Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/8/2010 6:54:01 AM EDT
LAPD brass plead for calm; protesters egg station

Los Angeles police officers respond by firing nonlethal foam projectiles toward apartment buildings rooftops, as protesters climbed atop and threw obj AP – Los Angeles police officers respond by firing nonlethal foam projectiles toward apartment buildings rooftops, …

By RAQUEL MARIA DILLON, Associated Press Writer Raquel Maria Dillon, Associated Press Writer – 1 hr 6 mins ago

LOS ANGELES – Police Chief Charlie Beck pleaded for calm and vowed his department would conduct an exhaustive investigation into a bicycle officer's fatal shooting of a drunken day laborer with a knife.

But his words did little to dissuade demonstrators, who spilled into the streets for a second straight night Tuesday — some to pray and light candles and others to pelt a police station near downtown Los Angeles with eggs, rocks and bottles.

Police reported 22 arrests on Tuesday night, mainly for failure to disperse and unlawful assembly, Officer Karen Rayner said.

Officers fired at least two rounds of nonlethal foam projectiles at demonstrators, Rayner said.

At least one officer and a Univision reporter were slightly injured by thrown or slingshot-propelled objects, police told City News Service, and a man who fell off his bicycle suffered a head wound.

Some protesters pushed rolling metal trash bins at officers and tossed household items from apartment buildings.

"People were throwing televisions, air conditioning units, miscellaneous furniture and other objects from the windows," Lt. Cory Palka said.

Guatemalan immigrant Manuel Jamines, 37, was shot twice by a police officer Sunday afternoon near MacArthur Park, a poor neighborhood packed with recent immigrants from Central America.

In the wake of the protests, authorities scheduled a community meeting for Wednesday evening at a local school.

On Monday, four people were arrested on suspicion of misdemeanor inciting a riot, and others threw rocks and bottles at police, slightly injuring three officers, Officer Bruce Borihanh said.

On Tuesday, about 300 protesters took their complaints to the police station only two blocks from where Jamines died, said Lt. Andrew Neiman. Officers tried to move the demonstrators away from the station and keep them away from the park.

A citywide tactical alert was called to free up officers to respond to the area, Rayner said.

Beck said the incident involving Jamines started when someone flagged down three bicycle officers to tell them a man was threatening people with a knife.

The officers approached the suspect and told him in Spanish and English to put down the weapon. Instead, Jamines raised the knife above his head and lunged at Officer Frank Hernandez, a 13-year veteran of the department, Beck said.

Eyewitness accounts from six civilians, nine police personnel and two fire department staff indicate Hernandez fired twice "in immediate defense of life," Beck said. Jamines, 37, died at the scene.

Investigators recovered a bloody, 6-inch knife at the scene but didn't know where the blood came from.

"This was a very brief moment in time, just 40 seconds between first contact and the time of the shooting," Beck said.

Beck said the timeline was based on preliminary interviews. He said the department's Force Investigation Division will conduct a thorough, transparent probe.

The three officers involved in the shooting have been temporarily reassigned during the investigation.

Jamines had a wife and three children — ages 13, 6 and 8 — in his hometown of Mazatenango, Guatemala, according to his cousin Juan Jaminez, 38. He came to the United States six years ago to find work as a day laborer and spent most of his time looking for jobs in a Home Depot parking lot near his home.

Jamines was drunk but not dangerous, his cousin and neighbors said.

"Killing a drunk isn't right," said Juan Jaminez, also a day laborer. He and others described Jamines as a friendly, hardworking man who liked to drink on the weekends but wasn't violent.

"The officer who did this should be subject to discipline and a thorough investigation," said Juan Flores, 39, a cook at a downtown restaurant who knew Jamines. "We want to know, is he on vacation or is he fired?"

Flores said the officers should have used a non-lethal weapon to subdue Jamines.

Beck said the officer involved in the shooting didn't have a baton or stun gun with him. He said bicycle officers frequently do not carry the selection of non-lethal weapons found in patrol cars.

Juana Neri, 57, a Mexican immigrant housewife who lives nearby, pushed her grocery bag in a baby stroller past the corner where Jamines was killed.

"It's bad, what the police did, but what's worse is the silly stuff that people were doing here," she said, referring to Monday's violence. "We are not in our country, and with the problems that Hispanic immigrants have these days, it's better not to cause problems."

