Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/3/2001 7:55:33 PM EDT
The L.A. City council failed to pass a total ammo sales ban, but voted a high-power ammo sales ban, and apparently an annual background check to buy ammo.  I haven't been able to get any details of the proposals as voted, so what constitutes high-power I can't say at the moment.  I just watched the jerks vote on City Access TV.  Hal Bernson appears to one of two Councilpersons who voted against anything at all , with Sorvitch (I'm not sure exactly what his/her name is or which district, but he voted no on all their proposals and needs to be kept on the council as the only total 2nd supporter.
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 8:00:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Isn't it strange that guys with bodyguards vote to take weapon rights away?
I guess not.
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 8:07:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I am truly blessed not to live in KALI !
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 8:36:20 PM EDT
[#3]
have they considered 22 Lr hi power too.
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 8:47:24 PM EDT
[#4]
7 out of the 9 council members are dipshits.

Link Posted: 4/3/2001 9:23:15 PM EDT
[#5]
WHATS HI-POWER? WHAT EVER THEY SAY IT IS?
Link Posted: 4/4/2001 1:06:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like only .22's will be available.

For now....
Link Posted: 4/4/2001 1:11:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
7 out of the 9 council members are dipshits.

View Quote

7 out of 9 Californians are dipshits.  (No offense to the other 2.)
Link Posted: 4/4/2001 2:55:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The L.A. City council failed to pass a total ammo sales ban, but voted a high-power ammo sales ban, and apparently an annual background check to buy ammo.  I haven't been able to get any details of the proposals as voted, so what constitutes high-power I can't say at the moment.  I just watched the jerks vote on City Access TV.  Hal Bernson appears to one of two Councilpersons who voted against anything at all , with Sorvitch (I'm not sure exactly what his/her name is or which district, but he voted no on all their proposals and needs to be kept on the council as the only total 2nd supporter.
View Quote

Like I said a thousand times before, "it will not stop until the men in cali show some balls and stop it," these tyrants only do it because they know they can get away with it, because of silent consent!

Yes, I'm in Florida, but Floridians are in the face of would be tyrants here at home.

Go to http://www.fsdf.org/martial_law.htm
Link Posted: 4/4/2001 3:56:55 AM EDT
[#9]
I have to disagree with the guy from Florida. I love your state it is wonderful but. The people in cali that are gunners can stand up all they want they are in the minority. It is not there fault. There is a very big liberal mentality just like in my home state of NY. We fight all we want. We vote in a progun Governor and what does he do. Turns to be an anti gunner cause he knows to keep his job he has to be liberal to a certain point and guns are a hot topic. When you are out numbered you can fight all you want but you will loose. Florida is that type of state that can change cause you have a lot of liberal northeners moving down and they are used to gun control. They vote democratic. In years to come you will see Florida change to a not so pro gun state. I hope it doesn't happen cause I would like to live there or Texas but if Florida turns anti Texas will take the cake.
Link Posted: 4/4/2001 4:13:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Bet those Korean store owners dont comply with this one....when the economy goes completly in the dumper and the lights go out...and they ban ammo...that is just about the lowest thing I can think of some leaders...of course they have theirs
Link Posted: 4/4/2001 6:17:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Wow, the brilliant LA city council just ended all robberies and gang warfare just like that with the stroke of a pen!  Let's re-name some streets after these wise saviors of society!
Link Posted: 4/4/2001 6:29:00 AM EDT
[#12]
I don't remember the  numbers but 22's probably kill or injure about as many or more than the others. Every body should know the TRUTH--Its what is in the head and heart not in the hand or type of ammo used that that realy kills!!!!
Link Posted: 4/4/2001 8:07:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have to disagree with the guy from Florida. I love your state it is wonderful but. The people in cali that are gunners can stand up all they want they are in the minority. It is not there fault. There is a very big liberal mentality just like in my home state of NY. We fight all we want. We vote in a progun Governor and what does he do. Turns to be an anti gunner cause he knows to keep his job he has to be liberal to a certain point and guns are a hot topic. When you are out numbered you can fight all you want but you will loose. Florida is that type of state that can change cause you have a lot of liberal northeners moving down and they are used to gun control. They vote democratic. In years to come you will see Florida change to a not so pro gun state. I hope it doesn't happen cause I would like to live there or Texas but if Florida turns anti Texas will take the cake.
View Quote

Your point that gunowners are a minority is invalid, here is why, because only 3% of the population rose up against the King, in the early days and our nation was formed!
Link Posted: 4/4/2001 8:22:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Andreusan,

