Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 9/29/2011 9:51:44 AM EST
link
HOUSTON (KTRK) –– There are surprising new responsibilities for a Houston police officer accused of turning a blind eye in the investigation of a fellow officer's alleged DWI crash.
Seven officers were reprimanded for their roles in allegedly covering up the extent of a fellow officer's DWI accident. HPD says Sgt. Ruben Trejo was drunk when he hit a school bus in April, with a blood alcohol content more than twice the legal limit. Trejo was eventually charged and then fired from the police force, but the officers accused of helping him nearly get away with it remain on the beat.
Tonight we've learned the highest ranking officer among the disciplined cops is getting a new job. It's not part of his discipline. In fact he'll have some increased and somewhat surprising new responsibilities.
In the minutes after allegedly drunk HPD Sergeant Ruben Trejo crashed his pickup into a school bus his fellow officers denied alcohol was involved. It was, according to HPD, who says Trejo was more than twice the legal limit. One officer literally covered up bottles on Trejo's floorboards and seven officers were disciplined for the botched investigation.
Assistant Chief Daniel Perales was the highest ranking in the group.
HPD Chief McClelland told Perales, "You failed to ensure that a comprehensive and timely investigation was conducted into the allegations that alcohol may have been a factor in Sgt. Trejo's accident."
Just two weeks after being disciplined for not properly investigating that DWI accident, we've learned Chief Perales is getting a new job. He'll now be in charge of traffic enforcement for HPD and the DWI task force.
DWI defense attorney Tyler Flood said, "I don't know anybody that would think that's a good idea."
Apparently Chief McClelland does. He told us Wednesday afternoon, "I have full confidence in the supervisors and officers involved in this case to be able to continue their duties without repeating the conduct that gave rise to this investigation."
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:53:42 AM EST
In!
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:54:11 AM EST
My shocked face.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:55:43 AM EST
Isolated incident.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:57:20 AM EST
I am sure he learned from his mistakes and will do a better job covering next time
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:57:25 AM EST
I thought guys like this get weeded out
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:57:50 AM EST
Originally Posted By Merrell:
Isolated incident.

It's amazing how often those happen.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 10:02:02 AM EST
Hmmm

Seems kinda odd that someone with a DUI is arresting people for DUI.

Not really shocked though. TBL'rs, this is why we are dubious.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 10:08:29 AM EST
It takes a their to catch a....hey, what a minute!
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 10:08:51 AM EST
/picard
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 10:14:19 AM EST
Originally Posted By Star_Scream:

Nah. Just like after Weaver and Waco, those responsible get commendations and promotions.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 10:30:35 AM EST
My surprised face is getting worn out.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:14:48 AM EST
Yeah, this is kind of a scandal here in Indianapolis. The IMPD has really developed a culture of...wait. What?! Houston?

Huh. Never mind, I guess.

TC
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:16:48 AM EST
What's the old saying Oh I know. "Fuck up, Move up!"
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:20:19 AM EST
Isolated incident.

They are all isolated incidents. Otherwise they would all be lumped into a single incident, which would itself be . . . isolated.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:21:43 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/29/2011 11:28:26 AM EST by BangStick1]

Only in fairytale land.

The state has too much time and money invested in the police to toss them out over petty felonious acts.
Instead, they'll just wait until somebody innocent is killed and the cover up fails on that.
Then, maybe....IF it comes down to needing a fall guy.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:25:16 AM EST
I guess what's in my sig-line is true.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:25:26 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:27:53 AM EST
Originally Posted By BangStick1:

Only in fairytale land.

bbbut I was assured cops hate bad apples and they get handled in house and people who think otherwise are paranoid antiauthority nutjobs

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:32:43 AM EST
Houston, we've got a problem

1. It's likely an admin job where he doesn't do actually anything.
2. He should have been fired.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:33:20 AM EST

Originally Posted By fla556guy:
Hmmm

Seems kinda odd that someone with a DUI is arresting people for DUI.

Not really shocked though. TBL'rs, this is why we are dubious.