MacArthur Park was the site of a May 1, 2007, clash in which police officers pummeled immigration rights marchers and reporters with batons and shot rubber bullets into the crowd. Dozens of protesters and journalists were injured. Police said it began with a group of "agitators" outside the park throwing objects at officers.

My thoughts:

Drunk asshole with bloody knife lunges at officer by ALL witness accounts-cops and civilians, and is shot and killed and people want to riot? What the fuck?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:08:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
What the fuck?

Guatamalan version of the costco shooting thread.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:09:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Beat me to this thread:

Why is there even a question about the shooting?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:10:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

<snip>

My thoughts:

Drunk asshole with bloody knife lunges at officer by ALL witness accounts-cops and civilians, and is shot and killed and people want to riot? What the fuck?

Agreed it was a good shoot...

Rioters already prone to riot just looking for an excuse to have one...
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:10:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I say let them riot! It will be wonderful  to see illegal aliens causing mayhem on a mass scale. It will certainly help the "open borders" cause.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:11:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Mi bebé no hacer nada!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:13:43 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

<snip>

My thoughts:

It boils down to that and the "Kill Whitey" mentality that some* people seem to have.

*Not all people, not any people in particular, not any specific color, or religion, or sex, or orientation necessarily...

JUST MAKING MYSELF CLEAR.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:13:49 AM EDT
[#7]

I stayed out of that thread.

Having said that, I dunno how any reasonable person could look at this situation and think anything wrong happened. You don't think that one of those SEVENTEEN fucking witnesses would have been on the news by now saying, "He didn't do nothing wrong and the cops just shot him down" if there was ANY doubt about it? Bullshit. The guy played a very stupid game and won the grand prize, end of story.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:14:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Sanctuary City, for the win!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:14:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Just doing jobs that US citizens won't do.....
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:16:22 AM EDT
[#10]
So they make it a sanctuary city and tell people that it's just fine when they break laws, then they wonder why people break laws. There's some kind of logic there, although I'm not sure what it is.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:19:16 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I stayed out of that thread.

Having said that, I dunno how any reasonable person could look at this situation and think anything wrong happened. You don't think that one of those SEVENTEEN fucking witnesses would have been on the news by now saying, "He didn't do nothing wrong and the cops just shot him down" if there was ANY doubt about it? Bullshit. The guy played a very stupid game and won the grand prize, end of story.

From the LA Police union's statement:

Various community "activists," including the Revolutionary Communist
Party, are attempting to gin this shooting up into a controversy,
agitating a small handful of others to conduct "protests" of this
shooting. The pathetic attempt to excuse the armed advance on the
responding officers by claiming the man "did not speak English" only
highlights the inanity of the "protest." For the record, the officers
gave him commands in English and Spanish, not that it matters because
getting drunk and threatening bystanders and then LAPD officers with a
knife is dangerous and self-destructive in any language.

It's the same story, whether it's CA or NY, and always a racial component.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:24:23 AM EDT
[#12]
I understand about the usual asshole agitators but the article says 300 people were there. Some of them of course were there peacefully- praying etc....but it sounds like several hundred were there to start some shit. They need to be put down hard in my opinion-the cops should knock some Goddamn heads in.

I'm hard on cops. I tend to question anything that even gives off a whiff of impropriety but in this case, I just don't see how anyone could look at it as anything other than what it is. In a case like that, I back the cops 100%.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:24:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Beat me to this thread:

Why is there even a question about the shooting?

Because the ethnicity of the dumbass perp makes every cracka involved a racist.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:28:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Fox news just said that the person who was shot was "a day laborer standing on the corner of a Home Depot".

Is this a nice way of saying he was illegal?

Why are people rioting over an ILLEGAL who was threatening a cop and bystanders with a knife?

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:28:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Mi bebé no hacer nada!

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:31:24 AM EDT
[#16]
I can't beleive how the Police over reacted.

Rocks, bottles and TVs thrown from windows and they respond with overwhelming force by shooting foam projectiles!

I mean what illegal doesn't get drunk on the weekends and stammer around with a knife?

Seriously, the over reaction by the illegal community and their quick turn to violence, only lend creedence to the Officer's decision that he was in fact defending himself from immediate threat of serious harm or death.

But of course, this is the kind of stuff the illegal coddling "sanctuary" cities have asked for.
As ye sow...

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:34:02 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Fox news just said that the person who was shot was "a day laborer standing on the corner of a Home Depot".

Why are people rioting over an ILLEGAL who was threatening a cop and bystanders with a knife?

