Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/8/2004 8:35:11 PM EST
If someone files a FALSE CPS (Child Protective Services) report that some woman is hitting her child and in reality she isnt, can the person who filed the report be charged with falsifying a report?

And would it matter if the police accompany the CPS agent or not?
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:40:14 PM EST
I haven't heard of anyone getting arrested for that, and I don't think it would matter if the CPS agent was present or not.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:18:19 AM EST
CPS only rules whether the complaint was founded or unfounded, not whether the original report was valid or not. Founded/ Unfounded only reflects that they feel there is sufficient proof to substantiate the original hotline report and does/ does not warrant further investigation.

Accompanying officers are only there to safeguard the investigating CPS worker, not conduct their own investigation. Now , if something was in plain view to them while at the location, or something illegal happened in their presence, thats a different situation...
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:32:50 AM EST
It depends on the law where you are at. In my state it would not be covered by making a false police report. It would be a tort though under civil remedies.
Top Top