Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2001 6:32:35 AM EDT
There's been some debate on this subject.  One line of reasoning goes:
-LEGP has a heavy barrell
-Thus it is an 'HBAR'
-Thus it is unregulated by state law.

As I waited for my LEGP, my FFL & I sorted through this.  We concluded that the LEGP, and virtually every other AR-15, is regulated in MD.

Here's the excerpt from the 2001 MD Annotated Code which we used as guidance:

§ 441.
Crimes and Punishments  
      (a)      In this subheading the following words have the meanings indicated.
      (b)      Blah, blah, blah...
      (c)      Blah, blah ...
      (d)      "Assault weapon" means any of the following specific firearms or their copies regardless of which company produced and manufactured that firearm:
            (1)      American Arms Spectre da Semiautomatic carbine;
            (2)      AK-47 in all forms;
            (3)      Algimec AGM-1 type semi-auto;
            (4)      AR 100 type semi-auto;
            (5)      AR 180 type semi-auto;
            (6)      Argentine L.S.R. semi-auto;
            (7)      Australian Automatic Arms SAR type semi-auto;
            (8)      Auto-Ordnance Thompson M1 and 1927 semi-automatics;
            (9)      Barrett light .50 cal. semi-auto;
            (10)      Beretta AR70 type semi-auto;
            (11)      Bushmaster semi-auto rifle;
            (12)      Calico models M-100 and M-900;
            (13)      CIS SR 88 type semi-auto;
            (14)      Claridge HI TEC C-9 carbines;
            (15)      Colt AR-15, CAR-15, and all imitations except Colt AR-15 Sporter H-BAR rifle;

There's more in the section but it would seem to me that the LEGP is an "assault weapon" as far as MD is concerned.  As such, it is regulated, just like a handgun.  My Colt HBAR is the exempted 'sporter.'

I'd be interested in a counterpoint and I imagine that my dealer would as well.

Cheers,
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 7:00:00 AM EDT
[#1]
According to my FFL (Bay Trading Post in Lusby/Port Republic, Maryland) and also X-ring Supply in Newark (might be a little off), Delaware (they sell lots of Bushmasters to MD residents), the MD State Police has stated that Bushmasters and Armalites may be sold as unregulated weapons.  I believe their reasoning was that all of their rifles were HBARs, and thus target rifles.  I was thinking about the LEGP, but I doubted my FFL would go for the M4 profile being an HBAR, since it has the step in it.  Call the MDSP up and ask, but be sure to record the phone call (let them know you want to record the call).

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 8:33:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top