Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/1/2007 8:01:52 PM EDT
LMT 16" upper (This Upper)

With this LMT  Enhanced bolt Assembly (Bolt Assembly)

And finally this LMT defender 2000 Lower w/the Stage 2 NM trigger packge (Lower)

LMT Rifle comes to a Total of $1,200        (if I get the Standard bolt assembly it's only $1,044 but I figure if im Spending the money should get the Beefed up one)

SHOULD I BUILD IT for $1,044 - $1,200 ???

EDIT: With Standard trigger and Bolt My new Total Comes to $949.00
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 8:03:52 PM EDT
[#1]
DO IT!!
Sounds exactly like the one I'm building. I got the lower in and I'm trying to figure out what crap I want hanging off the upper.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 8:07:42 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
DO IT!!
Sounds exactly like the one I'm building. I got the lower in and I'm trying to figure out what crap I want hanging off the upper.

Hell yeah... I'll end up FF quad railing it and putting all kind's of goodies on it...

But its the same principle behinid all the other builds I priced up...

IT was between a build like that and a Gas Piston LWRC or POF.. BUt ill wait till next AR

I just sold my M&P 15 to fund this LMT build... was between LMT/Sabre Defense/RRA but I guess LMT takes the cake according to everyone on ARFCOM.

So this will be LMT and next one Ill try to build a LWRC upper Gas pistion AR

I kept my budget at 1,200 tho... I still got money for LaRue Mount and Aimpoint... not decided one a Quad Rail though... too many to pick from.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 8:09:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Skip the enhanced bolt
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 8:16:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Skip the enhanced bolt

+1

There is nothing wrong with the standard bolt group.

Link Posted: 10/1/2007 8:20:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Skip the enhanced bolt

+1

Think so??? even the longevity of it???

Should I still expcet the same service life with the standard Bolt.

I know LMT stuff is really good anyway so is it safe to assume the standard will be anything but standard and superb compared to most other Bolt assembly's???
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 8:23:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I love how people say don't build it but don't explain why I shouldn't...

Probably jealous they aren't building an LMT rifle???
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 8:24:40 PM EDT
[#7]
What happened to the Sabre you wanted?  Just buy something.
You're over thinking this.  It isn't life and death.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 8:25:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Skip the enhanced bolt

Yup.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 8:29:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Skip the enhanced bolt

I would also avoid the 2-stage trigger.. if you want one you can always add one later, and its unnecessary on a battle carbine.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 8:29:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
What happened to the Sabre you wanted?  Just buy something.
You're over thinking this.  It isn't life and death.

Well The LMT is just a tiny bit more with better parts.. the Sabre I priced up had RRA parts in it and RRA Bolt carrier assembly.

So for the extra 130 bucks I get all LMT stuff with a 2 stage NM trigger and the LMT enhanced Bolt carrier assembly...

Alotta people say LMT is top knotch for DI AR's...

So I figure why waste money on anything less... I want this to be my best AR...

LMT is good would'nt you agree?
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 8:29:46 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Skip the enhanced bolt

Yup.

And I would even say skip the 2 stage trigger.  That is just personal preferance on my part.

That said, with the standard bolt and standard trigger, go for it!!!!

-Ben
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 8:31:00 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Skip the enhanced bolt

I would also avoid the 2-stage trigger.. if you want one you can always add one later, and its unnecessary on a battle carbine.

What exactly do you mean??? because yes Im making a carbine with battle conditions in mind when I think of its purpose... so the 2 stage is'nt worth it??? I'd just hate to want it later and have wasted money on the regular up front.

Appreciate the input though
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 8:31:32 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Skip the enhanced bolt

Yup.

And I would even say skip the 2 stage trigger.  That is just personal preferance on my part.

That said, with the standard bolt and standard trigger, go for it!!!!

-Ben

Appreciate it
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 8:36:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Well I'm off to sleep... Hope I come to a conclusion after sleeping on it...

This AR build is corrupting my mind
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 8:40:02 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Well I'm off to sleep... Hope I come to a conclusion after sleeping on it...

This AR build is corrupting my mind

Yes, sleeping on it is a good plan.   When you wake up, determine to build it the way I suggested it, then if you don't like it build another one the other way(s) and buy an LMT M203 to go with this first one to fix any shortcomings you might feel my way has.

