Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/13/2005 1:59:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2005 2:21:42 PM EDT by Knight_Shadow]
the la ag charger the owners with 34 counts of negligent homicide

eta
owners of st. rita's nursing home did not move the patients out before the hurricane hit. la ag says as a nursing home they have to move all the patients out before the storm hit. story is still breaking.

the 2 owners mable mangano and salvador mangano sr. have turned themselves in.

news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=578&u=/nm/20050913/ts_nm/katrina_charges_dc_2

they need to tie them to a bed and slowly drown them! they knew a hurricane was coming and was warned by officials they needed to move the people out. one nurse said they did not have enough boats. THEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN MOVED BEFORE THE HURRICAN HIT!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 2:25:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2005 2:25:31 PM EDT by Fenian]
It's all Bush's fault!!

There...I finally got to be the first one hehe.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:00:21 PM EDT
I have no problem charging the owners but I wonder if they will press charges if any one drowns at a state run institute?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:01:29 PM EDT
Yeah, they quoted an "official" today with some lame "signal got crossed" line today.

Why are we just hearing about it now? Because the cowards who left them fled without telling a soul, that's why.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:08:02 PM EDT
as sad as it is, the people that left were saving they're lives and knew they could not while saving those. Charging them with the deaths is stupid. They should sue mother nature.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:10:45 PM EDT
Luxan, its a freakin' nursing home. Those people were paid to take care of the old folks, not abandon them. They had a chance to help them out and didnt. And folks in a nursing home aren't like those in the rest of the city. They arent in the home because they are self reliant, self sufficient people. They are there because they need others help.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:13:22 PM EDT
From the article, it also seems that there were buses that were volunteered to move them but the owners declined them.............that's pretty damn negligent
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:13:37 PM EDT
So you are saying if your daughter worked there you would rather have seen her die trying to help those people after say 1/2 of the other employees already abonded them and the crew?

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:29:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Luxan:
So you are saying if your daughter worked there you would rather have seen her die trying to help those people after say 1/2 of the other employees already abonded them and the crew?

It would of been my daughter's responsbility to help those people. If any of the caretakers there are registered nurses, they will most likely lose their licenses for not helping those in their care.

I think the owners should be charged, and I hope the state revokes their license to operate as a nursing facility within the state.

-d
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:29:36 PM EDT

The employees aren't being charged, the owner is.

And if I had a daughter, I would expect her to risk death before abandoning 34 of the people she is charged with protecting.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:40:14 PM EDT
How many counts did he charge the mayor with?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:01:00 PM EDT
I'll be impressed when the indictments against the mayor and governor come down
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:16:07 PM EDT

what would you want someone to do if that was your mom, dad or one of your grandparents in that place? just leave them to die!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:17:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By sharky30:
I'll be impressed when the indictments against the mayor and governor come down

+1.

Until then, the rest is just political posturing....
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:36:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Knight_Shadow:

what would you want someone to do if that was your mom, dad or one of your grandparents in that place? just leave them to die!

I'd go get them myself
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:38:32 PM EDT

as sad as it is, the people that left were saving they're lives and knew they could not while saving those. Charging them with the deaths is stupid. They should sue mother nature.

"Duty to care".
Look it up. They're done and there's no way around it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:47:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2005 6:51:53 PM EDT by Jerret]

I'd go get them myself

Exactly. Actually you abandoned them once(to die basically there) and they abandoned them the second time, what's the difference????

I was in a nursing home once and never again will I go into one. It's just so sad and depressing. I was in the full care portion or whatever where the people there are too weak or sick to be moved even.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:05:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SJSAMPLE:

"Duty to care".

Exactly.

The owners had a CONTRACTUAL OBLIGATION - which is different from being a Good Samaritan or whatever.

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:07:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

"Duty to care".

Exactly.

The owners had a CONTRACTUAL OBLIGATION - which is different from being a Good Samaritan or whatever.

Do contracts apply in the face of 'acts of God'?

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:11:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By arowneragain:

"Duty to care".

Exactly.

I don't know the rules for nurses but I have been told an EMT has no duty to act it it will put him in serious danger.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:15:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2005 7:16:45 PM EDT by Lockedon]

"Duty to care".

Exactly.

