Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2008 9:50:54 AM EDT
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/2071319/Fake-bus-stop-keeps-Alzheimer%27s-patients-from-wandering-off.html

German nursing homes are using a novel strategy to stop Alzheimer's patients from wandering off: phantom bus stops.

The idea was first tried at Benrath Senior Centre in Düsseldorf, which pitched an exact replica of a standard stop outside, with one small difference: buses do not use it.

The centre had been forced to rely on police to retrieve patients who wanted to return to their often non-existent homes and families.

Then Benrath teamed up with a local care association called the "Old Lions". They went to the Rheinbahn transport network which supplied the bus stop.

"It sounds funny but it helps," said Franz-Josef Goebel, the chairman of the "Old Lions" association. (Pretty close to some else's name, eh?)

"Our members are 84 years old on average. Their short-term memory hardly works, but the long-term memory is still active.

"They know the green and yellow bus sign and remember that waiting there means they will go home."

The result is that errant patients now wait for their trip home at the bus stop, before quickly forgetting why they were there in the first place.

"We will approach them and say that the bus is coming later and invite them in for a coffee," said Richard Neureither, Benrath's director. "Five minutes later they have completely forgotten they wanted to leave."

The idea has proved so successful that it has now been adopted by several other homes across Germany.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:51:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:52:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:53:35 AM EDT
[#3]
If it's stupid, and it works, it's not stupid.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:53:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I think an Invisible Fence would be more effective.

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:54:44 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Clever

Yes
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:58:52 AM EDT
[#6]
nice. i am glad it works for them. helps the old folks keep some dignity also.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 10:03:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 10:05:57 AM EDT
[#8]
In Japan they have tea kettles which are connected to the phone line. If an elderly person doesn't make tea one morning the kettle will call for someone for come round and check on them
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 10:08:13 AM EDT
[#9]

lol
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 10:09:39 AM EDT
[#10]
cunning, simple yet effective.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 10:11:06 AM EDT
[#11]
That's thinking outside the bun.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 10:16:52 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
nice. i am glad it works for them. helps the old folks keep some dignity also.

Wait til' MilfHunter figures this out.

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 10:22:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Good for them.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 10:56:25 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't see how that would work better than shackles on the wrists and ankles.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:08:39 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I don't see how that would work better than shackles on the wrists and ankles.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:18:12 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
In Japan they have tea kettles which are connected to the phone line. If an elderly person doesn't make tea one morning the kettle will call for someone for come round and check on them

"We're the authorities, and we're here because your tea kettle reported that there might be a problem.  Please stand aside while we search".

I know the Japanese don't see much of a problem, but damn...
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:20:14 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"We're the authorities, and we're here because your tea kettle reported that there might be a problem.  Please stand aside while we search".

I'm having a "Brazil" flashback...

"They know the green and yellow bus sign and remember that waiting there means they will go home."

Here in America, they'd need to make it look like a 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis with an AARP sticker on the back bumper...
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:22:30 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who says it calls the police?  It could just call the family nurse, or hell probably a family member.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:26:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Anyone have some Depends I can borrow?
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:30:05 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Negative.  I am a meat popsicle.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:37:31 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

German nursing homes are using a novel strategy to stop Alzheimer's patients from wandering off: phantom bus stops.

I thought for sure he was going to say they brought the nursing home bus around after the stop filled up, and then drove them around to the front door.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:41:27 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
If it's stupid, and it works, it's not stupid.

+1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top