AKA get both (+1 M203)

-Ben
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 10:29:34 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Skip the enhanced bolt

enhanced bolt is much much easier to clean... but maybe with your upper you might nto have as much fouling.. I like the enhanced bolt alot on mine. I wouldnt waste the money on the trigger as the stock one is ok.

i177.photobucket.com/albums/w233/USP_2007/IMG_0043.jpg

Theres nothing that gets really that dirty on the BCG.  All you need is a wipedown with some CLP or your favorite dissolver(brake cleaner) and the shit just washes away.

Is it being just a little easier to clean worth $150?
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 3:03:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Two years ago Quantico arms had to send back over 30 LMTs after they were returned by folks who found several problems with them. Call Walter on weekends and ask him about it just for fun. The guys at Northern Virginia Gun Works had to fix a number of the LMT uppers just like the one you want. There were burrs on the edge of the chamber that gouged the round while loading. Then there was the problem of misfeed from an open bolt. After you work these problems out you get a nice gun. The point here is that there is not a gun out there that at times is problem free. I even saw a FTF with a Vepr several years ago. You might be better off with their MRP upper. Good luck and post the final build as we like pictures here.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 12:43:19 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Skip the enhanced bolt

enhanced bolt is much much easier to clean... but maybe with your upper you might nto have as much fouling.. I like the enhanced bolt alot on mine. I wouldnt waste the money on the trigger as the stock one is ok.

i177.photobucket.com/albums/w233/USP_2007/IMG_0043.jpg

Theres nothing that gets really that dirty on the BCG.  All you need is a wipedown with some CLP or your favorite dissolver(brake cleaner) and the shit just washes away.

Is it being just a little easier to clean worth $150?

LMT has two parts..the enhanced Bolt and the Enhanced Carrier Group (which you dont use on SBRs) I have the enhanced Bolt. It makes a major difference having the nickel coating on it for cleaning. With the SBR carbon deposits are a problem.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 3:38:26 PM EDT
[#19]
IMHO:

Have a good Free Float Quad rail installed, I recommend Larue or DD.

I also recommend a standard trigger, if you had a precision rifle, then get a Geissele.  So standard trigger with SOPMOD stock.

I would use a standard bolt, and enhanced carrier.  Or just go with a diamond bond coated BCG from MSTN.

Oh, and good choice picking parts from Rainer Arms, I like buying stuff from them.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 4:05:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeah but... I'm still trying to consider what is my best buy.... Everytime I decide on something some Nay sayer has to ruin it for me... but then again No matter how much someone/most people Like stuff... there is always one person who nay says on it... and will tell you it sucks...

Every major car manufacturer has had recalls at some point... does that mean every car they make sucks??? No...

So IDK... I'm still Between a Factory RRA (chrome lined with 2 stage trigger A4 upper for 800 shipped) or ... a sabre build or a LMT build...

I hear alot that LMT is Top Knotch shit... but the sabre people Nay say on them... and the LMT and sabre people both are raggin on RRA... So who Knows...

I want the best rifle I can afford... and IM willing to spend the money on a Saber or LMT... but with all this back and forth This sucks that sucks talk... Im thinking just get the factory RRA and have tons of money for a NICE FF quad rail Aimpoint and other goodies.... (Which I would get either way but jsut nice to save a few bucks)
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 4:26:00 PM EDT
[#21]
LMT makes good stuff... I could probably order you one for less depending one where in FL you are.

I'd skip the Enhanced bolt. The 2stg trigger is nice, but I wouldn't get it unless you are building some sort of uber varmint/match rifle.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 4:31:25 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
LMT makes good stuff... I could probably order you one for less depending one where in FL you are.

I'd skip the Enhanced bolt. The 2stg trigger is nice, but I wouldn't get it unless you are building some sort of uber varmint/match rifle.

Oh yeah??? that would be nice... I'm almost reconsidering ordering just the Factory RRA shipped from Pete at Legal Transfers for 769 With chrome lined barrel ad 35$ so actually $804 shipped because I want the chome line Barrel...  RRA CAR A4 Chrome Lined with Stage 2 NM trigger.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 4:49:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Why does this shit have to feel like a life or death decision ...

