BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2004 3:43:30 PM EDT
www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/metropolitan/2811009

Sept. 23, 2004, 12:56PM

Koresh's Camaro goes on the auction block

Associated Press

FREDRICKSBURG -- A 1968 Chevrolet Camaro once owned by former Branch Davidian leader David Koresh is expected to fetch up to $60,000 at auction this weekend.

The black two-door Camaro was parked at the Davidian compound during a 51-day siege by federal agents in 1993 that ended with Koresh and nearly 80 followers dying as the complex near Waco burned to the ground.

Auctioneer Daniel Kruse of Auburn, Ind.-based Kruse International said the 500-horsepower engine has the words "DAVID'S 427 GO GOD," which Koresh had stamped on the engine block. The "427" refers to the 427 cubic-inch engine.

Kruse said the car is drivable and will be sold as is at a classic car auction in the Hill Country town of Fredericksburg on Saturday.

The car has been repaired and repainted but still has markings where a tank bumped into it, Kruse said.

Kruse said he expects it to sell for as much as $60,000. Even without Koresh, he said the car was worth about $40,000.

While bidding is open to anyone, Kruse said he hoped a museum or private collector who appreciates the car's historical significance buys it.

"It belongs in a museum. I think this car brings back the story of what this is all about. It becomes a piece of Texas and American history," Kruse said.

The car was seized by the Drug Enforcement Administration after the fire and sold to a Waco wholesaler, who repainted it and sold it to a private owner.

Many survivors and relatives dispute government investigations that found the Davidians committed suicide by starting the blaze and then shooting themselves.

The Davidians' civil suit was dismissed in 2000 in Waco and last year a federal appeals court rejected their attempt to collect damages from the government.

Anyone here interested?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 3:50:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I wish I had $60K, but not for that
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 3:54:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I still want to give the unabomber $150 for his 30-06. He said that's what it's worth and the government won't give him the $ for it.

I'd let him spend the money at the canteena and I'd have a very odd piece of history.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 3:55:49 PM EDT
[#3]

The car has been repaired and repainted but still has markings where a tank bumped into it

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:53:52 PM EDT
[#4]

The car was seizedSTOLEN by the Drug Enforcement Administration after the fire set by the FBI and sold to a Waco wholesaler, who repainted it and sold it to a private owner.

Oh yeah, first the AFT illegally storms the compound, then get's the FBI to kill most of the people in there, then they steal their property and sell it to cover their costs of committing a crime.

Nice....
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:37:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I thought I saw it get crunched by the ATF machines surrounding the compound?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:47:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I thought I saw it get crunched by the ATF machines surrounding the compound?

It probably buffed right out.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:51:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Must have been one hell of a restoration job after being run over by a tank.  You know some one will bid big money on it just because of it's "history."
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:52:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe someone from here will buy it.

You know, out of sympathy.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:01:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Why does it seem like a Camaro would be the only thing that nutcase would have drove?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:41:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Depending on your beliefs, One could purchase this car and say
" Jesus built my hot rod"
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:42:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Did the new paint job include some really cool flames down the side?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:43:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Depending on your beliefs, One could purchase this car and say
" Jesus built my hot rod"

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:56:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I remember seeing that for sale the first time, years back.  What kind of weirdo would spend that much money on something like that?  
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:02:34 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I remember seeing that for sale the first time, years back.  What kind of weirdo would spend that much money on something like that?  

Tim McVeigh, but he's dead and he would have had to sell, like 20,000 copies of "The Turner Diaries" at the gun shows to pay for it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:50:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:57:10 AM EDT
[#17]
How did the fucking DEA sieze it? Did the Branch Davidians have some kind of drug involvment?
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:23:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Oh yeah, I want to own a car that belonged to this guy! Boy , I'll be taking a lone out right now! Watch Michal Moore buy the damn thing.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:24:57 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Why does it seem like a Camaro would be the only thing that nutcase would have drove?

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:53:37 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Did the new paint job include some really cool flames down the side?

What's the matter with you?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top