Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/16/2010 8:45:44 AM EDT

Is being American unhealthy for Mexicans?

Posted by David Ruth-Rice on December 15, 2010 13:2

http://www.futurity.org/top-stories/is-being-american-unhealthy-for-mexicans/

RICE / DUKE (US) —
Mexican-Americans
who have assimilated into the U.S. culture are less healthy than those
who have recently migrated from Mexico, a new study suggests.
While men tend to start out healthier than women, their health declines at a faster pace as they adapt to the U.S. culture.

Seriously, is there ANYTHING that the world can't blame America for?  You have MEXICANS blaming THE US SYSTEM for their supposed ill health.  The writing is on the wall, gentlemen.  You've let things go too far.  When you have MEXICANS blaming US culture for making them sick, it's game over.  You had better apologize and write a couple of checks to make up for this.  

Link Posted: 12/16/2010 8:47:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Deport them all!!!
For their health of course.

ETA-I'm just referring to the illegals.   The rest of them have to stay and die of heart disease like the rest of us Americans.

Link Posted: 12/16/2010 8:47:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Dude, just come to Earth 2 with the rest of us where you won't have to deal with this bullshit.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 8:48:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Dude, just come to Earth 2 with the rest of us where you won't have to deal with this bullshit.

Did you just invite a Canadian to Earth2??? Are you fucking nuts?
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 8:49:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Deport them all!!!

For their health of course Do it for the children.

Link Posted: 12/16/2010 8:50:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Interesting. Probably bullshit. The medical/ nutritional science arena is full of crap studies.

I read previously that immigrants from places like southern mexico tend to grow taller in the US, etc. The growth is mostly longer legs, i.e., the body proportions are different.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 8:51:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I' think they've done that study on just about every race on Earth.

Every conclusion-Once you adopt American living standards, you die early.

Link Posted: 12/16/2010 8:51:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Deport them all!!!

For their health of course Do it for including the children.

Almost there...
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 8:53:47 AM EDT
[#8]
You guys are looking at this wrong.  Just go with it.

Yes, America is bad for your health and will make you very ill.  Do not come here.  It's horrible.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 8:56:48 AM EDT
[#9]
What are the excuses for this?

Obesity by Race/Ethnicity

New Obesity Data Shows Blacks Have the Highest Rates of Obesity

Black Non-Hispanic

Blacks had 51 percent higher prevalence of obesity, and Hispanics had 21 percent higher obesity prevalence compared with whites.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 8:59:11 AM EDT
[#10]
unfortunately, expect more situations similar to the Panama City School board shooing.

Our culture is pushing hundreds of thousands of perfectly normal [white] American men into a corner, where there is no acceptable escape other than to be demonized, ridiculed, blamed and taxed for the socially perceived ills of...  being a white, American male in the modern world.   Welfare familes?  Whitie's fault.   Economic collamity?   Rich Whitie's fault.   Mexican obesity?  Whitie's fault.  Get into a tussle with your friend?  Whitie's got aggression issues and needs to be medicated.   Stupid kids, failing educational system?   Whitie's a horrible father.   Gun ownership?   Whitie's a loose cannon and scares the neighbors - what does Whitie need an "assault rifle" for, anyway?  Kids are freaking out, throwing tantrums and threatening teachers?  Whitie doesn't control his kids, maybe the government should do it for him?   Kids are spanked and shown discipline?   Whitie abuses his children!   OMG - take those kids out of Whitie's abusive home!   Conservative mindset?  Bush is an imperialist, racist satan - and so is Whitie for voting for him.  Want a smaller government and more freedom?  Too bad, Whitie doesn't know what's best for himself, so we the Government will do what we want anyway.   Resurgence of Tea Party?   Whitie's an ignorant, racist tea bagger who watches too much Glenn Beck.....  

Repeat ad nauseum.

Collectively, as there is no reasonable, socially acceptable outlet for the cumulative frustrations of this generations-long feminization of the American male... combined with economic and political changes - I think more and more white, American males are going to start snapping in illogical, spectacular ways.

I'm kind of surprised it hasn't appeared to have happened yet, actually.

/tangient loosely based on OP's topic.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 9:00:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Something something *non coc compliant* something
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 9:00:46 AM EDT
[#12]

How do you say "reparations" in Spanish?

Link Posted: 12/16/2010 9:05:47 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

culpa
blanquito
?