I sold my S&W M&P 15 to build a Better rifle .... and I'm almost considering just getting a Factory RRA...

I can't decide between RRA/LMT/Sabre Defense...

Sigh... Maybe I should buy all three That would take me a long time though

So which do I get first???.... Idk...  sigh...
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 4:51:07 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Skip the enhanced bolt

+1

I know LMT stuff is really good anyway so is it safe to assume the standard will be anything but standard and superb compared to most other Bolt assembly's???

Well, I guess if you are going to fight a war with it, shooting thousands upon thousands of rounds you might want to have a few spare parts for it.  The standard bolt in the M16A2 that I carried in Iraq, and thousands like it, have functioned fine.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 4:53:24 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Skip the enhanced bolt

What exactly do you mean??? because yes Im making a carbine with battle conditions in mind when I think of its purpose... so the 2 stage is'nt worth it??? I'd just hate to want it later and have wasted money on the regular up front.

Appreciate the input though

A two-stage match trigger in a combat rifle isn't safe.  Its for punching paper.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 4:54:06 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Skip the enhanced bolt

+1

Well, I guess if you are going to fight a war with it, shooting thousands upon thousands of rounds you might want to have a few spare parts for it.  The standard bolt in the M16A2 that I carried in Iraq, and thousands like it, have functioned fine.

True... I'm still having a decision to make... back to the whole RRA/LMT/SDI... it's driving me Nuts...
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 4:59:49 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Yeah but... I'm still trying to consider what is my best buy.... Everytime I decide on something some Nay sayer has to ruin it for me... but then again No matter how much someone/most people Like stuff... there is always one person who nay says on it... and will tell you it sucks...

Every major car manufacturer has had recalls at some point... does that mean every car they make sucks??? No...

So IDK... I'm still Between a Factory RRA (chrome lined with 2 stage trigger A4 upper for 800 shipped) or ... a sabre build or a LMT build...

I hear alot that LMT is Top Knotch shit... but the sabre people Nay say on them... and the LMT and sabre people both are raggin on RRA... So who Knows...

I want the best rifle I can afford... and IM willing to spend the money on a Saber or LMT... but with all this back and forth This sucks that sucks talk... Im thinking just get the factory RRA and have tons of money for a NICE FF quad rail Aimpoint and other goodies.... (Which I would get either way but jsut nice to save a few bucks)

Jesus, quit worrying about other people's opinions and build the goddamned rifle!

Next to Colt, LMT is the best IMHO.  Some will disagree, but my Colt 6920 is the best AR I've ever owned.  Go with the LMT and get it over with.  You will soon be amassing parts for your next build anyway.

BTW, S&W, RRA, Stag all use CMT parts and are essentially the same.  You don't want to have sold your S&W (a very nice AR in its own right) only to spend the money building an RRA which is essentially the same thing.

GET THE LMT AND BUILD IT!
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 5:06:37 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
A two-stage match trigger in a combat rifle isn't safe.  Its for punching paper.

Since when?  Didn't Garands and M14s have two-stage triggers?

To the OP, just buy something!!!
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 5:17:05 PM EDT
[#29]
I think LMT is some of the best equipment available. I would definately go with their enhanced carrier as it allows for better extraction and reduced recoil.

Personally I prefer to mix and match a little more. My idea of a perfect AR would include the LMT enhanced carrier, an MGI RRB (Rate reducing buffer), a Magpul MIAD full grip assembly and a rail system by LaRue.

If you really want the best spec out all the individual parts and have a quality builder put it together.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 5:21:44 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not match triggers.  We have enough NDs with standard triggers as it is.  A hair trigger on a combat rifle is fucking dangerous to the men around you.  Common sense...
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 5:26:07 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not match triggers.  We have enough NDs with standard triggers as it is.  A hair trigger on a combat rifle is fucking dangerous to the men around you.  Common sense...

Yeah, I know they didn't have match triggers.  Something tells me the OP won't be going to combat anytime soon.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 5:34:35 PM EDT
[#32]
My .02...

Skip the 16' in favor of a 14.5.  You'll want it a tad shorter later, I promise.