[rant] You know, that "acts of god" BULLSHIT REALLY pisses me off! There is hardly such an act that cannot be forseen or prevented.
Perfect example: Long time ago, my next door neighbors tree was struck by lighting. It was obvious that the tree was dead/dying and yet he let it be. That is until one long after, day a dead limb broke off, and came crashing down into the back half of my mustang.
I tried everything to hold him accountable for HIS negligence, but in florida it was a holy "act of god" so my insurance had to cover it, and I had to pay the deductable
Same thing applies with Katrina. Nothing happend that was unforseen or unexpected.
That law really needs to go! There is no such thing, It's nothing more than part of the American way of blaming it on someone else. [/rant]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:18:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Lockedon:

"Duty to care".

Exactly.

[rant] You know, that "acts of god" BULLSHIT REALLY pisses me off! There is hardly such an act that cannot be forseen or prevented.
Perfect example: Long time ago, my next door neighbors tree was struck by lighting. It was obvious that the tree was dead/dying and yet he let it be. That is until one long after, day a dead limb broke off, and came crashing down into the back half of my mustang.
I tried everything to hold him accountable for HIS negligence, but in florida it was a holy "act of god" so my insurance had to cover it, and I had to pay the deductable
Same thing applies with Katrina. Nothing happend that was unforseen or unexpected.
That law really needs to go!

While I agree to an extent, I'm not sure where to draw the line on 'acts of God'.

Hurricane? Yeah, they shoulda moved.

Tree fell on your car after it was dead for a year? Yeah, shoulda seen that one coming.

But what of earthquakes? Can we fall back on 'they've been predicting this for years'?

What about lesser-force hurricanes? Where would be the point where we drew the line between evacuating and not evbacuating, with regards to the nurse's duty?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:39:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2005 8:39:51 PM EDT by Max_Mike]

You know you ought to bother to educate yourself to at least know some of the facts… The owners turned down repeated offers to evacuate the home BEFORE the storm and then ABANDONED those people when the water came.

When the owners turned down the offers to evacuate they accepted a LEGAL and MORAL obligation to stick it out and take care of those people literally come hell or high water.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:35:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Jerret:

I'd go get them myself

Exactly. Actually you abandoned them once(to die basically there) and they abandoned them the second time, what's the difference????

I was in a nursing home once and never again will I go into one. It's just so sad and depressing. I was in the full care portion or whatever where the people there are too weak or sick to be moved even.

When my mom had a stroke the social workers refused to let her come home, they said I was unable to care for her. Hospice was of no help as supposably she was not terminally ill. So my mom had to suffer in a nursing home for 3 months before she finally died. She had a DNR on her chart but when she had yet another stroke (I went everyday but was not there that morning so I do not know what really happened) they did it anyway and she lay for 3 more days in a hospital going through the throes of death and being kept on life support before a doctor decided she was really dead (she was really dead when she got there) and was removed from life support.

Not everyone in a nursing home is dumped by an uncaring family. Some people cannot be cared for out of a medical facility and sometimes you don't get any say in the matter.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:53:42 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Max_Mike:
You know you ought to bother to educate yourself to at least know some of the facts… The owners turned down repeated offers to evacuate the home BEFORE the storm and then ABANDONED those people when the water came.

When the owners turned down the offers to evacuate they accepted a LEGAL and MORAL obligation to stick it out and take care of those people literally come hell or high water.

How is packing people who are half dead into a BUS, going to do any good? How many would have died from sitting on a bus? Then where do you put them? The stadium? What a great idea that would have been.

The owners had no options. They are most likely not allowed to move them anywhere but maybe to a hospital or another care facility. Which were all being evacted.

You should be angery at the people who abandoned them there in the first place.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:57:04 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Q3131A:
How many counts did he charge the mayor with?

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:58:06 AM EDT

Originally Posted By FunYun1983:

How is packing people who are half dead into a BUS, going to do any good? How many would have died from sitting on a bus? Then where do you put them? The stadium? What a great idea that would have been.

The owners had no options. They are most likely not allowed to move them anywhere but maybe to a hospital or another care facility. Which were all being evacted.

Oh boy...
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:59:39 AM EDT
I doubt the AG will be able to make the charges stick. The care facility owners will be sucessful in their defense that the St. Bernard Parrish civil authorities waited too long before the mandatory evacuation notice, and that by that time, there was no practical means to evacuate the facility.

I'm not saying that I necessarily agree with that; just saying that's the way I predict it will shake out.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:01:05 AM EDT
they should be charged

the gov and mayor should also be getting the blame and removed

them a**hats should quit blaming the president, when its initially the mayor of NO and gov or LA to get thier s*it together in the first place

you dont just leave 34 PEOPLE to fate if they are in your care
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:01:58 AM EDT

Utter Bullshit…

The owners clearly had options the Parish offered to evacuate the residents.