California gun owners do voice their objections, but to no avail.  Over half the population of the state either grew up under repressive governments, or have family still living under repressive goverments.  To them that is normal and as long as they can do what they like without any involvement with the government they don't care what or who runs the government.  Gun control talk gets publicity for politicians better than any other topic, the politicians know it, and they will continue to demand more gun control as long as the press will give them airtime, and that includes all the states.  Even the conservative citizens in California tend to be anti-gun.  What's funny is that, if this law is the same as they wanted to do in the past (I still can't find an info yet), mail-order ammo sales are fine, and you can also go to any of the surrounding communities and buy ammo, although for a county with 10 million in population, L.A. County only has a handful of gun dealers, and they have gouged gunowners for at least 15 years now.  Elections are less than a week away, and in the last week the Pocket Rocket (under 6.75" in length) handgun ban and the ammo ban have been passed.  I'm praying for civil-disturbances when the power is turned off in the heat of this summer.  The Rodney King riots stopped the gun-control movement for years, and more disturbances would do the same thing today.  It's not the gun owners who fail to do anything, it's the rest of the population that don't care about anything and don't think about anything.  The people of this state would line-up for the ovens without a peep.
Link Posted: 4/4/2001 10:48:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Finally, from the Los Angeles Daily News, I find the oxymoronic definition of high-power ammunition.

"The Council action banned bullets defined as 'designed to inflict great bodily trauma or made primarily for offensive purposes,' including those greater than .46 caliber, fragmentation bullets and those with hard 'penetrants' that allow them to pass through walls and doors."

Gee, I thougt fragmentation bullets were designed to not go through walls and doors.  So effectively this bans only police using frangible bullets to avoid overpenetration.

The best comment in the article is from Nate Holden, an anti-gun Councilman, who supported the partial ban and said he was worried that the total ban on ammunition sales would begin infringing too deeply on citizen's rights!
Link Posted: 4/4/2001 10:52:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Well kalidiots, the british have just formed a line on Lexington Green. Will you defend the honor all of those that fought and died these last 224 years for your freedoms or will you just run away as usual?
Link Posted: 4/4/2001 10:55:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Why would any self respecting gun owner live within the city limits of LA anyway?
Link Posted: 4/4/2001 11:12:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Why would any self respecting gun owner live within the city limits of LA anyway?
View Quote

There's quite a few gun owners in L.A.  Just 10's of years ago there was the Santa Monica Gun Club, with many of the old movie stars as members.  One of the largest and active NRA councils are located there, [url]www.calnra.org[/url]
Link Posted: 4/4/2001 11:15:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
There's quite a few gun owners in L.A.  Just 10's of years ago there was the Santa Monica Gun Club
View Quote

If it was located in the city of LA why was it called the "Santa Monica gun club"? Are you sure it wasnt locatedin the city of Santa Monica?
Link Posted: 4/4/2001 11:18:32 AM EDT
[#20]
I am glad I live in NC
Link Posted: 4/4/2001 11:22:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Citizens of Kali:

You better do something before all your rights go the way of the dodo.

Link Posted: 4/4/2001 11:34:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Andreusan,

California gun owners do voice their objections, but to no avail.  Over half the population of the state either grew up under repressive governments, or have family still living under repressive goverments.  To them that is normal and as long as they can do what they like without any involvement with the government they don't care what or who runs the government.  Gun control talk gets publicity for politicians better than any other topic, the politicians know it, and they will continue to demand more gun control as long as the press will give them airtime, and that includes all the states.  Even the conservative citizens in California tend to be anti-gun.  What's funny is that, if this law is the same as they wanted to do in the past (I still can't find an info yet), mail-order ammo sales are fine, and you can also go to any of the surrounding communities and buy ammo, although for a county with 10 million in population, L.A. County only has a handful of gun dealers, and they have gouged gunowners for at least 15 years now.  Elections are less than a week away, and in the last week the Pocket Rocket (under 6.75" in length) handgun ban and the ammo ban have been passed.  I'm praying for civil-disturbances when the power is turned off in the heat of this summer.  The Rodney King riots stopped the gun-control movement for years, and more disturbances would do the same thing today.  It's not the gun owners who fail to do anything, it's the rest of the population that don't care about anything and don't think about anything.  The people of this state would line-up for the ovens without a peep.
View Quote

I am concerned of what the future holds for us all! You are right about the general population which are in a complacent stuper.

