Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/14/2002 4:36:17 AM EDT
Yet another scandal for the LAPD...It seems some of the LAPDs finest have been forging authorization letters that allow them to buy assault weapons. Of course, none of us lowly citizen scum are allowed to buy ARs, AKs, HKs due to the Caliban. [URL=]http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/nat-gen/2002/mar/14/031403573.html[/URL]
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 4:43:11 AM EDT
Yet more "crime" created by silly, illegal laws. Read: the drug war, as well.
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 4:55:16 AM EDT
Now we'll see who's really above the law!
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 9:08:26 AM EDT
[i]From the L.A. Times Web site, 14 March 02[/i] [b]Officers' Gun Buys Probed[/b] Documents: Letters authorizing police personnel to purchase assault rifles may have been faked, sources say. By MATT LAIT and SCOTT GLOVER, TIMES STAFF WRITERS Los Angeles police officers are under investigation for allegedly using fraudulent documents to purchase law-enforcement-only versions of assault rifles before the weapons were banned, according to law enforcement sources familiar with the investigation. The precise number of officers whose actions are being investigated is unclear, but as many as 40 suspect letters were seized from one gun dealer and many others are under review. Any officer who faked a letter to obtain an assault weapon could be guilty of a felony and could also face LAPD discipline, according to state laws and Police Department guidelines. State and local investigators are scrutinizing letters the officers were required to provide from police superiors stating that they had been given departmental permission to buy the weapons. Investigators suspect that the signatures on many of the letters were forged or that the names of the supervisors were not accurate, according to sources familiar with the probe. Hallye Jordan, a spokeswoman for the California attorney general's office, confirmed Wednesday that her agency had an ongoing investigation regarding the illegal sale and purchase of assault weapons and that some of the transactions may involve police officers. LAPD Cmdr. Tom Lorenzen, who heads that department's Internal Affairs Division, said the Police Department was conducting an investigation of its officers in conjunction with the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms. As of now, he said, no action has been taken against any officers. "We're examining the conditions under which the purchases were made," Lorenzen said. He added that if any documents were forged, that could violate federal law as well as LAPD policy. One law enforcement official who spoke on condition of anonymity said a search warrant served on one gun dealer yielded as many as 40 letters on Police Department letterhead stating that the officers had permission to buy the firearms. Some investigators have indicated that they believe some or all of those letters may be fraudulent. Under the law, a specific allowance for the sale of assault weapons was made for any police officer "authorized by his or her employer to possess or receive the assault weapon." The law defined that authorization as a written certification from the head of the officer's agency and said it must identify the officer and the weapon that the officer was permitted to possess. The law does not specify whether the "head of the agency" would mean that only the top officer, in this case the chief of police, would have the power to issue such an authorization or whether "agency" might be construed as an individual police station or division. (Continued)
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 9:10:35 AM EDT
Police Chief Bernard C. Parks has long been a supporter of strong gun control laws. Early in his tenure as chief, Parks advocated the collection and destruction of all assault rifles in circulation, a position that earned him praise and scorn among police officers. Parks' stance on assault weapons may have led some officers to conclude that department supervisors would not have approved their requests to purchase the guns, some officials suggested. As part of the probe, state and federal investigators have seized documents from gun dealers who sold the weapons to officers. "If the letters were forged, that's not a good thing," said Lawrence Wolff, an Encino gun dealer whose records were seized by investigators from the ATF and the state Department of Justice. "It's like any other forgery. It's pretty rotten." Wolff said he sold 200 to 300 assault rifles to police officers from several Southland agencies before the ban. Among the records seized from Wolff, he said, were letters that officers said were signed by supervisors. Wolff said he had no idea whether any of those letters were forged. The weapons that officers purchased from dealers before the ban went into effect were discounted. Wolff said he sold assault rifles to officers at $800 apiece, although a private citizen would have paid as much as $2,500 for a similarly equipped weapon. Such discounts were common among dealers who were selling to police, Wolff said. [url]http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-000018727mar14.story?coll=la%2Dheadlines%2Dcalifornia[/url]
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 9:16:06 AM EDT
So, what kind of "assault-style weapon" is a dealer going to sell to a cop for $800 that usually runs (strike that, used to run) citizens $2500? Something full-auto? That's quite the markup, BTW.
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 9:19:13 AM EDT
Police Chief Bernard C. Parks has long been a supporter of strong gun control laws. Early in his tenure as chief, Parks advocated the collection and destruction of all assault rifles in circulation
View Quote
Collection and destruction? You gotta ask these folks, "Are you prepared to die or send others to their deaths to accomplish your goal?"
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 9:23:28 AM EDT
I think the 2500.00 vs. 800.00 is referring to pre-ban rifles vs. LE models.
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 9:24:54 AM EDT
what Jarhead said
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 9:35:11 AM EDT
What does the term “Southland” mean? Is that Californian for all of southern CA? Thanks, Mike
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 9:39:10 AM EDT
Fuck those police officers, they broke the laws of the land, and they need to pay for it like the rest of us. Noone is above the law. throw the book at them, send them to upstate Chino, and learn how Tyrone wants to bunk with them. Learn about the big black cold sausage. Flame away, but if you or I were caught with one, we be learning the same. c-rock
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 9:45:21 AM EDT
Originally Posted By flashman: What does the term “Southland” mean? Is that Californian for all of southern CA? Thanks, Mike
View Quote
Sorta. Basically the northern tip of LA to the Mexican border.