Not just a knife, a bloody knife

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:35:09 AM EDT
[#18]
I say let them riot! It will be wonderful to see illegal aliens causing mayhem on a mass scale. It will certainly help the "open borders" cause.

There is a silver lining in it all I suppose. You will notice after the last rash of car burnings in France that they have taken a hard line- France of all places!  I never thought I would see the day when I could envy them much......
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:36:27 AM EDT
[#19]
You mean people that break immigration laws break other laws as well?

These people seem like a lawless mob to me.  Is this really what we want in our country?

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:37:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Next time the police should let them kill each other.  Then they will complain that the police don't care about them.

Ya can't win with shitheads.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:38:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Is this really what we want in our country?

You have a basic misunderstanding of how things work in this country citizen.....Since when has it been about what WE want in OUR country?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:38:46 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I understand about the usual asshole agitators but the article says 300 people were there. Some of them of course were there peacefully- praying etc....but it sounds like several hundred were there to start some shit. They need to be put down hard in my opinion-the cops should knock some Goddamn heads in.

I'm hard on cops. I tend to question anything that even gives off a whiff of impropriety but in this case, I just don't see how anyone could look at it as anything other than what it is. In a case like that, I back the cops 100%.

I agree with you, but believe me theres a whole lot more than 300 people who'd like to stick it to The Man.

These people have a lot in common with the Rage Boy. Ready to go at the drop of a hat. Don't need much reason at all.

Always down to smash some windows, loot some stores, burn some cruisers, you know... typical hood rat things.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:41:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Someone tossing a TV or air conditioner from an apartment building sounds pretty dangerous.  I'd have video surveillance set up and capture these criminals on film and arrest them.  Secondly, it's the usual suspects trying to get people riled up.  LA cop protects his own life, perhaps saves others from drunken idiot who lunged at the cop with a deadly weapon and was met with same.  That's the definition of appropriate force.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:43:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Someone tossing a TV or air conditioner from an apartment building sounds pretty dangerous. I'd have video surveillance set up and capture these criminals on film and arrest them.

I think they will probably just wait for the vids to show up on Youtube, saves them the trouble of setting up their own cameras! That does bring up a good point though, with that many cops on scene I can't help but wonder if there isn't video from a cruiser, hell even from a curious passerby with a phone/camera.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:43:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Seems like a waste of foam bullets, those things are expensive compared to the old fashioned lead variety.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:45:04 AM EDT
[#26]
sounds like a good shoot and hickory shampoo time for the protesters throwing shit, a hickory shampoo overdose is recommended.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:45:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You mean people that break immigration laws break other laws as well?

These people seem like a lawless mob to me.  Is this really what we want in our country?

If tehy dont like it, Move them back to the shithole country they came from. Better yet, move them back anyway
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:46:39 AM EDT
[#28]

Good Shoot.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:46:44 AM EDT
[#29]
sounds like a good shoot and hickory shampoo time for the protesters throwing shit, a hickory shampoo overdose is recommended.

Hadn't heard of that one before but I agree, they should "lather, rinse, repeat" until the damn bottle is empty!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:50:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Good shoot on the cop's part... they have a target rich environment. Best of luck with that.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:52:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Nope....They are just Americanized now. Would they do this in Mexico. Hell no! They'd get their asses kicked or worse en masse.  Just another day in the life of an American cop. Get called to a tight ass situation. Do your best with the resources you have at hand. Make a split second decision while folks scream for you to "do something quick"  (Like fuck you can't see that already..duh). Then when it doesn't go the way "someone" thinks it should have, you get armchair quarterbacked forever by any and every jackleg wanna be or cop hatin' know-it-all asshat within the area. Now it's all, "Should'a used less lethal, Should'a used Jedi mind tricks, Should'a been well versed in the Kung Pao Lo Mein style of martial arts and disarmed him bare handed, Should'a known how to speak Spanish with a slight Castillian accent NOT that colloquial shit, Shoud'a been trained as a trick shooter......" And so on and so on it goes.

Fact of the matter is some lawyer will get ahold of this. Said lawyer will obviously find that officers in the LAPD have access to less lethal. Then the question will be, "Why not the bike cops?" Of course, this is not withstanding the fact that this was without a doubt, a lethal use of force situation. Then the LAPD will pay out a shit ton of cash to the widow to settle out of court and then it will all be put to rest. Then the bike cops and everyone else will be mandated to carry whatever less lethal they can practically or, impractically not, carry. Seen it first hand..........Just another day.