My prayers are with all of you!
Link Posted: 4/4/2001 12:20:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By William Tell:
I am truly blessed not to live in KALI !
View Quote

[b] AMEN, BROTHER![/b] [:(] milldude
Link Posted: 4/4/2001 1:32:33 PM EDT
[#24]
first, what the hell is high power? .223, 7.62x39? if so thats bullshit, well its all shit anyway.

if you guys in Kali stage a Kali armed revelution i will personally come down there and fight the fight.
Link Posted: 4/4/2001 1:43:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Finally, from the Los Angeles Daily News, I find the oxymoronic definition of high-power ammunition.

"The Council action banned bullets defined as 'designed to inflict great bodily trauma or made primarily for offensive purposes,' including those greater than .46 caliber, fragmentation bullets and those with hard 'penetrants' that allow them to pass through walls and doors."

View Quote

That means all HP, Glasers, Magsafes and FMJs. Well gee what is left rubber bullets? Oh and let me guess, law enforcement is exempt.
Link Posted: 4/4/2001 4:52:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Chaingun,

Actually www.calnra.org is the website for the Northern San Diego County NRA Member's Council, and despite their name they are not affiliated with the NRA, and the NRA is not necessarily happy with their viewpoint and actions.  There are a number of NRA Member Councils in California who are the grassroots (livin' for today) of pro-gun activity here.  Every gun owner across the United Snakes should check the site on a daily basis.
Link Posted: 4/4/2001 4:57:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Bolt,

The "Pocket Rocket" handgun ban is for overall length of less than 4.75".
Link Posted: 4/4/2001 5:23:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Hi power,50cal I might see. Things are getting real ugly for shooters!
Link Posted: 4/4/2001 5:43:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Eventually there will be unintended consequences to tyranny in government.  This is why the milita movement sprang up after Clinton was elected.  Unfortunately Tim McVeigh played into the government's hands and gave them all the fodder they need to manipulate the minds of the ignorant against citizens standing up to government abuse.  Now the people can't organize without being branded as a terrorist threat. That opens the door for government to be proactive against those who believe as we do.  Will only get worse and spread to the other states via the Federal government.  They are already sending undercover agents into Arizona to make straw-man gun purchases, purchases with fake ID's, etc., to "prove" that the state can't be trusted with the people's safety and we need more Federal control of firearms.  Abuse of civil liberties, property siezures, excessive taxation, ex-post facto laws, bills of attainder, on and on, it won't end until these bastards pay a price individually.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2001 5:58:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Wonderful.  Now every gun show in Del Mar will be overrun with Angelinos coming down to stock up on whatever they "banned" in LA.
Link Posted: 4/4/2001 6:01:14 PM EDT
[#31]
It's all good fun to knock California and I do it myself.  But, California is an incredible state.  If you start driving north at the Mexican border at Tijuana and keep going until you hit Oregon, you've gone 1000 miles, and the width of California (at the widest) is about 300 miles.  Within those confines is the most incredible diversity of nature, from the deserts of the south to the highest and lowest points in the US, Mt. Whitney and Death Valley, and they are only about 50 miles apart as the Condor flies.  In between the great Sierra mountains and the Coast Range is the San Joaquin Valley, the fruitbasket of the nation.  Mammoth Lakes, 20 minutes from Yosemite, not only has great skiing in the winter but is an Alpine heaven in the summer.  It's also the site of Long Valley, a 10 by 20 mile caldera from the largest volcanic explosion in history (from what I've read) which coated the entire North American continent in ash when it blew 600,000 years ago.  Then you have the Sequoia forests and the Redwood forests and Mt. Shasta and the 1000 miles of coastline and the forests all over and on and on and on.  The world migrated to the United States, and the United States migrated to California.  It's not hard to imagine why people would come here.

The problem is the megapolis of L.A., which runs for about 200 miles of city sprawl from Ventura to the Mexican border and is about 100 miles wide at the maximum point, and the much worse (in my opinion) megapolis of the San Francisco Bay Area, since it is more confined.  I know a cop in Maryland who patrols a 640 square mile hunk by himself.  The city of L.A. is 487 square miles with four million, and L.A. County (incluing the city) has about 750 square miles with 10 million, and it takes tens of thousands of cops to cover the same territory.  My parents moved to L.A. when I was five in 1956, and until the 80s it was a gun-friendly territory.  There were plenty of controlled ranges and uncontrolled places to shoot even within the city, and there were gunstores all over the place.  Half the high schools in the LAUSD still have indoor shooting ranges, although they haven't been used for a long time now.  There might not be as many places to shoot today, but the citizens of all races and nationalities are at the range shooting away with our now minority of honkies, and they don't like the repression of their 2nd Amendment guaranteed birthright any more than we do.
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 12:58:09 AM EDT
[#32]
la city couuncil can ban all the guns and ammo they want -- wont change a damn thing.
and it wont hurt gun owners, it WILL hurt gun businesses, there are actually very few gun shops in the city of la now.
i can drive 10 min in 3 directions and be in a independent city where the la city council holds ZERO power.
ive never bought any gun related item from a store in la city, most of my purchases are in gun shops in small cities or even in different counties.
for the person who is fearful that angelinos will travel down to del mar to buy stuff, what the hell is wrong with that ??? the dealers and show promoters sure are NOT complaining, the more business the show gets the less of a chance it will become extinct. what makes you think that angelinos havent been going down to the del mar gun show for YEARS? some of those dealers are from the city of LA.
and those that dont want to drive the 100+ miles to SD can simply drive down to costa mesa or ventura gun shows.