RIF
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:34:36 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/29/2011 11:38:04 AM EST by 1387Delta]

The Assistant Chief - He's in line for the top spot.

ETA:

Daniel S Perales's Salary

Title Assistant Police Chief
Agency Houston
Department Police
Gender Male
Hire Date 08/25/1980
Salary $127,943
Current as of August 29, 2011

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:39:36 AM EST
Originally Posted By 1387Delta:

In the minutes after allegedly drunk HPD Sergeant Ruben Trejo crashed his pickup into a school bus his fellow officers denied alcohol was involved. It was, according to HPD, who says Trejo was more than twice the legal limit. One officer literally covered up bottles on Trejo's floorboards and seven officers were disciplined for the botched investigation.

So one LE was blotto and nailed a school bus, and SEVEN of his 'brother officers' covered up for him.

He blows a 0.205 at 2 in the afternoon, Link WHILE ON HIS WAY TO WORK.

What did they get?

Letters of Reprimand

There should be EIGHT bums out on the street.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:44:28 AM EST

So one LE was blotto and nailed a school bus, and SEVEN of his 'brother officers' covered up for him.

He blows a 0.205 at 2 in the afternoon, Link WHILE ON HIS WAY TO WORK.

What did they get?

Letters of Reprimand

There should be EIGHT bums out on the street.

No problem with that, I was only addressing a previous post specifically about the Assistant Chief.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:44:34 AM EST
Oh well.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:18:34 PM EST
Originally Posted By Troubl3shooter:
My surprised face is getting worn out.

Ain't that the truth, brother.

I posted the other day in one of our numerous &@* threads that abnormal is the new normal...so I guess I'm abnormal...I think.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:28:15 PM EST
What better 'fuckstick in charge', then the ding that has done it a bunch of times?
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:31:30 PM EST

Originally Posted By freewilly:
What better 'fuckstick in charge', then the ding that has done it a bunch of times?

Inaccurate post, but you're on the right track
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:32:37 PM EST

They are. We've been assured many, many times that they're hardest on their own.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:36:10 PM EST
Funny how many cops can get away with more shit and keep their jobs than I can as a cart pusher/maintenance asshole.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:48:59 PM EST
I'll never understand their hiring platform... 2 examples

A guy i was in highschool with, got caught stealing out the backdoor at a circuit city.. was arrested for it and is now a cop.

My brother has a college degree and interned for ATF all through college... he had a car repoed and HPD wouldn't take his resume
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:51:05 PM EST

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:55:33 PM EST
No one hates a bad cop more than good cops, which is why he's....uh....promoted.

Carry on.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:56:35 PM EST
Originally Posted By Towely:
Funny how many cops can get away with more shit and keep their jobs than I can as a cart pusher/maintenance asshole.

I disagree. It is quite the opposite. Where most agencies have policies of terminating for a DUI arrest (not conviction), you don't see that in other fields. Military is a prime example. Had a guy hold his wife hostage and beat her. Pled to a misdemeanor and the military gave him some discipline (don't remember what it was). Cop would have been fired.

Had a doctor high a a kite on cocaine, baggie of cocaine on the passenger seat, driving, had a brick tied to his nuts and had a topless girl on his hood, at 45 mph. Guess what he received from the hospital? A nasty letter telling him to complete his probation.

I am aware of two firemen that are registered sex offenders, even with one caught with an underage prostitute. That is for the hosedraggers
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:01:38 PM EST

Originally Posted By swingset:
No one hates a bad cop more than good cops, which is why he's....uh....promoted.

Carry on.

He wasn't promoted, he's already the assistant chief, which is probably why he skated. Where I worked they fired a Deputy Chief for hiring his buddy. I've seen many fired for lying, drug use, DUI, and basically any crime that would get you jailed. I don't know what the line is you have to cross to get fired in Houston, but covering up a crime and lying on reports should be on the list.

Carry on...
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:03:29 PM EST
Pretty fucking typical.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:05:16 PM EST

Originally Posted By tileguy1:
Pretty fucking typical.