I'm just gonna go get my cryin' towel and sit down in the corner now. Thanks for listening.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:55:15 AM EDT
[#32]
One one end of the country;

"Shhhhh, let's all be calm and not piss off the illegals!"

At the other end of the country;  

"Shhhh, let's all be careful what we do so we don't piss of the Muslims".

In the meantime, no one gives a fuck who or what pisses off the average tax paying American.  Maybe it's time we started using their tactics.  Seems to work pretty well for the other guy.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:55:44 AM EDT
[#33]
"and others to pelt a police station near downtown Los Angeles with eggs, rocks and bottles. "

"Some protesters pushed rolling metal trash bins at officers and tossed household items from apartment buildings."

"At least one officer and a Univision reporter were slightly injured by thrown or slingshot-propelled objects, police told City News Service, and a man who fell off his bicycle suffered a head wound."

That is dangerous activity, throwing eggs at a building is one thing, vandalism, but nobody gets hurt.....Throwing bottles, using slingshots, rolling metal trash bins (Dumpster?), tossing household items out of windows? that is potential for serious injury and maybe the intent.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:56:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Mi bebé no hacer nada!

I see what you did there...
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:59:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Death is coming and Hell is following after him and it is all going to start in the big cities which have infested themselves

by choice with the filth and corruption of the world's worst.

This sort of shit is going to be so wide-spread in the larger cities soon enough that the US will soon resemble some third world shit-hole.

I foresee an all out battle between MS13 and any and all organized police forces with those of the "whitey clan" caught in the middle ..Look at Mexico or better yet...

Aztlan!

They have been playing chess to make it a reality! The United States has been infiltrated and is on the down hill trek.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:01:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Welcome to the third world. We've let this happen. Just like the slums of Central America.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:08:14 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Welcome to the third world. We've let this happen. Just like the slums of Central America.

With an Islamo-European zest

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:13:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Is LAPD ever going to learn that being "nice" doesn't do much for a MOB?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:21:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Good shoot.  

so take aways are : In LA, you get a mob riot for any shoot whether good or not.  And lunging at an officer with a bloody knife still = "my baby didnt do nuffin".  wow.  

Up here in Seattle the police have been killing people like crazy in the last week or so, and no riots so far thank goodness.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:25:14 AM EDT
[#40]
The invasion by uncivilized third world people continues and our weak tolerant politically correct society is powerless to stop it.

The writer won't even say that they are illegal aliens. I hate what America has become.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:39:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Next time the police should let them kill each other.  Then they will complain that the police don't care about them.

Ya can't win with shitheads.

I dont know.  That first part sure seems like a win.  I can handle a lot of complaining...
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:51:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Someone tossing a TV or air conditioner from an apartment building sounds pretty dangerous.  I'd have video surveillance a sniper set up and to capture these criminals. on film and arrest them.  quote]

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:00:00 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

<snip>

My thoughts:

Exactly.  The first protesters there were shouting "Assassins" and Assassination" which is not something your average day laborer would yell.  Also, the family of the dead guy said they didn't know any of the protesters and the protesters got there before the family did.  These were professional protesters.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:04:34 AM EDT
[#44]
The officers approached the suspect and told him in Spanish and English to put down the weapon. Instead, Jamines raised the knife above his head and lunged at Officer Frank Hernandez, a 13-year veteran of the department, Beck said.

Eyewitness accounts from six civilians, nine police personnel and two fire department staff indicate Hernandez fired twice "in immediate defense of life," Beck said. Jamines, 37, died at the scene.

I fail to see the problem.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:12:10 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I say let them riot! It will be wonderful  to see illegal aliens causing mayhem on a mass scale. It will certainly help the "open borders" cause.

Especially in a ' sanctuary city '. I would not be unhappy to see city hall burn to the ground.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:15:43 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

What's the rule, 21 feet I think an assailant can cover before you draw, sight, and engage?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:20:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Mi bebé no hacer nada!

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:28:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Note the dumbass in the article demanding that the police use non-lethal/less lethal force.

Just like clockwork, "Why didn't they taser the poor shitbird?"

Dumbshit it isn't like the guy was armed with a pair of socks.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:47:53 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I suspect many of those rioting were either illegal or supporters of illegals.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:53:09 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's the rule, 21 feet I think an assailant can cover before you draw, sight, and engage?

It's 21 feet, standing start = 1.5 seconds. Using a timer, my time to react, draw, front sight focus, shoot, is about 1.5 seconds.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top