Link Posted: 12/16/2010 9:06:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

los reparacions

Coming soon, "Aye Chingaso, I got denied a farm loan too, holmes."
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 9:11:47 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Amnesty.

Link Posted: 12/16/2010 9:17:52 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Amnesty.

And lots of entitlements (government assistance, in state tuition, affirmative action).

Or a change in health and nutrition policy to reflect their home nation (will be easier to do once mommy government is providing everybodies health care).

Yep, living here is hazardous to your health. Go home.

Would rather live free and die earlier thank you very much.

Link Posted: 12/16/2010 9:20:42 AM EDT
[#17]
When you go from 3 tortillas and some black beans a day, to 3 big macs a day, you get all unhealthy.  And boy, do they ever.

Between the bad water and limited dietary options, Mexico is THE place to be if you want to lose a lot of weight, fast.  Maybe I should start a business to take advantage of this....
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 9:23:42 AM EDT
[#18]
America me convierto en un triton!
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 9:27:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

GTFO.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 9:28:21 AM EDT
[#20]
American in general have a very unhealthy diet.  Why is this a surprise to anyone?

I'd like to see how much weight correlates to these findings.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 9:36:31 AM EDT
[#21]
“From a policy perspective, this highlights the necessity of improving access to and utilization of medical-care services among men,” Gorman says. “Not only would this help address an important unmet health need for many men, it would also permit health researchers to more accurately assess and forecast medical-care need and use among residents.”

Jesus effing christ! are we talking about legal or ILLEGAL immigrants here?? If they are legal ok, but this is one of the problems that goes unnoticed. Sure Illegals are good for depressing wages, making the rich richer and getting votes for democrats BUT THERE IS A BAD SIDE TO IT TOO!! They clog up the emergency rooms and the schools. Lest time i went to the emergency room, in 2005, it was packed, and it was packed with a certain ethnic group, you know what i'm saying? When my mom went in 2008 she waited 8 hours to be seen, again totally packed with illegals. WTF??????????
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 9:39:09 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

"From a policy perspective, this highlights the necessity of improving access to and utilization of medical-care services among men,” Gorman says. "Not only would this help address an important unmet health need for many men, it would also permit health researchers to more accurately assess and forecast medical-care need and use among residents.”

Jesus effing christ! are we talking about legal or ILLEGAL immigrants here?? If they are legal ok, but this is one of the problems that goes unnoticed. Sure Illegals are good for depressing wages, making the rich richer and getting votes for democrats BUT THERE IS A BAD SIDE TO IT TOO!! They clog up the emergency rooms and the schools. Lest time i went to the emergency room, in 2005, it was packed, and it was packed with a certain ethnic group, you know what i'm saying? When my mom went in 2008 she waited 8 hours to be seen, again totally packed with illegals. WTF??????????

Both, from what I can tell.

Link Posted: 12/16/2010 9:52:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
unfortunately, expect more situations similar to the Panama City School board shooing.

Our culture is pushing hundreds of thousands of perfectly normal [white] American men into a corner, where there is no acceptable escape other than to be demonized, ridiculed, blamed and taxed for the socially perceived ills of...  being a white, American male in the modern world.   Welfare familes?  Whitie's fault.   Economic collamity?   Rich Whitie's fault.   Mexican obesity?  Whitie's fault.  Get into a tussle with your friend?  Whitie's got aggression issues and needs to be medicated.   Stupid kids, failing educational system?   Whitie's a horrible father.   Gun ownership?   Whitie's a loose cannon and scares the neighbors - what does Whitie need an "assault rifle" for, anyway?  Kids are freaking out, throwing tantrums and threatening teachers?  Whitie doesn't control his kids, maybe the government should do it for him?   Kids are spanked and shown discipline?   Whitie abuses his children!   OMG - take those kids out of Whitie's abusive home!   Conservative mindset?  Bush is an imperialist, racist satan - and so is Whitie for voting for him.  Want a smaller government and more freedom?  Too bad, Whitie doesn't know what's best for himself, so we the Government will do what we want anyway.   Resurgence of Tea Party?   Whitie's an ignorant, racist tea bagger who watches too much Glenn Beck.....  

Repeat ad nauseum.

Collectively, as there is no reasonable, socially acceptable outlet for the cumulative frustrations of this generations-long feminization of the American male... combined with economic and political changes - I think more and more white, American males are going to start snapping in illogical, spectacular ways.

