Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2004 9:05:43 AM EDT
My Lady vet insists that I have my 14 month old Lab nurtered. I know of people who had it done to their dogs and said after, the dog hates me now..? This is serious stuff here. Any input is gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,
blade409
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:06:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you want puppies?  

If not, then snip him.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:07:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Labs are dumb.  They won't know the difference.

Besides, if you neuter them when they're still young, they have years to forget about it.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:07:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Just will be a pain in the ass not to snip, unless you want puppys. He will be a major pain.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:09:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I've raised lots of dogs, had every male nutered. None of them have ever hated me afterwards.

Pull his spark plugs.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:09:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:10:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:10:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Unless you plan to bred him, snip, snip!
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:11:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Are you going to want a full grown lab humping your leg this time next year?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:11:59 AM EDT
[#9]
YES...NEUTER HIM! People who say "the dog hates me now" are being hyper sensitive and full of BS. If you disagree, and he gets out and knocks some bitch up, I think you should spend a day at the local animal shelter watching them euthanize perfectly healthy dogs that nobody wanted to give a good home to (I did that job for a year as a pre-vet student and it was one of the hardest things I have had to do). Dont be part of the problem. Neuter him.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:12:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:12:22 AM EDT
[#11]
You can have him nutered and they can put plastic balls in place of the real ones so he still looks like a man and can lick his nuts.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:12:51 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

That's the best laugh I've had all day, thanks.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:13:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:14:08 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
YES...NEUTER HIM! People who say "the dog hates me now" are being hyper sensitive and full of BS. If you disagree, and he gets out and knocks some bitch up, I think you should spend a day at the local animal shelter watching them euthanize perfectly healthy dogs that nobody wanted to give a good home to (I did that job for a year as a pre-vet student and it was one of the hardest things I have had to do). Dont be part of the problem. Neuter him.

So tell me...how do you feel about cats?

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:14:46 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
My Vet wanted me to do that too--I just told him I'd get my dog neutered when his wife (also a Vet) got him neutered.  He didn't bring it up again.  There are minor health benefits (long term) in favor of it, but mostly it's just a money-maker for Vetrinarians.  

wow....just wow.

Too bad they dont have a people shelter where the 'extras' and 'unwanteds' are euthanized too.

I dont care how careful people say they are. If everybody was such a great dog owner millions of these guys wouldnt be getting killed every year.

Neuter Your Dog
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:15:33 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Labs are dumb.  They won't know the difference.

Besides, if you neuter them when they're still young, they have years to forget about it.  

LOL...!

Ditto that, besides they're not your nads you'll never feel a thing!

PS---Our newest rescue is a 3yr old MinPin male (8lb's) who I had fixed as soon as I got him and he still trys to kick my 140lb male Rotts ass.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:16:44 AM EDT
[#17]
They are supposedly less aggressive or tempermental without them.
That is a definite plus.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:18:27 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My Vet wanted me to do that too--I just told him I'd get my dog neutered when his wife (also a Vet) got him neutered.  He didn't bring it up again.  There are minor health benefits (long term) in favor of it, but mostly it's just a money-maker for Vetrinarians.  

wow....just wow.

Too bad they dont have a people shelter where the 'extras' and 'unwanteds' are euthanized too.

They do..it's called abortion.  I am assuming that upsets you alot more then this right?

I dont care how careful people say they are. If everybody was such a great dog owner millions of these guys wouldnt be getting killed every year.

Neuter Your Dog

Or you can just be a responsible pet owner and keep your animal inside.  If it does get out and makes a litter than just shoot the puppies if you don't want them.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:19:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:19:59 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not to forget, the nice suprise he will leave on your leg.  I would be happy to be able to live my entire life with out dog jizz on me... how about you?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:21:52 AM EDT
[#21]
If you decide to have this done, realize that with male dogs, you will tend to "get what you have" when the neuter is done. That is, males get several spikes of testosterone over the first two or so years of their life (females are different...but we all know that!) so that IF you want a male dog that ACTS like a male dog, then either do not have him neutered or wait until after he is two or so. If, on the other hand, you don't want him pissing on everything, having a tendency to roam if he is allowed, maybe dominance-fighting with other un-neutered males, and don't mind seeing his conditioning never quite get the same results as with an un-neutered male, then pull his plug.

Since all three of my GSDs are serious, bite trained dogs, I would never think of spaying or neutering before five years at the very least, but then my dogs don't get out and wander and are not allowed to fight with other dogs...dog agression CAN be controlled. (My male will, however, piss on anything vertical if I don't stop him or mske certain he takes a break first!)
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:22:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:24:19 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

wow....just wow.

They do..it's called abortion.  I am assuming that upsets you alot more then this right?

Neuter Your Dog

Or you can just be a responsible pet owner and keep your animal inside.  If it does get out and makes a litter than just shoot the puppies if you don't want them.

Sgtar15

so..with this logic....wife has triplets, doesnt want em...shoot them too?