Actually, it's not.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:06:40 PM EST

Isolated incident.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:09:13 PM EST

+1
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:16:15 PM EST

Pretty fucking typical.

Actually, it's not.

That is correct. For some reason, the media doesn't care about the arrests and the PD isn't out airing the dirty laundry. Cop is arrested like anyone else.

As for the guy in this case, why would someone so high up be involved in an accident investigation? The cops responding are easy to blame for their intentional acts, but that far up the chain sure seems odd.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:16:59 PM EST
That's pretty fucked up
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:21:07 PM EST
How many Deputy Chiefs actually go out to a TC scene? I'm guessing not many in dept's the size of HPD.

Sounds like the Deputy Chief was disciplined because the people that worked for him fucked up and he didn't uncover the fuck up - do I have that wrong?

Brian
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:29:36 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/29/2011 7:32:59 PM EST by scottedward58]
Originally Posted By RDP:

Pretty fucking typical.

Actually, it's not.

That is correct. For some reason, the media doesn't care about the arrests and the PD isn't out airing the dirty laundry. Cop is arrested like anyone else.

As for the guy in this case, why would someone so high up be involved in an accident investigation? The cops responding are easy to blame for their intentional acts, but that far up the chain sure seems odd.

Because it was one of his own. When a similar thing happened here the responding officers called the police chief from the accident scene.

ETA: The sad thing was the chief got off on the charges related to the cover up but unfortunately for him the whole thing brought attention to his other activities such as shopping in the evidence locker.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 8:57:18 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/29/2011 9:01:36 PM EST by Towely]
Originally Posted By RDP:
Originally Posted By Towely:

I disagree. It is quite the opposite. Where most agencies have policies of terminating for a DUI arrest (not conviction), you don't see that in other fields. Military is a prime example. Had a guy hold his wife hostage and beat her. Pled to a misdemeanor and the military gave him some discipline (don't remember what it was). Cop would have been fired.

Had a doctor high a a kite on cocaine, baggie of cocaine on the passenger seat, driving, had a brick tied to his nuts and had a topless girl on his hood, at 45 mph. Guess what he received from the hospital? A nasty letter telling him to complete his probation.

I am aware of two firemen that are registered sex offenders, even with one caught with an underage prostitute. That is for the hosedraggers

I never said MOST, I said MANY. I'm fairly confident MOST departments would have handled this differently but it seems all to often there are departments out there that let shit like this happen.

What really blows my mind here is yea, a DUI means you fucked up. Even good people can do stupid shit and fuck up. The guy with the DUI got fired, good start.. But then they don't fire people that went out of their way and made a conscious decision to try and cover it up. That shows some huge character flaws on their part. Trying to help someone else cover up a crime is a huge deal, especially if you're a cop, ESPECIALLY if you're a cop that is doing it on duty.

Any position I have ever held would have been terminated ON THE SPOT if I had been caught doing something like this(short of the military, I wouldn't have been terminated on the spot but I was only a PFC at SOI at the time so I would have certainly been dropped to the legal platoon on the spot and they would have sorted it out later).
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:07:46 PM EST
Many years ago I had a girlfriend for a couple of years that was friends with a bunch of cops' wives. Whenever we went out drinking with that group barhopping, clubbing, bowling, parties, etc, the cops always drove because they had their "get out of jail free card" or "free pass" as they put it (their badge). Not hating, I never had to drive . (Don't do dumb stuff like that nowadays of course)
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 12:21:09 PM EST

Originally Posted By LANCEMAN:
Many years ago I had a girlfriend for a couple of years that was friends with a bunch of cops' wives. Whenever we went out drinking with that group barhopping, clubbing, bowling, parties, etc, the cops always drove because they had their "get out of jail free card" or "free pass" as they put it (their badge). Not hating, I never had to drive . (Don't do dumb stuff like that nowadays of course)

When I was younger a local officer bought all the alcohol for a friend of mine when he was 16-18 y/o. Judging from what I hear, things have gotten worse, not better.
Top Top