my personal thoughts are that LA city will become like DC and NY in a few years, it doesnt really bother me, we will see the crime sky rocket, ill just keep buying guns and ammo in small cities that want my business.
when LA County tries to pull this sh*t then we got something to worry about, but i havent seen any kind of move there yet.
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 10:04:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Until you all get rid of zev "ban the great western gun show" yaroslavsky, gloria molina, and yvonne burke from the county board of supervisors, then you should worry.
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 1:12:48 PM EDT
[#34]
LA is a joke, like the Kali legislature. damn glad i don't live there.
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 7:29:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Don't worry.  The A.G. swore an oath to uphold the law and there is a state preemption law, so he is prolly gonna fight the local law in court like he did all the local restrictions that were passed since he took office.

Now 'scuse me while I go puke.
[size=4][red]P.R.K.
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 7:55:28 PM EDT
[#36]
[:o]    This stuff bothers me alot.  I finally got bothered enough to move away from Kali, (1993) into a state where the atmosphere was a little more friendly.  Still we have had to fight a lot of crap here on the local level.  (Next it is the PTA getting petitions signed to ban CCW on any school sights.  This will only announce to the BGs where they can go shoot up society and not be faced with a firearm.)
 Another thing, I have watched over the years how often something that starts in Kali is taken by other city and state governments and placed in to law.  We all need to be concerned about this and help in any way we can.  To many of us bitch about Kali and think we are safe!  [x]
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 8:38:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Consider the race for L.A. Mayor, the anti-gun democrats are leading in that race, not like there's a pro-gun voice anyway, for that matter. Police chief Willie Williams and now Bernard Parks are anti-gun rights and liberal types who don't even command respect from their troops. Look also at the city councils and political officers in all big cities, not only in California, but everywhere. The trend is to appeal to the urban mindset who hear a constant barrage of anti-gun media and fear mongering by television news and network programming (Fox's "COPS", "DATELINE", "AMERICA'S MOST WANTED" et.al.) while suburbanites are fed fear of gang encroachment and school shootings. No wonder this is happening.
 Jim Hahn, who is leading the L.A. Mayoral race scored big points by coming out against gun makers when it was fashionable, after Big Tobacco lost in court, did it only because he was planning to run for Mayor. I believe this helped define him as someone who cares about making the city safer to the sheeple of LA. Here's a link to his Op-Ed piece on the subject.
[url]http://www.jimhahn.org/news/a-1999-05-30.asp[/url]
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 9:40:56 PM EDT
[#38]
I lovvve LA.... Santa Monica Boulevard!.. I love it!

... Santa Monica Gun Club? ... Just a guess.
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 10:04:32 PM EDT
[#39]
I don't care how "pretty" that state is...  it still makes me   [puke]
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 10:32:17 PM EDT
[#40]
I just got back from the bars, I'm a college student, and I'm drunk as all hell, so plz excuse my ignorance.  We all complain about this, that, and the other thing (me included).  I was wondering, are their any pro gun people "trolling" their way into socialist state governments or the BATF and twist the hell out of it from the inside?  Is this subversive enough to be considered communist by nature?  Clearly, as the country has become more and more over run by democrats, we have become the marginalized group, and no one is listening to us.  How bad do y'all think its gonna get before we make an attempt to do something from the inside? (I'm not talking about voting b/c no politician is going to listen to us, you really think Dubya is going to let the AW ban sunset?  There goes his re-election right there.)  I figure the sheeple of America are so damn ignorant that if shit isn't done on a political platfrom they will never know, or if people of our pursuasion got control of the government for a while perhaps we could influence the media eventually (like Clinton---fight fire with fire), which might show the public the light and solve some problems.  The last sentence now reverts back to my ignorance disclaimer b/c I beleive that WE have all the answers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top