Keep the enhanced bolt & carrier.

Get the LMT lower without the 2-stage trigger but WITH the LMT SOPMOD stock.

Get all that and post pics.

Link Posted: 10/2/2007 5:37:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Well I can build the LMT and it comes with a Magpul CLR stock (which I want/prefer) and a MAID grip...

I think I'm going to skip out on the enhanced bolt carrier but by a secondary bolt (probably something chromed for easier cleaning and as a back up) but Idk bout the 2 stage trigger... I'd like to have a good trigger...

and my only other dilema is... the 1:7 twist barrel... some people saying that It won't shoot lower grain bullets (like 55-62) as well as the 1:9 and are only made for high grain... then others say the 1:7 is better over all period...

I have LOTS of 55 and 62 grains... I don't wanna get a rifle that can't shoot it well...

What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 5:46:55 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
My .02...

Skip the 16' in favor of a 14.5.  You'll want it a tad shorter later, I promise.

Yeah but is'nt 14.5 an SBR??? it does'nt say anything about the Flash supressor being permo on it making it 16"...

And why do you suggest the enhanced bolt carrier?
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 6:02:43 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My .02...

Yeah but is'nt 14.5 an SBR??? it does'nt say anything about the Flash supressor being permo on it making it 16"...

So get a Vortex permawelded on that puppy.

And as for the BC, because of the cool factor.  Because it's fun looking down on your friend's "unenhanced" bolt carriers.  Because it give you two points on your man card, one for knowing about it and another for having one.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 6:04:21 PM EDT
[#36]
It's a myth, 1:7 shoots 55gr fine.

BTW: Terminal velocity out of the 16" is better than out of the 14.5" plus a permaweld limits what you can do later (free float handguards, etc...)
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 6:10:21 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
My .02...

So get a Vortex permawelded on that puppy.

And as for the BC, because of the cool factor.  Because it's fun looking down on your friend's "unenhanced" bolt carriers.  Because it give you two points on your man card, one for knowing about it and another for having one.

WTF over...
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 6:15:36 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

BTW: Terminal velocity out of the 16" is better than out of the 14.5" plus a permaweld limits what you can do later (free float handguards, etc...)

My (limited) understanding was that the terminal difference between the two was negligible, and offset by the SUPERIOR balance & handling that the smaller 14.5 presented.

And nowadays with nifty things like Troy & KAC, taking off the front sight post for installs is for suckers.

Furthermore, how badly do you NEED a carbine to be floated?  And how much more do you NEED the extra 15 yards of the much hyped fragmentation range?

Wupdee doo, get the cooler shorter one.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 6:29:54 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My (limited) understanding was that the terminal difference between the two was negligible, and offset by the SUPERIOR balance & handling that the smaller 14.5 presented.

And nowadays with nifty things like Troy & KAC, taking off the front sight post for installs is for suckers.

Furthermore, how badly do you NEED a carbine to be floated?  And how much more do you NEED the extra 15 yards of the much hyped fragmentation range?

Wupdee doo, get the cooler shorter one.

Well, I guess if its just a "cool" toy to you...

Oh noes, I consider it a toy.  You take it too seriously.  For 90+% of us here they're just range toys anyway.  So what?

That being said, 14.5's make for cooler toys than 16's.

Fair enough.

I've owned both but now only have 16 inch carbines.  I like the idea of having options in the future.  I guess all it takes is a reciever block and a barrel wrench if you want to change later.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 6:35:51 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
*snip*

Fair enough.

I've owned both but now only have 16 inch carbines.  I like the idea of having options in the future.  I guess all it takes is a reciever block and a barrel wrench if you want to change later.

At one time I had 3 16' uppers, then I read a thread about how much better the balance was on a 14.5...then I handled one.  I just couldn't bear it any longer, I rid myself of all the 16s and never looked back.

*Shameless Plug/14.5 Pron*

ETA:  Now seeing a 16' with the M4 cuts on the barrel just irks me.  I dunno why.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 6:57:49 PM EDT
[#41]
The LMT is just about the best you could ever get. I say just about because anything can be improved upon.

Build it and don't worry about what others think.

I have been slowly building a LMT myself.