You don't know how or why those people were there for you to make assumptions about that is asinine…but whatever the reason they were there it in no way absolves the caretakers from their responsibilities, the 2 are not related.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:05:21 AM EDT
So is the state then saying that failure to evacuate prior to the storm is negligent?

Does that apply to the tens of thousands of people who chose to stay? Were they all negligent?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:10:10 AM EDT
Alot of nursing home owners a very sleazy. A jury is going to send them to prison for a LONG time if this case makes it to trial.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:11:08 AM EDT

I say let the gators eat the owners. Sadly, they probably will get a fine and do some easy time if they get any. Meanwhile, 34 parents are dead, all because someone didn't give a damn about them because they were old!!!!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:15:21 AM EDT
Where would you put them? Nursing home patients may require complex care.

Yes it is a terrible event, but where would they move the patients? Who would help them move the patients?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:17:35 AM EDT

Originally Posted By tfod:

Yes it is a terrible event, but where would they move the patients? Who would help them move the patients?

Sorry but that would be the care providers problem to figure out.

Just because they don't have a readily available solution does not absolve them of their responsibilities.

Google " Duty to act and a breech of that duty".
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:23:46 AM EDT
My question is who indicted them? Grand juries convening already? I assume negl homicide is a state charge. Why did they surrender to medicaid fraud investigators? They would be feds.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:25:08 AM EDT
Unfortunately as a healthcare professional, it would have been my duty to stay with them until they were safe. A nurse would have done the same. The patients are our responsibility and to abandon then goes against everything we work for. Even the most cold hearted nurse would have stayed and aided the old people. They cant help themselves, its different the the dumbasses that chose to stay.

The owners should be charged with a higher degree of homicide. They knowingly did nothing. Its beyond negligence.

And to some degree as other posters have pointed out, the relatives bear some responsibility.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:26:27 AM EDT

Utter Bullshit…

The owners clearly had options the Parish offered to evacuate the residents.

You don't know how or why those people were there for you to make assumptions about that is asinine…but whatever the reason they were there it in no way absolves the caretakers from their responsibilities, the 2 are not related.

Holy shit there is something that I agree with mike about! The end is near!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:26:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By operatorerror:

Just because they don't have a readily available solution does not absolve them of their responsibilities.

Some people just don’t understand the concept of caregiver and the responsibility of the owners of this nursing home.

When the owner accepted the resident in to their nursing home the owners assumed the responsibility/duty to take care of these people even in a situation like this… ESPECIALLY for those residents that could not take care of themselves.

What you have in this situation is virtually the same thing as a child-parent relationship as far as care and protection goes… with the owners accepting the parent role.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:28:59 AM EDT
But they sure are willing to take the old folks money. Its really hard to find a good nursing home and I bet this is one of the shittier ones. The other nursing homes were evacuated and the residents transfered. That tells you this was a crap operation to begin with.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:47:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/14/2005 11:23:54 AM EDT by tfod]

You replied, but failed to answer the question. We might as well line up and shoot all doctors and nurses whose patients die... because there was no available solution.

It is very easy to talk here now about would have, could have and should have. I will remind everyone here, that you do not have a right to healthcare. The staff that you would like to have take care of people has the right to not show up to work.

In the event of an event like the hurricane, sensible people were getting out of town. This includes healthcare staff. You may like to think the nurses will be there taking care of people, but they have their own families and their own lives to account for.

As people begin not showing up to work, the staff who are fortunate enough to be relieved, may not return. This is their right.

It is a bad situation that may have turned out better in thousands of different choices by thousands of different people, but we are stuck with the present.

This incident is then in the hands of the officials but the broad assumptions and generalizations presented in this topic without complete evidence are not better than looter talk.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:57:09 PM EDT
The problem is that there are not many nurses and doctors at nursing homes. They get by with techs and other low paid staff. They may have a nurse on duty and a doc on call but thats usually about it. In more critical care homes there maybe more nurses and a doc on site.

The owners are getting it because they didnt even try to get these people out.

But you are correct there are a lot assumptions here and I am sure the media is not including every thing.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:59:46 PM EDT

It is very easy to talk here now about would have, could have and should have. I will remind everyone here, that you do not have a right to healthcare. The staff that you would like to have take care of people has the right to not show up to work.

In the event of an event like the hurricane, sensible people were getting out of town. This includes healthcare staff. You may like to think the nurses will be there taking care of people, but they have their own families and their own lives to account for.