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 9:46:47 AM EDT
[yawn] Another LA Times Witchhunt. Screw the Caliban. Just goes to prove what actual beat officers think of our stupid gun laws. Never believe what the chief's say, they are too political. Besides, who has a greater likelyhood of armed thugs coming to their house seeking revenge: joe citizen or an LAPD officer? I agree that its a shame that some people can take advantage of the gun laws here, but they are all unconstitutional so they should be broken.
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 9:47:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/14/2002 9:48:46 AM EDT by John91498]
Originally Posted By c-rock: Fuck those police officers, they broke the laws of the land, and they need to pay for it like the rest of us. Noone is above the law. throw the book at them, send them to upstate Chino, and learn how Tyrone wants to bunk with them. Learn about the big black cold sausage. Flame away, but if you or I were caught with one, we be learning the same. c-rock
View Quote
Dude, we're just talking forgery. I sign my boss's name all the time. Worse that's gonna happen is the cops are gonna get a slap on the wrist.
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 10:01:17 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 10:13:07 AM EDT
Originally Posted By John91498: Dude, we're just talking forgery. I sign my boss's name all the time. Worse that's gonna happen is the cops are gonna get a slap on the wrist.
View Quote
They send people to jail for forgery, and these guys broke the law. They purchased, and took possession of a ban weapon from common subjects in CA. They took posession of a rifle with banned features since 94. If I did that in CA, I be going to jail.
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 10:21:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/14/2002 10:24:10 AM EDT by Big_Bear]
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 10:28:12 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Big_Bear: and the turnover rate is high.
View Quote
Gee, I wonder why.
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 10:49:28 AM EDT
Why didn't they just build them in the so called "evil" configuration like everyone else has been since 94? Morons...
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 11:15:18 AM EDT
Originally Posted By c-rock: They send people to jail for forgery, and these guys broke the law. They purchased, and took possession of a ban weapon from common subjects in CA. They took posession of a rifle with banned features since 94. If I did that in CA, I be going to jail.
View Quote
How many people have you heard that went to jail for forgery? Unless the crime results in the loss of millions, I doubt anyone has done time for forgery. And what the heck do you mean by "common subjects?"
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 11:47:20 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 11:57:52 AM EDT
Originally Posted By CalGat: [yawn] Another LA Times Witchhunt. Screw the Caliban. Just goes to prove what actual beat officers think of our stupid gun laws. Never believe what the chief's say, they are too political. Besides, who has a greater likelyhood of armed thugs coming to their house seeking revenge: joe citizen or an LAPD officer? I agree that its a shame that some people can take advantage of the gun laws here, but they are all unconstitutional so they should be broken.
View Quote
Then let then join the NRA or the GOA (or both) and fight it out ALONG SIDE US. You and I can claim to ignore unconstitutional laws all we want, but they are PART OF THE SYSTEM that will come kick down our doors, on orders. Until we're all in the SAME boat, we're bound to start firing cannonballs at eachother.
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 12:05:53 PM EDT
Originally Posted By John91498:
View Quote
How many people have you heard that went to jail for forgery? Unless the crime results in the loss of millions, I doubt anyone has done time for forgery. And what the heck do you mean by "common subjects?"
View Quote
Many do. I saw one dude on HBO this sunday that did. Common Subjects mean common civilians. Listen, I am not a cop hater, nor am I a Anti. Thing is, I believe in the rule of law. These cops are not above the law. They forged government documents, they purchased illegal rifles configured under the 94 fed laws, and the laws of Califoria. They broke laws, committed crimes. Throw the book at them Dano! [;)] c-rock
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 12:17:16 PM EDT
Originally Posted By c-rock: Many do. I saw one dude on HBO this sunday that did. Common Subjects mean common civilians. Listen, I am not a cop hater, nor am I a Anti. Thing is, I believe in the rule of law. These cops are not above the law. They forged government documents, they purchased illegal rifles configured under the 94 fed laws, and the laws of Califoria. They broke laws, committed crimes. Throw the book at them Dano! [;)] c-rock
View Quote
What did that guy on HBO forge? What was his crime? The cops didn't forge government documents. The docs were just "permission slips" to buy guns. Sorta like a purchase order. Haven't you ever lied to get something you want? I lie to chicks all the time. ;)
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 12:17:42 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Garand_Shooter: I could be wrong, but if these guys purchased post ban LE only weapons with forged paperwork, wouldn't that be a violation of the 94 ban, and therefore a [red]Federal Crime[/red] as well? Wouldn't they be guilty of possession of an illegal SAW under the 94 ban since they did not actually have departmental permission? Hmmm.... If you or I forged paerwork to buy prohibited weapons we would be in big trouble, and if we had post ban wweapons with all the evil features we would stand a good chance of prosecution..... It will be interesting to see what happens here.
View Quote
You or I would be doing at least 5 years in federal prison they would just get a slap on the wrist! i think the LAPD sucks they bitched and moaned about the north hollywood shootout but if they had these evil rifles to begin with that robbery would have been done overwith sooner! that chief guy would get his head out of his ass just maybe the cops would have a chance also lawyers are to blame to because they sue anyone for anything a cop would do.
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 12:21:43 PM EDT
"Any officer who faked a letter to obtain an assault weapon could be guilty of a felony" COULD BE? Gee I guess if an ordinary citizen 'faked' a signature on a firearms form, COULD that be a felony?
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 12:23:16 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 12:51:59 PM EDT
Call in ATF! Dial in the FBI! Bring in the Snipers! Bring back Janet Reno! Lets GET EM! [;D]
Top Top