BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2004 6:13:21 AM EDT
LAPD's John Miller Had Gun On NYC Flight

Email This Story
Print This Story  
Sep 24, 2004 6:38 am US/Eastern
(1010 WINS) LOS ANGELES The head of the Police Department's counterterrorism bureau was ``extraordinarily embarrassed'' for being detained after trying to board a flight with a loaded gun in his luggage.

John Miller, commanding officer of the Critical Incident Management Bureau, was off duty and heading to New York with his family when security officials at Los Angeles International Airport discovered the .38-caliber Smith & Wesson in his bag about 12:10 p.m. Thursday, Transportation Security Administration spokesman Nico Melendez said.

Miller is authorized to carry the weapon, but he failed to disclose he was traveling with the gun.

Police Chief William Bratton said he spoke with Miller, who was ``extraordinarily embarrassed'' by the incident.

``It's a human mistake that was made,'' Bratton said. ``John is certainly wishing it didn't happen.''

Miller was briefly detained before he and his family were permitted to board their scheduled flight. The gun was confiscated and will be released to the Police Department.

``He knows the airport procedures. ... He didn't realize he had it,'' said Lt. Horace Frank, an aide to Miller. ``It was an oversight.''

Bratton, who hired Miller as his spokesman when he was New York City police commissioner, then recruited him to come to Los Angeles, ordered an administrative investigation. Under federal rules, Miller could face a civil fine up to $3,000.

Police officers may only travel on an airplane with a weapon if the officer is on duty and has a department letter authorizing them to travel, said Larry Fetters, the TSA federal security director at LAX.

Miller was on his way to New York to tape a farewell message to ABC's Barbara Walters, who is retiring. Before joining the LAPD, Miller co-anchored the network's ``20/20'' news magazine with Walters.

Bratton said the incident should be a reminder to all law enforcement officers to be more conscious about where they carry their weapon. He also said that he had no doubt that Miller made a simple mistake.

The police chief, who called the incident an embarrassment to the department, said jokingly ``that I hope he and his family were not planning to hijack and fly off to Cuba or some place.''

The TSA has confiscated more than 2,000 guns at airport security checkpoints Since February 2002.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:18:27 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

``It's a human mistake that was made,'' Bratton said. ``John is certainly wishing it didn't happen.''

We get arrested and prosecuted for "human" mistakes.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:24:57 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, they're more special than us though. We're just common folk.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:25:58 AM EDT
[#3]
shit like this is why cops get a bad rap
any civilian doing that would be charged
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:30:26 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, they're more special than us though. We're just common folk.

Yeah.

Yet amazingly enough, this member of the common folk can't imagine misplacing a loaded handgun.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:30:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Great.  Just another "we're special and will NEVER be treated like you" moment.

Fucktards.  People like this will NEVER earn the trust and respect of the citizens they supposedly serve because they will NEVER have to deal with the HORSESHIT we do.  They will ALWAYS get a free pass or a slap on the wrist for the very same thing that you or I would end up losing our jobs and face financial ruin and our lives forever altered.  For them it's just an "extraordinarily embarrasing mistake."

Again, I'll give the INDIVIDUAL cop the benefit of the doubt and treat them with respect until they prove otherwise but the SYSTEM can kiss my hairy ass.

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:44:59 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Yet amazingly enough, this member of the common folk can't imagine misplacing a loaded handgun.

+1

But we HAVE to be paranoid, we don't have a "get out of jail free" badge.

True examples:

- hunting with my LEO brother inlaw.  He pulls out buckshot rounds, I tell him they are illegal, he doesn't care, he's a cop.

- same person, illegally transports deer across county lines and processes it himself w/out getting it tagged and registered

- same person, brags about being able to get out of speeding tickets

- same person, gets us thrown out of the range because he violates their rules and brings loaded guns through the door.  Gets pissed, thinks HE should be exempt

- same person, during his interview for his job both officers interviewing him lay out how they protect their own, how you dont' arrest a cop you pull  over for drinking and driving
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:47:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Who says he's a cop?  I doubt he's PC 830.1 or any of the other 830 sections.  Most likely he's a civilian employed by the department and given a CCW to carry.  I don't see how he could pass POST guidelines, unless Bratton had him go through LAPDs academy.   He used to be a reporter, Bratton hired him as a press information officer, then he moved him to LA as some staff position.  I doubt he's ever been a cop.

What a moron.  I go through apoplectic fits before a trip, making sure that not one loose round has migrated somewhere in the luggage.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:49:40 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

But we HAVE to be paranoid, we don't have a "get out of jail free" badge.

True examples:

- hunting with my LEO brother inlaw.  He pulls out buckshot rounds, I tell him they are illegal, he doesn't care, he's a cop.