This.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 9:55:16 AM EDT
[#24]
No one will force them to stay in an unhealthy environment.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 9:58:56 AM EDT
[#25]
"Mexican nationals make poor dietary choices when not starving" is what that headline should read
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 10:00:10 AM EDT
[#26]
So has Zero apologized to Calderon for this yet?
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 10:03:01 AM EDT
[#27]
I guess you could actually say.......

"It's Bushs' fault."

If he'd just built the wall...........

It has been about 5 years but I heard of a study that compared Mexicans from a specific area in Mexico against those from that area who had "immigrated" to the US.

The difference in longevity was marked.

I believe this could be said of a number of ethnic groups that relocate here, Japanese, for instance.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 10:04:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Mexican food is not exactly the healthiest thing out there.

Good stuff, but fattening.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 10:05:06 AM EDT
[#29]
I hope so.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 10:28:49 AM EDT
[#30]
I've been trying to tell them.......

Any angle will do for a writer.   All they need is a perceptible slant to get the ink flowing....so to speak.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 10:30:23 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

What are the excuses for this?

Obesity by Race/Ethnicity

New Obesity Data Shows Blacks Have the Highest Rates of Obesity

Black Non-Hispanic

http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/images/obesity_race_black_2008.jpg

http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/images/obesity_race_legend.jpg

Blacks had 51 percent higher prevalence of obesity, and Hispanics had 21 percent higher obesity prevalence compared with whites.

Kinda lol'd at insufficient sample for the way way northern states.

Link Posted: 12/16/2010 10:35:11 AM EDT
[#32]
The McDonalds Diet has been proven to be unhealthy for any human.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 10:43:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Fuck 'em. The .gov will telling me to eat tamales next.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 10:48:39 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

welfare?  That's the universal term.

Link Posted: 12/16/2010 11:41:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Doesn't surprise me at all.

In Mexico, the average working stiff tends to walk a lot - Cars are relatively expensive, parking spaces are hard to find, roads are bad, and traffic congestion in most Mexican cities makes LA or Houston look like a NASCAR track. Many folks use public transport (buses or subways), but have to walk in order to get to the nearest transit stop. Often, they're carrying, children, groceries or other items while they're doing it. That's a lot more exercise than the average American gets.

When they come to America, they tend to adopt the American lifestyle - which includes a car.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 11:43:36 AM EDT
[#36]

someone please tell me why do they come here again?

if it's so fucking bad.

Link Posted: 12/16/2010 11:48:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 11:48:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Repeat ad nauseum.

Someone on this board gets it.  Liberaltarian platitudes, Political Correctness, and multiculturalism don't work out too well in the real world.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 11:49:10 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm surprised they didn't say any foreigners instead of just Mexicans.  Well, I guess that's next.

On a whole, I'm strangely comfortable with this new fact.  In fact, I think this evening on the way home, I will stop and hand out big macs and jumbo jacks.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 11:52:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Well, there is always the option of sending them ALL back to Mexico and putting a big fat tall concrete wall behind them...
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 11:57:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Deport them to Canada
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 12:00:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Repeat ad nauseum.

Good post...
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 12:00:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Reported in the Journal of Health and Social Behavior, the study examines gender differences in Mexican immigrant health using data from the 1998-2007 National Health Interview Survey.

Am I reading this right?  This is based on the Mexicans' opinions of their health?
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 12:03:22 PM EDT
[#44]
I think the federal government should pay for proper diet and exercise programs for our undocumented guests. It's only fair.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 12:32:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Something to add: In my travels to Mexico I noticed there is no shortage of native fatties there too.

How long before we hear "90% of the food causing obesity in Mexico has been traced back to US grocery stores".

Link Posted: 12/16/2010 12:48:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Something to add: In my travels to Mexico I noticed there is no shortage of native fatties there too.

How long before we hear "90% of the food causing obesity in Mexico has been traced back to US grocery stores corporations".

Here fixed it for you.  Never miss a chance to bash U.S. Corporations.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 12:52:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

How long before we hear "90% of the food causing obesity in Mexico has been traced back to US grocery stores".

They were all skinny before WalMart opened there.

Link Posted: 12/16/2010 12:58:11 PM EDT
[#48]
except for the soccer players, mexicans that live in mexico arent in the best of shape anyways, come here with all the fatty fast food and its a death sentence

Link Posted: 12/16/2010 12:58:54 PM EDT
[#49]
The guy who wrote the article has a hyphenated last name....ive only seen that shit done with super liberal women.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 1:00:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Damned HEB loophole.  Better close it before they get too fat to swim.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top