Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2001 1:15:35 PM EDT
I was driving to the hospital to do a delivery and I get a second page that the delivery is imminent. I hit the pedal and I was going 80mph in a 40mph zone.  The LEO was coming toward me and made a U turn.  He pulled me over and when I explained the situation, he actually blocked traffic to let me get back on the road. Confirms my faith in these guys. I know its stupid to speed, but in my line of work it can get pretty bad and not safe if the Doc is not at the delivery.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 1:22:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 1:27:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey beekeeper, it was a girl 7lbs 9oz.  She pushed twice and out it came.  Its kinda funny, I delivered one of the LEOs baby a week before. Another officer in the same department.  A lot of them came through to say hello and pay their respects.  He might have been one and recognized me.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 1:48:23 PM EDT
[#3]
About 9 years ago I was out in my back yard with my girlfriend and she got bit by a fire ant.  After few minutes she started to swell up and complained about difficulty breathing.  Needless to say she was having a severe alergic reaction to the ant bite.

I got her in the car to drive to the nearest emergeny room which was about 10 miles away.  While driving to the hospital she got really quiet and her face looked like a balloon so I started driving faster (about 65 in 45 mph zone).  As I passed a intersection a local LEO got behind me and put his lights on.  I was thinking he could perhapse take her to the hospital with the lights running.  When he came to my car I explained the situation to him and his reply was "I'll make this quick" and wrote me a speeding ticket!  I could not believe it.  
He told me to "take it easy" as he walked away to his car.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 1:58:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 2:04:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Obviously he did not understand the gravity of the situation.  She could have easily died.  In this day of litigation, that one should be worth at least $25 million to start.  I think most people would have used common sense and let you go.  Last summer a little boy swallowed a bottle of his mom's pills.  His dad found him starting to turn purple.  He took the kid into his car and floored it.  Unfortunately he took out three other cars at the intersection.  I was waiting to make a left turn.  He jumped out of his car and into another that was waiting to turn.  He begged the person to them to the ER about a mile away.  He made it to the ER and so did the kid.  But sometimes its better to call EMS.  They are professionals and they could have tubed the kid.  I also understand the anguish of the dad.  Any parent would gladly sacrifice their lives for their child.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 2:09:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Selective enforcement of existing laws goes against the very fabric that this country was founded upon. Either apply all laws equally to all or don't apply them at all.

80mph in a 40mph zone is wreckless driving and you should have been arrested. It should not matter who you are or where you are going.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 2:11:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Beekeeper, its not always that easy, she was a "multip" in our lingo which means she has had other children.  First kids are literally a pain in the ass.  The longest labors are with first children.  Its like going down a heavy underbrush trail.  Pun intended. Once the trail is made, its easier for the second person.  Same thing with birth. Not alwas but usually this is the way things work.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 2:15:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Imbroglio, what if it was your kid and your wife?  Would you sacrifice their lives for your sense of justice?  I have seen parents do wonderful things for their childrn.  From reading your stuff on AR15.COM I think you are a decent guy.  I bet you would do anything to ensure safety for your child.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 2:18:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 2:21:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I have no wife. I have no kids. I am not a doctor and if I were going 80 in a 40 zone would have been arrested no matter what "valid" excuse I gave to the cop.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 2:24:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have no wife. I have no kids. I am not a doctor and if I were going 80 in a 40 zone would have been arrested no matter what "valid" excuse I gave to the cop.
View Quote

You have a car too! You lucky SOB!
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 2:25:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Hey Beekeeper, thanks a million!  Nothing like seeing a birth.  Makes all the shitty things in this world seem a lot less important.  I still feel good when a dad cries. Its cool to see a 300lb 6'5" dad holding his new baby and bawling.  I feel good because, I helped bring this baby into this world and this huge guy loves this baby enough to show his feelings. Kind of ensures it will have a good home and family.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 2:28:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Contribute something to society other than generating carbon dioxide and maybe we might cut you some slack.[moon]
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 2:32:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 2:41:09 PM EDT
[#15]
ARDOC:

I have noticed that first child birth is usually few days later than the expected date, the second is usually on time and third is usually few days early?  This is just my personal observation watching my family but it seems to the case with most people I know. Is this generally the case?