BigDozer66

Link Posted: 10/2/2007 7:29:28 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh yeah??? that would be nice... I'm almost reconsidering ordering just the Factory RRA shipped from Pete at Legal Transfers for 769 With chrome lined barrel ad 35$ so actually $804 shipped because I want the chome line Barrel...  RRA CAR A4 Chrome Lined with Stage 2 NM trigger.

I'd go with LMT over RRA or Pete.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 7:36:15 PM EDT
[#43]
The LMT 2-stage is one of the best and is not "unsafe", its also reliable. Have you ever felt a "bad" trigger on a quality AR platform, it has to do with how the body interacts with the AR trigger vs. the M1/M14.
You don't need a 2-stage match trigger on an AR unless you are "that good", your rifle is "that good", and you are shooting matches. Save the money.

No USGI spec rifle is "that good"...
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 7:38:20 PM EDT
[#44]
I would go with:

LMT lower w/ std trigger and regular M4-type stock
LMT 16" M4-type upper
LMT standard BCG
LMT BUIS

Forget the free float handguards or the trigger and bolt upgrades unless you have tons of money or you feel you just have to have that stuff.

Also, I wouldn't pay $485 for that upper, you can find the same deals for like $50 less or so, and sometimes even less (relatively) if you also buy the BCG.  Call Pete, he did have LMT uppers just recently.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 7:51:28 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I would go with:

LMT 16" M4-type upper
LMT standard BCG
LMT BUIS

Forget the free float handguards or the trigger and bolt upgrades unless you have tons of money or you feel you just have to have that stuff.

Also, I wouldn't pay $485 for that upper, you can find the same deals for like $50 less or so, and sometimes even less (relatively) if you also buy the BCG.  Call Pete, he did have LMT uppers just recently.

Some links would be nice and everywhere I look they are basically the same price
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 8:45:08 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I would go with:

LMT 16" M4-type upper
LMT standard BCG
LMT BUIS

Some links would be nice and everywhere I look they are basically the same price

CALL Pete, he can't advertise his price, and the same is true for many LMT retailers.  It's similar to RRA pricing as well.  The advertised price is often NOT what they will actually sell it for.

Go to the EE, in the uppers section, find all the dealers selling LMT uppers, contact them for their best price.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 4:28:03 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I would go with:

LMT 16" M4-type upper
LMT standard BCG
LMT BUIS

CALL Pete, he can't advertise his price, and the same is true for many LMT retailers.  It's similar to RRA pricing as well.  The advertised price is often NOT what they will actually sell it for.

Go to the EE, in the uppers section, find all the dealers selling LMT uppers, contact them for their best price.

I E-mailed pete... He quoted me on LMT... but with the configurations I got from Rainer they are kinda giving me a better deal... rainer is 115 bucks more for the compelte rifle... but im also getting a MagPul CLR stock, a Stage 2 trigger, and the LMT defender 2000 Lower with LEO markings (Leo marking for the coolness factor)

and the stock alone covers the extra price tag...

But Pete said I'd be better off with the RRA... and I know RRA is a damn good rifle...
it's jsut difficult to know I sold my S&W M&P 15 (CMT) to build a better rifle and RRA is (CMT) and I beleive the M&P is a better rifle then the RRA... So to build the LMT I would be better suited...
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 7:08:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Looks like im going LMT...

LMT FOR THE WIN BOYS!!!

RRA is below the S&W I used to have... and I want better then both of them...

LMT IT IS!!!

All good rifles... just some are a little on the upper hand I suppose...
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 7:11:20 PM EDT
[#49]
THANK GOD!

Now build the fucker and post the pics!
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 7:14:33 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
THANK GOD!

Now build the fucker and post the pics!

LOL... I go friday to meet with my buddy who is FFL to order my Lower...

Then I Will order the rest that evening...

hopefully I will have it built within 2 weeks if shipping does'nt suck... if I get it within a few days... Ill build it then and post pics...

Then once I order my LaRue mount and my Comp M3 and my Surefire and my Troy Rail and my Vertical Foregrip and my Green Laser (yes the green ones are the Pwnage) and some other goodies... I'll post more pics...

BTW... probably only the 5mW green... it'll do the job... and green scares aliens too
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top