Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2002 8:10:44 PM EDT
I sit here typing slowly, sorely, stiffly.

Several other guys from the dept, a couple of Feds and I took an intro Defensive Tactics class teaching a system called Krav Maga last night and I cah say, it beat my a$$.

Apparantly it is the system taught to the IDF and Israeli Police and such. It seems really natural in a way.

I was wondering if anyone here has tried it or knows much about it...?

We did a bunc of drills, hundreds of punches, really works you up... and out... and then you go some more. The instructor says it is "extreme trainig."

The guy taught us a "pluck" technique to get out of chokeholds and the like and damned if it did not work AND put you in a position to lay some serious force to the face and throat of your attacker. Very fluid, and BELIEVE ME, I am no kung fu guy or any of that shit. Hell I can barely walk and chew gum! :)

It worked my fat butt like a dog!

Anyway, anyone have any info? I am trying to decide if the time and $ are worth it...

Asprin and sleep. Now.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 8:37:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Given that most people involved in law enforcement or the military have a finite amount of time to devote to personal defense skills, Krav Maga fits the bill nicely. While certainly not as in depth as many "traditional" martial arts styles it is more practical for the person who isn't looking to "master" a art form.

KM is simple, basic and effective. It is also created under the doctrine that is is auxillary to weapons. It offers good results with limited investments of time and money. I'd recommend you stay with it. If they day comes when you are down to this, no amount of time, training or money spent will seem excessive.

But just a word of caution. Currently Krav Maga is the "flavor of the month" among martial arts schools. Just like Jeet Kune Do instructors after Bruce Lees death in the 70s, Ninja instructors in the 80s and Gracie JuJutsu instructors in the 90s, unqaulified well marketed posers are coming out of the woodwork.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 9:13:02 PM EDT
[#2]
FiveO:

Here's a couple of links to Krav Maga and one for American Combato, aka, JEN-DO-TAO.

I've met with the 'Creator' of JEN-DO-TAO.
He was a Gentleman.  
His style and execution is 100% no BS.
I liked his directness and the full-on way of what he teaches.
A couple of my cohorts have gone on to be in his classes.
I have yet to decide between the two.

SteyrAUG has a sense of which is more appropriate and how they would apply.
I agree that Krav Maga would serve most LEO's and interested Citizens the best.
American Combato is definetly more geared toward mastering an art, if you will.

Read a bit on the links and enjoy the info:

AMERICAN COMBATO -
[url]http://www.americancombato.com/[/url]

KRAV MAGA -
[url]http://kravmaga.com/Home/home.html[/url]

related to above -
FISTS OF JEWRY -
[url]http://www.newtimesbpb.com/issues/2001-10-25/feature.html/1/index.html[/url]

Aspirin and sleep for me, too.  Good night.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 7:14:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info and the links!

I know I need it. I believe it is a valid system. I know it will suck. Seems to be best bang for the buck. I guess I may give it a go.

Checklist:
1 mouthpiece
asprin
1 cup
asprin
hand wrap
asprin
sparring gloves
asprin
oxygen bottle
fortitude

Link Posted: 4/11/2002 8:04:09 PM EDT
[#4]
No beating, however severe, in the training hall will be as brutal as what you will suffer under the mercy of those who would harm you. The only thing preventing you from being at the mercy of those who would do you harm is the ability to harm them first.

Think about that next time you are get tired.

It is better for violent people to fear you, than to count on their humanity.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top