As people begin not showing up to work, the staff who are fortunate enough to be relieved, may not return. This is their right.

Actually this is not true. I work in a hospital and there are always people to stay behind. I've been on "team A" two times, one for hurricane hugo and one for that other big evacuation (I forget the hurricaines name). I am also on team A this year. I have no children or parents to care for (anymore) so it only makes sense that I stay.

Every hospital I've worked in had a hurricaine plan. It's part of living in this area. Team A has to stay until team B is able to show up. We are to bring enough supplies for at least 3 days.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:13:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DzlBenz:
I doubt the AG will be able to make the charges stick. The care facility owners will be sucessful in their defense that the St. Bernard Parrish civil authorities waited too long before the mandatory evacuation notice, and that by that time, there was no practical means to evacuate the facility.

I'm not saying that I necessarily agree with that; just saying that's the way I predict it will shake out.

+1

The nursing home owner's attorney was interviewed last night on television. He laid out the essence of the defense. I am predicting a hung jury.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:28:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By gitarmac:
[

Actually this is not true. I work in a hospital and there are always people to stay behind. I've been on "team A" two times, one for hurricane hugo and one for that other big evacuation (I forget the hurricaines name). I am also on team A this year. I have no children or parents to care for (anymore) so it only makes sense that I stay.

Every hospital I've worked in had a hurricaine plan. It's part of living in this area. Team A has to stay until team B is able to show up. We are to bring enough supplies for at least 3 days.

What I said is true. Staff still has the right to not go to work (unless along the lines of active duty military). Then throw in registry staff and travelers. It is admirable that the people do show up, but it is not abandonment if they quit, and do not arrive at work.

Don’t throw away rights to feelings or assumptions.

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:38:13 PM EDT
Is this the same nursing home someone on here posted about just before the hurricane? I can't remember his name, but he posted asking for prayer for his Mom who stayed behind to halp care for the old folks after the owners abandoned them.

NMSight
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:49:43 PM EDT

You replied, but failed to answer the question. We might as well line up and shoot all doctors and nurses whose patients die... because there was no available solution.

It is a bad situation that may have turned out better in thousands of different choices by thousands of different people, but we are stuck with the present.

This incident is then in the hands of the officials but the broad assumptions and generalizations presented in this topic without complete evidence are not better than looter talk.

I am not blaming the staff. They are employees. You are correct, they may choose to not show up to work. Then they will have to look at themselves in the mirror for the remainder of their miserable lives knowing that they contributed to the deaths of 34 helpless people who were dependent upon them for their everyday care. Have you ever been to a nursing home? I have as part of my job. People are put there for a reason. Usually because they are unable to care for themselves.

I am however blaming the owners of the nursing home for negligence in not providing for the basic safety of these helpless patients who were put in the care of the hospitals. The owners are responsible for every aspect of the patients/tenants lives. This includes moving them to safety in time of emergency. Insurance companies and families pay very dearly for these people to be provided with a safe living environment. You state that you do not have a right to healthcare. These people paid for it, they have every right.

This is probably a lawyer's dream.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:53:53 PM EDT
Also, unless the rules are different in LA, if medical staff left while not properly relieved they could possibly be charged with abandonment. I cannot, and would not ever leave a patient, especially a helpless one, unattended and cared for.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:15:56 AM EDT

Originally Posted By NMSight:
Is this the same nursing home someone on here posted about just before the hurricane? I can't remember his name, but he posted asking for prayer for his Mom who stayed behind to halp care for the old folks after the owners abandoned them.

NMSight

I've been wondering about that myself.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:20:21 AM EDT
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=383808

I don't think it's the same nursing home as in this post.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:27:24 AM EDT

Where was the owner? My wife is in a nursing home, and when I looked around, I noticed that not a single one in the area is owned by someone in the area. If the owners weren't in the NO area at the time, it may have been physically impossible for them to do something. Were they close by just before the storm hit?

How is packing people who are half dead into a BUS, going to do any good? How many would have died from sitting on a bus? Then where do you put them?

Many nursing home patients were taken to the SuperDome. They could have been taken there.

I still don't understand why some people believe that medical professionals would have stuck around. When there was a bomb threat at a local hospital, I saw the nurses and doctors abandon ship like rats. I pushed my wife's wheelchair and IV out the door myself. When I was at St Francis hospital in Greenville, SC, I saw a doctor all but turn into George Constanza running out of the birthday party when there was a little smoke on the floor.z
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top