You can get your dog spayed while she is carrying puppies, unless you really want to wait until they come full term and put a bullet in them
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:26:30 AM EDT
[#24]
I had my dog snipped and I regrettd it as he got older, I wished I could have bred him out before he passed. I would have love to have on of his offspring for my kids.

IMHO, if you care for your dog and dont let him run wild, there is no reason to do it. You are just limited an option that you may want later, as I did. I miss that old dog.
CH
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:26:41 AM EDT
[#25]
I feel that all pets owners,....unless they plan on breeding their pets, should have them fixed.  We have a very big problem in the US because of pet owners not doing this, that is the main reason the shelter are full. Your dog will be fine, just get him snipped.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:27:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Do it!
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:28:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Get your dog fixed.  They will not know the difference but you will.  Fixing your dog also prolongs their life and makes them happier without all of the hormones.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:30:53 AM EDT
[#28]
If you are worried that he won't like you then get him a set of these...

www.neuticles.com/index1.html

NeuticlesBuddy is in the backseat. He's quivering, looking at you apprehensively. He knows that this isn't the way to the park.
You hope that Buddy doesn't know what's in store for him. You know that it is the best thing for him but you just can't get it out of your mind that you're bringing your best friend to the vet to get his balls whacked off.

<ahem> I mean, to get neutered.

You think about how he is going to look different; how he isn't going to feel the same. And what about that post-neutering stress syndrome (PNSS) which you heard about on the Howard Stern Show? You think about changing your mind. Maybe you'll tell them that you're afraid to put your dog under anaesthesia.

But wait!

Have you heard about NEUTICLES???

NEUTICLES are essentially fake testicles which are implanted into the scrotum at the time of neutering. They come in two types of materials; polyprophylene, which is a hard "space-age" polymer and solid silicone, which is much softer and provides an "amazingly natural result". Although they are most commonly used in dogs, they also have cat, horse and bull (!!) NEUTICLES. I can't figure out why a bull would need a pair of fake testicles but if you have an animal which is interested, then you can acquire the silicone version at the reasonable price of $695. Cat NEUTICLES are much cheaper at only $25 a pair.

The operation to implant the NEUTICLES is very easy (I've done it) and is reportedly 100% safe and complication free. The end result is very cosmetically appealing. More importantly though, your pet will theoretically not know that it is neutered and will not suffer the apparent long-term emotional distress from losing a body part.

If your pet has already been neutered without NEUTICLES, there is still hope. Some dogs were neutered up to 5 years previously and were still successfully implanted with a new set of testicles. It makes me wonder if these dogs experienced emotional distress from acquiring a new body part-- "hey, where in the heck did these babies come from?? ARRRGH!!!"

So, if you are reluctant to neuter your pet because he will look different or if you think he needs something to lick while your relatives are visiting, then consider the NEUTICLES. And if you really want to impress your friends, you can also buy NEUTICLE accessories such as bumper stickers, keychains and necklaces.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:32:26 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

FINALLY a REAL factual recommendation.  

My 4 year old Cheseapeke Bay Retriever is uncut.  He IS a pain, but that's because he's a Chessie.  Every day he needs a good hard workout, or he paces around like a caged tiger.  But that's it, and that's typical of the breed.  

He only RARELY attempts to hump my lef or my wife's, and then a stern correction is enough to make him stop.  

He needed training at 8 months to get him under control, but again, Chessies are SUPER hardheaded and prone to agression if not properly trained.  

The training worked WONDERS for his behavior and now is is a super sweet dog and listens very well, on and off the leash.  

Intact dogs may have a slightly increased risk of benign prostate enlargement around age 8 or so, and at that time, if that happens, I will consider having him neutered.  Also, there is a risk of testicular cancer that no dog can have if he doesn't have testicles.  

Most any BEHAVIOR problem can be corrected and is likely not directly attributable to having testicles.

My dog has never pissed in the house, fought with other dogs, or exhibited any of the so-called "typical" attributes of intact dogs.  

Also, neutered dogs are MUCH more likely to have weight and consequently joint and hip (in the larger breeds) problems.  They may also be slightly less inclined to truly work hard, as for hunting or other working  breeds.  

I don't belive in it and my experience with my Chessie confirms that belief.  The benefits are relatively slight and just don't warrant neutering.  Neutering is for LAZY dog owners who don't want to train, and keep training their dogs.  

If you want a docile, NON-dog, then, by all means, have him fixed.  

If you want a DOG, then leave him be.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:35:19 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not to forget, the nice suprise he will leave on your leg.  I would be happy to be able to live my entire life with out dog jizz on me... how about you?

Yeah, that's not really on my list of things to experience before I die.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:38:24 AM EDT
[#31]
I haven't seen this mentioned yet, but dogs that are neutered have a much longer life expectancy ... several years in many cases. Also reduces the chance that your dog would develop testicular tumors, prostate cancer, perianal tumors and hernias later in life ...

