BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/3/2001 1:01:42 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 1:09:53 PM EDT
[#1]
[:K]
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 1:13:40 PM EDT
[#2]
After much debate with myself over whether or not I should register my rifle in CA, I decided to go ahead and do it so I would not have to look over my shoulder at the range and stuff. The cards were supposed to be available at police stations, so I stopped in at the local CHP office since it was closest. I asked the trooper at the desk if they had the cards, and he flatly told me that those damned assault rifles were illegal, and there was no such thing as registration for illegal items, and they would definitely not have something like that. I told him thank you very much, and went to the city police station, which was very friendly, and gave me the cards. I asked if I could take some more, and they said sure, it was no problem. I took about 40 or so cards from them, and drove back to the CHP station, and handed them to the same trooper. He was just sure that they were fake and that it was illegal to have the sweet black rifle. I left him with the cards anyway.

What an idiot. And these are the same folks that are supposed to be enforcing our laws. I would hate to have to rely on his knowledge of the law in any case.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 1:16:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Most LEO's don't know the firearms laws. Just look at oneshot1kills experience. Now, there are some who do, like the ones who frequent this site. I don't know the ratio of do's to don'ts, and I couldn't even wager a guess. Those who have more experiences around LEO's(and LEO's themselves) could. Anybody have an idea?
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 1:20:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, Lo76, I'd hazzard a guess of 80% to 20%, with the 80% NOT knowing the gunlaws.

[smoke]
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 1:25:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 2:32:03 PM EDT
[#6]
My next door neighbor was a U.S. Marshall for a while before going back to his normal job as a PD officer, and while he's pro-gun, he has very little clue about firearms laws.  When I bought my AR-15 and brought it over for him to check out, he had no idea what the difference between the pre-ban and post-ban status of a rifle meant.

Let's face it guys, I'd say 95% of your average county/city/state law enforcement in most of the states has no clue what the specific firearms laws are, at least here in Texas.  I saw that as being the relative and friend of many cops throughout Texas.  Fortunately all the ones I know are pro-gun, and believed a legally armed citizen is less likely to cause a problem.  As my nextdoor neighbor puts it, he knows when he pulls over someone with a CHL that he's going to have no problem out of them because they are almost all law-abiding.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 5:41:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Gosh, I hate those "good ol' boys."  We had a deputy stop an out of state resident with a valid Texas CHL.  The idiot deputy starts running the pistol and everything else he can think of.  I kept trying to tell him that Texas does issue CHL's to out of state residents.  He wouldn't believe me to save his life.  He kept saying that the CHL is not valid because he has no Texas DL.  Oh well,  he finally got his ass fired.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 5:52:04 PM EDT
[#8]
The penal code is thicker than the bible. Then there is the Vehicle code, Business and Professions code, Health & Safety Code, Welfare and Institutions Code, Municiple Codes, Nobody has them all memorized.

Link Posted: 12/3/2001 6:05:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 6:17:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 6:18:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 6:24:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Here is an idea....If the cop either doesn't know the law or doesn't know how to look it up in the penal code (which they should all have to carry in their car) and comprehend what it says, then maybe they should just keep their trap shut. Their job is to enforce the law, so if some of them don't know what the hell the law is then what are they out there doing all day long? Anybody can point a radar gun and read the numbers, you would think all of the police out there would have had a little more training than that.

Michael
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 6:41:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 6:41:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 6:52:41 PM EDT
[#15]
This is actually a strategy we should pursue, people. "we need to simplify the gun laws to make them easier to enforce."
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 7:12:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Not all LOE's are ignorant. I was in State College (home of Penn-State) for a football weekend when I was pulled over on a Sunday morning. Officer thought I was drunk because I was going too slow on an empty street. Anyway, I informed him I was carrying concealed. He asked me to get out of vehicle and removed handgun from me. Then ran my CCW permit to make sure it was valid. After a few minutes and after realizing I wasnt drunk and my permit was ok, we started talking about my P7M13. Turns out he's a big HK fan and I happened to have his favorite pistol. We talked for a while and then he sent me on my way. He did remove the mag and made me put it in the trunk though.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 7:37:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 3:45:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 4:45:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 4:39:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 4:49:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Cop: Do you guys have permits for those (as he said this he grabbed Topcrest's glock and shook it in its holster)
View Quote

I wonder what this officer would have done if he found himself face down on the other side of the room when the openly carrying citizen had employed a weapon retention tactic that the officer had been trained in. I would call that "getting schooled."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top