Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2006 6:54:03 PM EDT
I work narcotics on a large Dept and we do alot of search warrants on guys with AK, SKS, etc... I am planning on buying plates to protect against the rifle threat. I've been told that the best way to go is w/ a set that utilizes your soft body armor as well so they will be lighter but give you good protection rather than the heavier stand alone type.

Any thoughts or input from guys that have used plates including type and manufacturer, price, etc... Thanks
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:10:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Soft under and then level III over.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:30:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I prefer the inconjunction plates.

The stand alones are fine, but I always wear my soft armor during a warrant.

Smith and Wesson had some at the last show.....prices were decent.

Botach is where I bought my set up.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:39:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I talked to SKD a week or two ago when I purchased a Wasatch rig and the guy suggested the inconjunction plates and quoted a price of $450 for the set...

Is that a good price..?

What threat level should I be looking for..?

What type of carrier do you use...?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:01:39 PM EDT
[#4]
If going against guys with rifles, I'd go ahead and drop the money on Lvl4 plates. I run a Blackhawk STRIKE plate carrier with hard plates in front and the rear with soft panels behind them to serve as spall guards.  The carrier is on top of my standard soft armor vest.

I think the SKD deal is pretty good.  I've seen the plates in person and they are nice
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 11:49:08 AM EDT
[#5]
As far as cariers are concerned, I wore a blackhawk STRIKE in Iraq and didnt like it at all.  Eagle industries makes one for roughly the same price and it is put together much better.  Just my .02

BJohnson
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:20:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I run a STRIKE carrier right now.  The greatest drawback to it is the flaired bottom. If you arent careful, it can hamper your drawstroke if you are running something like a 6280.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:37:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Got a chance to take a look at the new Eagle Industries LEO armor carrier it is by far a superior piece of equipment, my second choice would be Point blank as for plates if these are the threats that you are meeting I would go with at least level IV
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:28:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Is there any big difference in weight or cost between level 3 and 4 plates..?
(The weight shouldn't be an issue since unlike military guys I'd probably have the rig on for an hour or two rather than 10-12)

What's the difference in ballistic protection between L3-L4..?

Has anyone used the HSGI Wasatch and/or Weesatch plate carriers..?

Would the level-4 be a stand alone plate and the level-3 require soft armor to reach the same protection..?

I don't see me using the plates without soft armor since it provides more coverage and is by far the most common threat. (handguns)

Thanks for your input....
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:45:09 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Got a chance to take a look at the new Eagle Industries LEO armor carrier it is by far a superior piece of equipment, my second choice would be Point blank as for plates if these are the threats that you are meeting I would go with at least level IV

+1

The Eagle LE PC is available with and without a cumberbund. They are still about four weeks out in production. I'm on the list and waiting patiently.... Lots of new Eagle LE stuff coming out. You can see some of it on the 10-8 Forums.

And Eagle offers great LEO pricing!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:28:50 AM EDT
[#10]
I also forgot to mention some plates are designed for multiple hits and the manufacturer will usually tell you what the specs are.

Mine was made by some company in Kanada....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top