- same person, illegally transports deer across county lines and processes it himself w/out getting it tagged and registered

- same person, brags about being able to get out of speeding tickets

- same person, gets us thrown out of the range because he violates their rules and brings loaded guns through the door.  Gets pissed, thinks HE should be exempt

- same person, during his interview for his job both officers interviewing him lay out how they protect their own, how you dont' arrest a cop you pull  over for drinking and driving

They're not all like that, but it doesn't take too many for them to get a bad wrap.

Police your own or face the consequences of mistrust from the public.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:58:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Bratton = Scumbag
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:01:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Wasn't it just last week the older female librarian was cuffed, stuffed and hauled to jail for having a bookmark that the TSA didn't like???
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:03:01 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Wasn't it just last week the older female librarian was cuffed, stuffed and hauled to jail for having a bookmark that the TSA didn't like???

Dunnno, but at least this officer got home safely.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:05:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:24:59 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Found It.

www.local6.com/news/3738885/detail.html

Teacher Arrested After Bookmark Called Concealed Weapon

POSTED: 10:17 am EDT September 17, 2004
TAMPA, Fla. -- A weight may soon be lifted off a Maryland woman charged with carrying a concealed weapon in an airport.

It wasn't a gun or a knife. It was a weighted bookmark.

Kathryn Harrington was flying home from vacation last month when screeners at the Tampa, Fla., airport found her bookmark. It's an 8.5-inch leather strip with small lead weights at each end.

Airport police said it resembled a weighted weapon that could be used to knock people unconscious. So the 52-year-old special education teacher was handcuffed, put into a police car, and charged with carrying a concealed weapon.

She faced a possible criminal trial and a $10,000 fine. But the state declined to prosecute, and the Transportation Security Administration said it probably won't impose a fine.

Harrington said she'll never again carry her bookmark into an airport
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:27:11 AM EDT
[#14]

The police chief, who called the incident an embarrassment to the department, said jokingly ``that I hope he and his family were not planning to hijack and fly off to Cuba or some place.''

Yep.  If you or I'd have made that kind of joke, a douchebag like Bratton would have our asses in the klink.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:38:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:38:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:48:41 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
LAPD's John Miller Had Gun On NYC Flight

``He knows the airport procedures. ... He didn't realize he had it,'' said Lt. Horace Frank, an aide to Miller. ``It was an oversight.''

He didn't realize he had it?  What a fool.  I'm sure a lot of us would get away with that excuse.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:00:27 AM EDT
[#18]
While I see the double standard. It exists for others as well

Barry Switzer comes to mind.

I think if you are a 'clean citizen' and have a ccw, or live where a ccw is not necessary, (VT) then you should get a fine for this.  $100 reminder not to do it again, and go on with your live.

SHould be the same standard for cops or civilians.

TXL
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:04:18 AM EDT
[#19]
yep, the olde double standard  
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:12:16 AM EDT
[#20]
No charges?  Indiana had a member of its legislature areested and charged in KY for the same offense!  His excuse was that he had "forgotten" it was in his breifcase!  I don't know about the majority of you, but I have NEVER forgotten I was in possesion of a concealed firearm.  This asshat should be treated like everyone else and charged with the crime he committed!

BTW:  Congressman J. Hostettler (the IN guy arrested) is an outspoken defender of the 2nd, maybe that is why he is now a criminal?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:17:58 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm still stuck on the "Barbra Walters" part.  How do you go from being her co-anchor to heading up an anti-terrorist unit?

Cali has GOT to be the wierdest place on earth.

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:47:30 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No kidding. I wonder how many people in LA will be able to use that excuse if one of Bratton's cops busts a guy for doing something similiar?

Heheheh. Riiiiiiight.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:01:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:15:22 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Prosecution is rare in these types of incidents.  However the cop involved should certainly be fired.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:17:44 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

try and find evidence of anyone being convicted of accidently carrying a weapon through the airport checkpoints. it happens hundreds of times every day, criminal charges are rare.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:19:45 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

try and find evidence of anyone being convicted of accidently carrying a weapon through the airport checkpoints. it happens hundreds of times every day, criminal charges are rare.

Congressman John Hostetller of Indiana was charged with a misdemeanor for being caught in the Louisville, Ky airport security check with a firearm in his breifcase!

ETA: Convicted?  He plead guilty, but WOULD have been convicted had he chose to fight it!

www.weht.com/Global/story.asp?S=2157447

Oh and the story adds that there have been 8 prior convictions for the same offense just in Louisville airport alone!
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:20:51 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
...very same thing that you or I would end up losing our jobs...

In a perfect word off duty conduct would not effect anyones job. You do not belong to your employer. what you do outside of the 40hours a week he is paying you for is not your employers business.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:28:49 PM EDT
[#28]
They only prosecute the little people.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:32:32 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dunnno, but at least this officer got home safely.

And at least his dog got home safely, too......
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:34:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Is this the same guy who interviewed Osama Bin Layden in 1998?

CRC
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top