As you can see my wife and I are planning to have 3 kids.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 3:26:23 PM EDT
[#16]
yobo, poor you for getting the ticket, sounds like my luck! guess that s the difference between Michigan and Florida!
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 4:07:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Imbroglio, what if it was your kid and your wife?  Would you sacrifice their lives for your sense of justice?  I have seen parents do wonderful things for their children.  From reading your stuff on AR15.COM I think you are a decent guy.  I bet you would do anything to ensure safety for your child.
View Quote

Embryo is being sarcastic.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 4:37:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Selective enforcement, "What if it was your wife"? What if it was my wife that was walking down the sidewalk, when his tire popped and he ran her over,not to mention 5 others. There is no excuse to drive that fast, you should of left earlier.
GG
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 7:16:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Last week I stopped a car going 79 in a 65 mph zone. The lady in the back seat waved to me and stated they were going to the hospital.She had an injured back and was in a lot of pain. I told the driver that it was not safe to speed and asked if they wanted EMS for the emergency. The lady said yes and I had them dispatched to the scene. The lady was transported to the hospital safely.
The driver was written a warning for the speeding. If they had not wanted EMS, I may have doubted the validity of the emergency.
In emergency situations LEO's should lean toward safety, over whether or not a ticket is written.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 8:14:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I know its stupid to speed, but in my line of work it can get pretty bad and not safe if the Doc is not at the delivery.  
View Quote

PLEASE, don't be so full of yourself.  More babies are delivered world wide with out the attendance of a physician than with.  And our rates of prenatal and neonatal mortality are nothing to brag about either.  Been there, done that, got the tee shirt too.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 8:50:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Back in 1975, I and my daughter (5 at the time) were visiting one of my sisters and her hubby in Pontotac, MS.  One of my brothers and I went bar hopping in Tupelo.  At the time, I had been out of the service for about 2 years and had not had a haircut for awhile, so it was kind of long.  Got some wierd looks over there.  Anyway, we had just left a bar and proceeding down the road and got pulled over by a state trooper.  He came up to the car (my brother was driving) and asked for me by name.  Man, was I shocked (damn, they know my name, I am in deep doodoo).  Turns out my daughter had been bitten by a dog.  My sister took her to an ER in Ecru, MS and had called the state troopers before she left the house, gave them my name, and a description of the car.  He led us to the ER, lights and all.  She was okay, just scared mostly, poor little thing.  Anyway, following ARDOC's train of thought, I just thought it was pretty neat the way they looked for us and then led us to the ER.

By the way, can there ever be a thread without someone trying to stir something up?
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 4:49:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Dmuldrew, not being full of myself.  Nature takes its course 99% of the time and nothing goes wrong.  However and few minutes of no oxygen for your baby and you have a crippled child.  Sometimes there is nothing you can do, but a doctor at the scene with the right staff and equipment can minimize the injuries.  Also, what people dont understand is that, I have no idea there is a woman in labor until the hospital calls me.  So I cant start out until I know.  Its difficult to plan ahead unless you are already at the hospital.

Yobo, there is some lay evidence that successive births come earlier. It really depends on the woman.  Later babies are usually bigger as well. Good luck with your procreational activites! I hope God blesses you with three beautiful children.  

LarryG, what did they do with the dog?  They can do some nasty damage to kids.  I saw a little 5yo kid who got bitten once in the calf by a pitbull.  4 perfect quarter sized holes. The owner was extremely despondent and he had it destroyed right away.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 4:57:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
LarryG, what did they do with the dog?  They can do some nasty damage to kids.  I saw a little 5yo kid who got bitten once in the calf by a pitbull.  4 perfect quarter sized holes. The owner was extremely despondent and he had it destroyed right away.  
View Quote

Is was one of my sister's dogs, so they kept it for observation.  It did not have rabies.  It was really just a nip if response to having it's tale pulled and scared my daughter more than anything.  It did break the skin, but not much, so they took her to ER just to get cleaned and bandaged.  Michelle wanted her daddy so they tracked us down.  [:D]  No one was upset at the dog and Michelle even went to where they were keeping him.  Of course, they would not let her pet him, but his tail was wagging and she was only concerned that they would not harm him, which they didn't.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 5:12:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Last year two local cops in Taylor, Michigan saw an ambulance going more than 10 MPH over the speed limit with its lights on. They followed until the ambulance stopped and would not lat the ambulance leave the scene with the patient, to take him to the hospital, until they finished the ticket.
The Chief backed them up 100%, because the law was being broken, and because the patient didn't die, so there was no reason to rush.
You can't get a better boss than that.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 5:34:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Those two cops, and their chief are dickheads !!!

Jay
Arizona

"Life is hard:
It's harder if you're stupid"
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 7:04:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 7:14:39 PM EDT
[#27]
I'll say it again. An officer should lean toward safety over whether or not a ticket is written.
If those two boneheads wanted that ticket so bad, they could have written it later.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 10:11:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Ever see cops driving to donut shop.  I bet they are going over the speed limit.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 10:34:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
....because the patient didn't die, so there was no reason to rush.
You can't get a better boss than that.
View Quote

Yeah, right.  You really mean a DUMBER boss.  When you're being sarcastic, make it more obvious - I almost missed that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top