Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2003 7:07:15 AM EDT
'50-Cal' Gun Ban Moves Forward

Police Commission Votes To Ban .50-Caliber Guns

May 28, 2003 1:33 pm US/Pacific
LOS ANGELES (AP) The Police Commission voted unanimously to ban the sale of .50-caliber guns.

The move Tuesday was the latest in a series of gun control actions taken in the city that previously enacted bans on the sale of assault weapons, "Saturday night special" handguns and high-capacity ammunition clips.

Last year, City Council members directed City Attorney Rocky Delgadillo to draft an ordinance to ban the sale and civilian possession of .50-caliber rifles. The proposed law would also outlaw the sale of the new Model 500 pistol introduced by Smith & Wesson.

The large, high-powered weapons can pierce concrete from more than 400 yards away.

Police could not cite any instances in which the guns have been used to commit crimes in the city. Still, Chief William J. Bratton strongly supports the ban, which will now be considered by the City Council.

John Burtt, chairman of the Fifty-Caliber Shooters Policy Institute, said the ordinance is the latest effort to demonize a weapon typically used by target shooters and big-game hunters.

A similar proposal to ban the weapons was defeated in the state Legislature last year.

(© 2003 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved)
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:17:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Rocky Delgadillo is a republican.  Wonder if he's just following Caliban orders, or supports the ban.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:28:22 AM EDT
[#2]
"The large, high-powered weapons can pierce concrete from more than 400 yards away."

My .22 rifle can pierce concrete too.  IT DEPENDS ON HOW THICK THE CONCRETE IS!!!

Perfect example of making a completely meaningless statement that scare ignorant people into supporting something.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:44:47 AM EDT
[#3]
If something has the potential to be remotely amusing, expect Lost Angeles to ban it. Sex will be next on their list, folks..

I'm hoping they'll ban themselves inadvertently, and vanish with a tiny, near silent "pop" allowing the rest of us to go on our way..

Meplat-
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:48:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
"The large, high-powered weapons can pierce concrete from more than 400 yards away."

My .22 rifle can pierce concrete too.  IT DEPENDS ON HOW THICK THE CONCRETE IS!!!

Perfect example of making a completely meaningless statement that scare ignorant people into supporting something.
View Quote

ban pick axes...  it's for the children.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:57:52 AM EDT
[#5]
The city of San Francisco's ordinance banning possession of "assault weapons" was found to be unconstitutional because it pre-empted state law.  And a statewide 50-cal ban may be imminent.  Why is the LACC even bothering with this?  Are they really that dumb?
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 9:56:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Rocky Delgadillo is a republican.
View Quote

It is about time that other republicans were following the president's lead in using the gun safety as an issue to take away gun control support from the democrats. It is nothing short of brilliant and should be emulated by the GOP all across the country!
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:12:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Wonder if they will confiscate or grandfather them as with AW's.  

Let's encourage them to confiscate, right Imbroglio!
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:14:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

My truck can pierce a concreate wall at almost any distance, and it is guided.

I hate that fukin state, if i didn't have family there i'd wish it to fall in the ocean.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:18:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The city of San Francisco's ordinance banning possession of "assault weapons" was found to be unconstitutional because it pre-empted state law.  And a statewide 50-cal ban may be imminent.  Why is the LACC even bothering with this?  Are they really that dumb?
View Quote

They're banning the sale of them.  Thats easy.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 12:57:52 AM EDT
[#10]
rocky a republican???? HA!
when did that happen?
if so its prolly in name only, cuz he couldnt run as a dem against another dem.
thats how la county supervisor bitch braithwait-burke got her seat, ran a repub then switched to dem.

dennis zine is former LAPD, claims to be pro-gun MRA member, but votes to ban 50s.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:35:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

They're banning the sale of them.  Thats easy.
View Quote

Those folks have nothing else better to do. They need some favorable publicity, because when they pass the next city budget, its going to be real interesting. Now that they don't ANY high-up friends in the Federal govt, and Grey(out) Davis is having problems of his own, they need something that they can crow about. All these years of them giving away money faster than I can earn it is coming to an head, and there ain't no more where that came from.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:10:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Los Awholés - City of Assholés
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top