Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/20/2006 5:48:43 PM EDT
Stopped at the local motorbike shop and they are carrying a brand touted as Honda's sister company (as the guy working there says).  As the story goes, they make a couple Honda's (scooter/motorbike?) and Honda simly puts their name on it.  Supposedly same with a couple other company's.  Apparently they have been on the market 10+ years in 75 other countries, and just recently available in the US.  They're made in Taiwan.  After a once over I was pretty impressed.  Looked at most of their line (minus the scooters) of motorcycles and four wheelers and they tend to be substantially cheaper than the premium brand companies (i.e., Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki)......anyone here familiar with them?

eta
We were looking at the 270cc version of this.....

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 10:49:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Kymco is one of the largest scooter manufacturers in Taiwan.  I have heard they sell very high quality goods to export markets, but within Taiwan the market is protected and all of the scooter makers sell garbage here.

I think they make/sell other-branded stuff within Taiwan (either Honda or Yamaha, I forget which) but that's because of the protectionist crap, not because the foreign company would have particularly wanted to partner with a local company.  (Any scooter or motorcycle being imported into Taiwan sells for at least double the price of a local model, because the import is taxed at a 100% rate.  Then you have to go through all sorts of crap to get it licensed.  This is why the vehicles sold here are pieces of shit.)
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:22:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Tag. The warehouse is near Spartanburg SC, just up the road from me about an hour. I've wondered as well.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:38:58 AM EDT
[#3]
We spoke with the shops owner and are working a deal on 2 of them (hopefully).

[bump for the morning crew]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:29:38 PM EDT
[#4]
What was the outcome?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:48:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Picked it up yesterday and overall am impressed.  The quality control is evident.

Fully Automatic Transmission
Disc Brakes
Color .....Matches my truck (pics later)
All electronic LED display w/ Fuel/speed/mileage/etc.
Liquid Cooled (has a itty bitty radiator)
Has a built in ball hitch receiver and plenty of power.

Once I get to take it for a full Run-Up, ......I'll post a Review w/ Pics.  I'd recommend one of these to any of the leading big 3 makers for various reasons.  If you are not using for work (like me) and just toying around/hunting....then this may be the way to go.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top