Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/19/2005 8:32:13 PM EDT
www.ncaasports.com/

Go to news.netcraft.com/, plug in the NCAAsports.com url into the webserver search, get back a raft of data on their webserver.

Netblock Owner IP address OS Web Server Last changed
Savvis 3300 Regency Parkway Cary NC US 27511 216.19.170.247 Linux Apache/1.3.28 Unix mod_perl/1.26 8-Dec-2004
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:34:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/19/2005 8:39:09 PM EDT by ElCamino]
So?

ETA: if your geek-fu wasn't so weak you could probably get that yourself from the "server" line of an HTTP response

ETA2: just tried it, no dice, nevermind.

But my "So" comment still stands. I haven't kept up to date on versions, but even version numbers don't really matter if vulnerabilities are patched. Trust me, I've tried (in a laboratory environment)
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:34:43 PM EDT
Has anybody brought it to their attention?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:35:33 PM EDT
OMFG!! Call the Apaches! They may be offended.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:41:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By fight4yourrights:

Oh. Didn't even cross my mind that that's what it's about. Nevermind.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:41:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ElCamino:
So?

ETA: if your geek-fu wasn't so weak you could probably get that yourself from the "server" line of an HTTP response

? Suck my Geek-Fu, mofo. I'm in the 14th year of an I.T. career.

The whole f'n POINT is that the NCAA just shit all over the nation's college's demanding they drop Indian mascots out of their misguided Politically Correct horseshit. Yet there they are, usins software with an Indian name.

But your ass wants to sniffle and play one-up games.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:42:30 PM EDT

So?

ETA2: just tried it, no dice, nevermind.

But my "So" comment still stands. I haven't kept up to date on versions, but even version numbers don't really matter if vulnerabilities are patched. Trust me, I've tried (in a laboratory environment)

ok, you obviously missed it, from being TOO MUCH of a Geek - I wasn't dissing their choice of software for Technical reasons, dummy.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:43:01 PM EDT

Ah. My counter-abuse withdrawn.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:44:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/19/2005 8:48:11 PM EDT by ElCamino]

Originally Posted By rayra:

Ah. My counter-abuse withdrawn.

I jumped the gun a little bit - the PC v. Mac religious war I got into recently made me think that all of sudden somebody hated Apache for some ungodly reason

ETA: Which was the basis of the weak geek-fu thing - nobody with strong geek-fu would hate Apache - Sorry dude, my bad.

ETA2: The funny thing is, I knew about the NCAA thing. But "Apache" means "web server" to me instead of "Indian" or even "attack helicopter" so that crucial connection was not made
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:48:13 PM EDT
Send an e-mail. I bet they don't have a pre-written one for that.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:50:02 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:51:52 PM EDT
it would be funny if next week they were running IIS.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:53:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By david_g17:
it would be funny if next week they were running IIS.

You KNOW they will. And the next week after it gets widespread media attention they'll be offline as hordes of script-kiddies hammer the shit out of it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:56:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/19/2005 9:00:22 PM EDT by c-wheeler]
The Apache web server evolved from the NCSA web server, it was patched to fix bugs and add new features.
It was "a patchy server", so the authors named it Apache. The web site does have an indian looking feather.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:01:02 PM EDT
Well, the defense to it is that Apache started as some old form of http server that was adopted by some group, which had to put out patches pretty much weekly for it. So it became known as 'that patchy server'. It evolved into 'apache server' The name stuck.

That's geek lore as it has been passed down to me.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:04:26 PM EDT

Originally Posted By rayra:

So?

? Suck my Geek-Fu, mofo. I'm in the 14th year of an I.T. career.

The whole f'n POINT is that the NCAA just shit all over the nation's college's demanding they drop Indian mascots out of their misguided Politically Correct horseshit. Yet there they are, usins software with an Indian name.

But your ass wants to sniffle and play one-up games.

Those are Native American names. Indian names are like Kiran, Divyesh, Chandra, Patel, etc..
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:03:44 PM EDT
Why the name "Apache"?

The name 'Apache' was chosen from respect for the Native American Indian tribe of Apache (Indé), well-known for their superior skills in warfare strategy and their inexhaustible endurance. For more information on the Apache Nation, we suggest searching Google, Northernlight, or AllTheWeb.

Secondarily, and more popularly (though incorrectly) accepted, it's a considered cute name which stuck. Apache is "A PAtCHy server". It was based on some existing code and a series of "patch files".

httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/misc/FAQ.html#name
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:14:46 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MrsGloftoe:
May I offer this thread a Zoloft?

I'll take 2 please....... just arrived at work
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:34:19 AM EDT
Dear NCAA,

Recently I read about your organization's efforts to restrict and prohibit the use of hostile and abusive racial/ethnic/national origin mascots, nicknames, or imagery by NCAA colleges and universities. From what I have been able to learn, the NCAA is taking this quite seriously and believes that by such a policy will "enhance the integrity of intercollegiate athletics". I also understand that any use of mascots and imagery on an institutions uniforms or paraphernalia is strongly discouraged. With such a far reaching and ambitious effort, I believe the NCAA Sports organization must lead by example and ensure it is also operating with adherence to its own policies and guidelines.

I spend a fair amount of time on both the NCAA Sports, and NCAA web site and, while exploring recently, was extremely disappointed to find both sites are being run and served with the "Apache" web server. To make matters worse, the Apache Software Foundation's Logo is a colored feather - as you would typically find in a Native American head dress. Clearly, with such a stereotype being advanced, it is unacceptable for the NCAA to continue using this software under any circumstance.

Fortunately, other software options without this offensive association are available which will allow you to deliver a similar level of performance to your readers. Certainly any cost or effort involved with the conversion will be justified and well received by the public and media. Please investigate these options and discontinue your association with the Apache Software Foundation. An organization as large and visible as the NCAA should not be lending credibility and support to the continued advancement of unacceptable stereotypes and representations.

Sincere thanks,
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:49:26 AM EDT
torstin:Sounds good to me. Trip them on up on their own BS.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:58:57 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:59:05 AM EDT

The Apache web server is named so because it was:

a patchy web server.

But Apache was easier to spell!
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 12:10:20 PM EDT
Does anyone know why it was named Apache?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 12:38:23 PM EDT
This just in!!

AH-64s renamed "Fuzzy Bunny".

OH-58s renamed "Tolerance and Diversity".

UH-60s renamed "Snail Darter".

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 12:39:41 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 1:08:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/20/2005 1:08:23 PM EDT by werbwerb]

Originally Posted By jsbcanada:
Why the name "Apache"?

The name 'Apache' was chosen from respect for the Native American Indian tribe of Apache (Indé), well-known for their superior skills in warfare strategy and their inexhaustible endurance. For more information on the Apache Nation, we suggest searching Google, Northernlight, or AllTheWeb.

Secondarily, and more popularly (though incorrectly) accepted, it's a considered cute name which stuck. Apache is "A PAtCHy server". It was based on some existing code and a series of "patch files".

httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/misc/FAQ.html#name

Quoted because some of you don't read all of the posts.
Top Top