja hear ‘bout Louie Miller? He disappeared, babe
After drawin' out all his hard-earned cash
And now MacHeath spends just like a sailor
Could it be our boy's done somethin' rash?

Now Jenny Diver, ho, ho, yeah, Sukey Tawdry
Ooh, Miss Lotte Lenya and old Lucy Brown
Oh, the line forms on the right, babe
Now that Macky’s back in town

I said Jenny Diver, whoa, Sukey Tawdry
Look out to Miss Lotte Lenya and old Lucy Brown
Yes, that line forms on the right, babe
Now that Macky’s back in town
Look out, old Macky's back!!

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:53:30 PM EDT
[#26]
ummm

Looks like a lemon too dosen't it. Hell maybe it is, like I said I am an Amature for sure.
barracuda
www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/Gallery/Descript/GreatBarracuda/GreatBarracuda.html
lemon shark
www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/Gallery/Descript/LemonShark/LemonShark.html
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:56:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:57:16 PM EDT
[#28]
that's a big perch.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:57:23 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I knew it..thats my backyard your playing in.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:59:39 PM EDT
[#30]
very nice! looks like fun!
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:00:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:03:36 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
my parents have a big place in orange beach. I have my own little black book if you have loran. growing up i worked the local marinas and deckhanded on several charter boats. Skippers get loose tounges when they drink

I have a GPS no loran so I don't think they will work. But I have plenty of numbers. Thats not my problem, catching fish is my problem. This was originally a Bull Red trip, "Dixie Bar" that turned into a Dauphin watching trip, then I hooked a Tarpin that jumped once and spit out the hook(Line too small anyway) then on the Dauphin Island side (or east side) of Sand Island, the sharks started swarming. Thats when the fun started. We started throwing out dead croakers and then dropped a line.......
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:05:30 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I knew it..thats my backyard your playing in.

I really like your/our backyard
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:08:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Goofing aside that looks like a lemon shark.

Doesn't look like a shortfin mako.

CRC
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:10:23 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Goofing aside that looks like a lemon shark.

Doesn't look like a shortfin mako.

CRC

I don't really know so I bet you are correct.  Are they good eating?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:11:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Sharks aren't common anymore.

I go shark fishing but never keep them.

I wouldn't bother keeping a shark unless you caught a monster like a 1000 pound tiger shark.

It used to be you could shoot sharks with rifles they were so common or so I was told.

The only shark worth eating is the shortfin and longfin makos.  They are offshore.

CRC
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:14:19 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
that's a big perch.

It's a damn stripped bass.

Land Lubbers!!!

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:21:03 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
my parents have a big place in orange beach. I have my own little black book if you have loran. growing up i worked the local marinas and deckhanded on several charter boats. Skippers get loose tounges when they drink

I have a GPS no loran so I don't think they will work. But I have plenty of numbers. Thats not my problem, catching fish is my problem. This was originally a Bull Red trip, "Dixie Bar" that turned into a Dauphin watching trip, then I hooked a Tarpin that jumped once and spit out the hook(Line too small anyway) then on the Dauphin Island side (or east side) of Sand Island, the sharks started swarming. Thats when the fun started. We started throwing out dead croakers and then dropped a line.......

My dad had a little black book also...everything moved after Opal. 27 years of hunting down underwater structures was gone in  a day. Fortunately we have 2 charter capn's who are friends, they found some piled up reefs that are rich with fish. There is one south of P-city that is the size of a mall. It caught everything from the hurricane movement and made an incredible reef.

If you ever go bill fishing remember Desoto canyon is your destination..and run parallel to it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:01:57 PM EDT
[#39]
How big a fish tank do you have? It would be a hit at parties...
S.O.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:07:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Goddamn!!!!! I miss ocean fishing
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 12:31:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Mobile Bay has gotten more and more shallower over the years, and both Dauphin and Sand islands are moving and shrinking as well due to storms. Thanks God for bottom readers and GPS!

Speaking of storms, I hope Ivan can't find Mobile.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 12:32:42 PM EDT
[#42]
NICE!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top