Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2004 8:36:51 PM EDT
Hi all...just a lowly college student out lookin for a job. I was wondering if anyone here could give me any leads on Police Depts. that are currently taking applications, and whether or not they were worthwhile cities to work for. Right now I'd like to stay within the midwest, but I'll pretty much go wherever necessity takes me...as long as it doesnt rhyme with "california" . Thanks
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:38:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:41:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I heard that the Keystone PD is taking applications for cops.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:42:06 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Hi all...just a lowly college student out lookin for a job. I was wondering if anyone here could give me any leads on Police Depts. that are currently taking applications, and whether or not they were worthwhile cities to work for. Right now I'd like to stay within the midwest, but I'll pretty much go wherever necessity takes me...as long as it doesnt rhyme with "california" . Thanks

How about New York.

I'd say put an app in with the deparments that are most attractive to you. PDs are pretty much always hiring, lots of job security ya know.

Also check in at the Brothers of the shield part of the forum most of the other pigs hang there.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:45:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Los Angeles doesn't rhyme with California.

CW
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:46:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

How about New York.

I'd say put an app in with the deparments that are most attractive to you. PDs are pretty much always hiring, lots of job security ya know.

Also check in at the Brothers of the shield part of the forum most of the other pigs hang there.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:46:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I heard that the Keystone PD is employing cops.

Being a policeman in Keystone is like being a Marine named Jim Nabors.

Those poor bastards!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:49:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Biggest piece of advice I can give you is to look for mid sized departments in economically strong areas.

See if the position you may be filling is a new one or if they have a revolving door. Bad departments have a cycle of cops in and out.

Find a patrol officer at the donut shop and chat him up, see what "the man on the street" thinks about his agency. (Be prepared to sense BS, the party line or sour grapes though.) Check out the guys you see. Nice cars? Nice uniforms? Nice equipment? Take home vehicles?

If you have a special intrest make sure the department can satisfy it. Wanna work dope? Wanna work cyber crimes? Wanna be a cool crime scene type? Wanna be SWAT Man? Make sure they have those types of units so you can grow into them.

Finally make sure that the deartment is OK with the ocassional beat down because, hey, what good is it being the Man if you can not keep a fucker down and do some opressin' every so often ya know?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:54:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Try here  local department by me www.perkinspolice.org/
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 3:27:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Talk to your local personnel departments. As for out of town agencies, buy a large cities Sunday newspapers; some agencies that conduct national searches will take out ads in the Sunday editions. Check out www.officer.com. Before it was bought out last year, it used to be a source for things like that. I can't speak for what it's like now, since I was banned from there along with most of the officers who posted in their forum when the new owners did a huge purge.
Other sources you might find of interest:

www.apbweb.com/employment.htm
go.to/beacop
www.10-7.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=55&sid=0cc7b5d54df6a8d678707d706ab27a7b
www.911jobforums.com/vB/
www.trafficenforcement.org/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.pl?board=Employment
www.policeone.com/careers/
forums.realpolice.net/forumdisplay.php?f=100
www.todayscop.com/cgi-todayscop/ib3/ikonboard.cgi?s=4178ede42656ffff;act=SF;f=20
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 3:29:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Hop from website to website on the net just like everyone else.  The department sites always tell you whether or not they're taking applications for police officers.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 3:52:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Detroit is hiring
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 3:55:38 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Detroit is hiring

...and you don't even need to have a clean background to get hired there.  

Link Posted: 10/22/2004 3:56:06 AM EDT
[#13]
www.goarmy.com

Always looking for MP's.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 4:09:30 AM EDT
[#14]
thanks for all the help guys...I'll be looking into these. G_S....I would love to go the .mil route, but they shot me down already a few years ago. Seems they dont like the medicine I take. (no...I aint talkin "that" kind of "medicine" hippie.gif)
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 4:27:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Boston should have an opening after last night's fuck up.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 4:33:51 AM EDT
[#16]
What about ISP or IPD
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 11:45:46 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
What about ISP or IPD

Already got an app in with ISP...no word on them, I missed the test date for IPD, so I'll have to reapply to them
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 11:48:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 11:49:22 AM EDT
[#19]

SGtar15
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 11:56:17 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Try Arizona.  Many cities and towns are growing fast and always are in need of good officers.  Minimum of an Associates Degree required, Bachelor preferred in most places.  Both the weather and the women are hot!
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 11:59:58 AM EDT
[#21]
If you are even the slightest of minority, play that up as big as you can. If you're not, claim you are "Native American".

(and if that don't work, at least tell them that you're gay)

With Affirmative Action, most WASPS don't stand a chance.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top