Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2005 5:08:24 AM EDT
I have this old laptop, It's a Compaq Prosignia 150, 380 Mhz AMD K6. it's just too slow.  It still works though.

Basically I want to take the LCD screen off the computer and connect it to a portable dvd player because it has a tiny 5.8" screen.
The dvd player has both inputs and outputs for sound and video. I have connected the dvd player to my regular tv to watch dvd movies, and my son has hooked up the PS2 but it's screen is too small to enjoy playing games on it.

Is this even possible? Can I get the LCD off the laptop and connect it to the portable dvd player instead of going to my tv?

I think I will need to wire up a power source for the LCD screen once I remove it from the computer, and then I need to figure out how to get the video jacks wired to connect it to the dvd player output.

Any thoughts? Has anyone done this before?

Thanks in advance.

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 5:45:40 AM EDT
[#1]
i have never done it before, but will ask around, my dad is into electronics engineering....

maybee he will know, but i assure you it can be done
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 5:47:26 AM EDT
[#2]
one thing to be concerned with is the need to know if the prtable dvd player will power such a larger screen
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:06:54 AM EDT
[#3]
It's probably possible. However by the time you get all the parts bought and invest your time building it, it wall have been cheaper to just buy one. The laptop screen is just a display, showing you what the laptop video components are producing. It has no rendering capabilities of it's own.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:10:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Probably not worth it once you go through the effort to dissect it and then find a driver board to run the thing. You're better off leaving it as isand turn it into a digital picture frame.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:15:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Short answer: no. You would need a driver board and a power supply. The driver boards are pricey (unless you get lucky on ebay, but you have to know what you are looking for) and the power supply would have to be custom made
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:14:31 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Short answer: no. You would need a driver board and a power supply. The driver boards are pricey (unless you get lucky on ebay, but you have to know what you are looking for) and the power supply would have to be custom made

Actual short answer is yes… I have seen one done but is not very practical because of expense, scarcity of parts, and unless you are an electronic and electrical whiz.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:43:28 AM EDT
[#7]
This is incredibly easy. Just attach it with a couple lengths of duct tape. Good to go.

Oh, wait, you want to see stuff on the screen. Never mind.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 10:38:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the replies, it looks more difficult than I imagined, maybee I'll try it one day for kicks if I can find everything I need.

I have one question, but it's late and I doubt I can formulate it right now.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:21:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:25:09 AM EDT
[#10]
just get one of these to connect the two together. Does your laptop do USB 2.0?

www.ati.com/products/tvwonderusb20/
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:28:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top