What everyone else said ... Unless he's breeding stock, then neuter him. I've got a 3 year old Labby and we had him neutered as early as the Vet recommended ... He hasn't lost ANY of the spark or personality that makes a great dog.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:38:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:43:53 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I will have a Chessie one day--one of the finest breeds.  Also one of the few breeds that have only been well bred--and not ruined by idiot backyard breeders selling them for pets.  As you alluded to, they require an owner who knows how to properly train and handle a large, rambunctious, strong-willed dog--who will die protecting your family, and break ice to retrieve a duck.  They are among the finest canines.  I'm glad you appreciate yours.  

Thanks.  

Jake comes from Best In Breed stock and from dogs who know how to hunt and are imminently trainable.  

He is slightly undersized according to the breed standard (~60 lbs.) but, to me, that is the PERFECT size for a Chessie.  Much larger, and with his power, he'd be uncontrollable.  As it is now, he needs a firm hand

He can go for HOURS in the field, running and retrieving, but I don't burn him out and always leave him with something extra so he wants to go back out the next time.  

He's also a little timid and indifferent around other dogs (t typcial) but sounds and acts FEROCIOUS toward unknown visitors invading the homestead space.  

Very smart too.  Too smart.  

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:44:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Unless you plan on showing him, get 'em clipped.

Waaay to many dogs out there already.

It's the responsible thing to do.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:45:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Yep!  Neuter that dog.  You should have done it when the dog was younger.  I've seen way too many mutts created and destroyed because of horny male dogs who manage to escape from even a well-fenced yard.  

GunLvr
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:01:32 AM EDT
[#36]
If you're not going to breed him and you don't have him neutered, we're just going to go ahead & assume that you either live in the ghetto or your house has wheels.  mmmkay?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:37:02 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
but then my dogs don't get out and wander and are not allowed to fight with other dogs...dog agression CAN be controlled.

There are those here who would disagree with you on that.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:51:17 AM EDT
[#38]
My lab is 16 months old and uncut.  It is a question of training, IMHO.  My dog has never tried to hump anybody and I won't tolerate it if he tried.  He must be worked out, but that is part of the deal.  I still don't know if I will breed him or not.  I will make that call next year after I hunt with him this year.  
Besides, that isn't something you do to a friend.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:20:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Dogs are smart, but you're their god. They won't "hate" you.

Think about it, your dog has a sex drive, and all he's ever gonna hump is inanimate objects and maybe your leg. If he ever gets a whiff of a female it will drive him nuts. Talk about frustration.

Do the dog a favor and get him snipped. It will remove a whole lot of unnecessary behavior and frustration.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:34:58 PM EDT
[#40]
I don't know about dogs, but male cats who have been neutered almost always die of renal failure in there early teens.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:41:33 PM EDT
[#41]
PM sent...

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:05:11 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
My lab is 16 months old and uncut.  It is a question of training, IMHO.  My dog has never tried to hump anybody and I won't tolerate it if he tried.  He must be worked out, but that is part of the deal.  I still don't know if I will breed him or not.  I will make that call next year after I hunt with him this year.  
Besides, that isn't something you do to a friend.

AAAAAAAND,  yet MORE sensible, real life advice resulting from experience that TRAINING overcomes the BEHAVIORAL issues associated with intact dogs.  

Side Point:
Ever seen a fat intact labrador?  

Me either.  

LOTS of fat neutered dogs.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:45:09 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm told a dog can receive a vasectomy and not make puppies, but still be male.  Why not?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:48:26 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:
but then my dogs don't get out and wander and are not allowed to fight with other dogs...dog agression CAN be controlled.

They would be wrong my man! Just ask any experienced Police Canine officer if this is not so...it's done all the time.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 3:39:12 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They would be wrong my man! Just ask any experienced Police Canine officer if this is not so...it's done all the time.

The local K9 officer has put two dogs down already because they keep biting him.

Him being an asshole might have something to do with it though.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 3:51:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 3:52:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Do it

get him cut -------they are happier for it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:07:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Since cats was brought up...

I too started to get defensive because the vets are so pushy about it.  But this is an animal you keep for your enjoyment, and unless you intend to breed, most pets will be a better pet for it.  Comfort yourself that farmers have done this for eons before the animal rights wackos ever existed.

They do downplay (like almost never mention) the negative effects on male cats. (Tim cats? not quite a tom any longer.) But an uncut tom is just not an indoor option period. If you wish to keep an uncut tom outdoors fine - but expect him to be gone a lot and be sure to have plenty of birth control on hand. (Wal-Mart a box of 550 pills cost about 7 or 8 bucks).  But female cats are different.  She will continue to come into heat until she gets pregnant, every two weeks or so for most of the season. If you merely prevent her from getting pregnant, she will develop ovarian cysts, then ovarian cancer.  The owner of the female bears the brunt of the unpleasantness anyway.  My cat was strictly indoors, and she came into her first heat cycle a couple months ahead  of her outdoor littermates (it was winter). I got her spayed as soon as the first cycle passed. (Talk about being "Queen for a day")
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 12:21:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top